Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?

I just dont understand it "yet".
When I had my SRT4 I had tried out 2 different sized TB's one being a ported one of 55mm from the stock 49/50mm and it was a decent gain in HP/TQ. I then upgraded to a 60mm and the gains were almost like 16hp/18tq with just a TB and spacer? Everytime I see a post about a new TB they say why ? why ? why?

Why are they so bad with the Evo?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you really want one, you should get it
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

thats not an answer emag..... they give a lot of power on ls1's and lt1's too...

bump for y there are no advantages... or are the stock one sufficient enough that going bigger would be useless
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

I went with AMS's 50 trim turbo kit, and they said I did not need to go with their 70mm throttle body. The stock one is sufficient unless you are making 650+hp is my conclusion.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

thats good...less parts to buy and replace....evo's are sick
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I know for a fact that the WORKS Aperture TB is a FANTASTIC addition to a lightly modded evo. Good for at least a few ponies, butt-dyno proven or not. I'll guaran-d@mn-tee it!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

why you would replace a TB:

first off, the smaller the TB you have, the smoother your throttle response will be. the reason being you have a higher resolution over the amount of air getting into the manifold. this is good for daily driving and generally any time you are at part throttle.

the downfall of a smaller throttle body is that it does cause a pressure drop, i.e. less airflow i.e. less power. the pressure drop is going to be for the most part insiginificant, and will only be a factor at WOT.

a larger throttle body at WOT allows more air to get into the engine due to the larger area of the opening. this will have less of a pressure drop, and less power loss. again, for the most part insiginicant at stock to mild engines.

*a common misconception of a larger throttlebody is that it gives more power, when in reality its just the driver feeling the throttle plate opening faster. (think, with a bigger throttle plate it requires less pedal throw for the same amount of airflow as say a smaller or stock TB).

the only time you would actually be able to measure a difference is when the throttle plate is a restriction... the problem being it is a part designed to restrict airflow. only at WOT, at high RPM's is a larger bore throttlebody worth changing out. and that is only assuming the current throttle body is restricting the system (and at 650 hp, i wouldn't doubt the stock TB is a restriction).

*edit: if your one of the few with huge mass flow rates, then yes, you will actually have more power with the bigger TB. for the rest of us, its just the feeling of opening the trottle plate faster/larger.

Last edited by KevinD; Aug 21, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Im guessing its not that much of a bottleneck as it is with other cars? The stock is 60mm and the Works is 65 correct?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have 65mm TB. I got this because I didn't like the throttle response of my Evo. It was too tame for my taste. I didn't notice any power gain from it. I guess stock 60mm is large enough for stock turbo.
Get bigger TB if you like the bit violent throttle response like me.

Last edited by taenaive; Aug 21, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsurugi-san
I know for a fact that the WORKS Aperture TB is a FANTASTIC addition to a lightly modded evo. Good for at least a few ponies, butt-dyno proven or not. I'll guaran-d@mn-tee it!
Can you show us these facts? What makes it fantastic if it's only a few ponies? And are you saying it's only based on your butt dyno? I hope that's not the case, since you said it's a "fact."

It costs $350, and you say it's fantastic on a lightly-modded Evo, so does that $350 get you comparable gains to a flash ($200-400), cams ($450-550), LICP ($200), MBC ($85), TBE ($600-800)? All of those would be great mods on a lightly-modded Evo and can be considered anywhere from good to FANTASTIC. For the Works TB to be FANTASTIC, it would need to provide 20-30whp for that price...like a flash.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

What if it was good for 10whp Warr? would it be a waste or Fantastic. I havent seen proof that TB's dont help yet.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Geez Warr --- sorry for breathing up all your air!

Apparently, our opinions are worthless without documentation from independent testing agencies, so I'll just go back to conversing with positive individuals.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimateone
What if it was good for 10whp Warr? would it be a waste or Fantastic. I havent seen proof that TB's dont help yet.
10whp is decent, but not for $350. It's a mod that doesn't need to be done until you're on a big turbo needing to flow tons of air, otherwise the stocker is not a restriction.

Why do you need proof that TB's don't help on a stock turbo'd car? Why wouldn't you want proof that they DO help? Look at all the fast cars in the drag racing section, then notice how many haven't even though of touching their TB. Then, go grab all the Works customers who for some strange reason bought this part for $350, and then see how many of them are fast because of it. It will be a startling result!! Ok, not really, it will just make you shrug and wonder why people pay so much money for things that cost so much for little reason, sorta like the Works o2 housing.

Tsuguri, not sure what you mean. Opinions are fine, but you stated it as FACT without ANY proof whatsoever. You also said it was FANTASTIC but with no justification. Are you saying it's just your blind opinion that it's fantastic because you have one, or because you made great gains on the dyno or at the track? I mean, if you have detailed facts, please show us. Somehow, I doubt this fantastic mod slipped by all of the top Evo shops...you know, the ones who now run 8s and 9s yet don't recommend it to customers?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

so i just went with a AMS intake manifold and got a 75mm throttle body with it. the car is running a gt35r and alcohol injection , without the alcohol it was pushing 416 whp on 91 **** gas. Car will be tuned after the instal but now im wondering if im going to see any performance gains with the 75mm TB over the stock 60mm. i just assumed that it was better to have a TB that matched the intake manifold size and with a larger turbo pushing 500+whp with alchy it was a wise choice am i wrong?

Quick Reply: Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?