Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The reason you MUST do a "boost leak test"!! Don't pass go. Read this.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I did a boost leak test and found some leaks that I fixed. I have a forge mbc and it leaks from the vent hole at around 5psi and up. Is this normal? When I did the test I clamped off the hose to the mbc to check the system. I have the hard spring in it and its backed off all the way. It goes to 22 psi at full boost.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I did a boost leak test and found some leaks that I fixed. I have a forge mbc and it leaks from the vent hole at around 5psi and up. Is this normal? When I did the test I clamped off the hose to the mbc to check the system. I have the hard spring in it and its backed off all the way. It goes to 22 psi at full boost.
The leak from the MBC is normal. You just have to plug it (with tape for instance)
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrenaline718
I'm going to bring this one back from the dead.
I put on a TBE, Forge MBC, Walbro fuel pump, and cone filter air intake, and somewhere in there started getting a P0171 "System too Lean - Bank 1" ECU code thrown on a regular basis. I have checked everything I could, and I am wondering if I could be getting this kind of code so constantly from a boost leak somewhere in the system?

I am going to fabricate a boost leak tester like the ones described in this thread (something like this one - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html ) and check it, but I am wondering if anyone else has had a System too Lean ECU code actually being thrown from a boost leak?
same thing happened to me..the leak was on the vacuum line that connects to the diverter valve.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lazeum
The leak from the MBC is normal. You just have to plug it (with tape for instance)
Ok thank you I just wanted to be sure it was normal
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone should have pressure tester. After I made mine it got borrowed TONS by all the local guys. They are invaluable.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

I will be checking mine today
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had a perrin intake, couldnt you disconnect the maf and then connect a piece of pvc pipe/valve stem where the maf went to perform this test?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
If you had a perrin intake, couldnt you disconnect the maf and then connect a piece of pvc pipe/valve stem where the maf went to perform this test?
Yes you can but the intake pipe is not normally pressurized. It would make it easier though
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

you could, problem is.... and i stress this to all of you.. but you need to boost leak test close to what you will be runing for boost. sometimes you wont find a leak if your boost gauge only shows 5psi while testing, up it to 15psi or 20psi and might find a T-bolt not tight enough, and so on... so your leak tester that you"make" must be able to take alot of air pressure without shooting off.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbergmeier
you could, problem is.... and i stress this to all of you.. but you need to boost leak test close to what you will be runing for boost. sometimes you wont find a leak if your boost gauge only shows 5psi while testing, up it to 15psi or 20psi and might find a T-bolt not tight enough, and so on... so your leak tester that you"make" must be able to take alot of air pressure without shooting off.
I used to own a WRX and it had a perrin inlet hose, similar to the perrin intake. You would pressure test on the end of that as well, and it held around 25psi with no problem, and I am assuming the perrin intake is made of the same material.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

ah, I'll be ok. My clamps are tight.................lol j/k it's always a good idea to do this test!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:39 PM

yeah this is definitely something i need to do
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just cap off the valve cover breather and BCS if you do, otherwise you may leak boost out of one of them (and its not great to pressurize the head)
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

i need to do this ASAP
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:23 PM

so the pressure should hold say at 22psi if i pump that into the motor that should hold if there is no leak?

Quick Reply: The reason you MUST do a "boost leak test"!! Don't pass go. Read this.