Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The reason you MUST do a "boost leak test"!! Don't pass go. Read this.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
So long as the TB is closed, the small IAC passage allows only a trickle of air into the manifold (didn't I say this already?). Your boost gauge is probably connected to the intake manifold. If you want to pressurize the manifold fully, hold the TB open as pressure is applied.
Yes you said that already and I did not get it cos it was very late lol. I replaced the gasket a few hours ago and its building pressure on the gauge now and it seems like everything is ok now - just need to take it out and test it today
Old Jul 1, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_IX_Guy
Could someone please tell me which lines I need to cap off? Is it on the FPR or the boost controller? Im running the AEM tru boost gauge/controller.
zip tie FPR. Disconnect MBC and Cap.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danner
zip tie FPR. Disconnect MBC and Cap.
You mean disconnect the black&blue vac hose from the fpr and cap it off? Also disconnect both hoses from the mbc and cap them off also? Sorry if its a noob question.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

I could have sworn the stock turbo in my case the stock IX turbo has an 3" inlet. Not a 2.5" shown in directions.

Is this correct?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Congrats on bumping a thread from 2006. Gotta love the EvoM Search
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Info is info time is irrelevant.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read this whole thread and not once did I see it mentioned that not only are u losing power with a boost leak but your also shortening the life of your turbo as it is working harder to try to achieve max boost since its bleeding out. So theoretically if you have a massive boost leak, at 25 psi your turbo could be spinning fast enough to actually be making over 40 psi but its being let out because of a leak.

I can tell I have a leak usually by the sound of my turbo. If it sounds like its spooling ridiculously loud then I know I prob have a leak. I also do test every oil change or so while the oil drains.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by awdordie
I read this whole thread and not once did I see it mentioned that not only are u losing power with a boost leak but your also shortening the life of your turbo as it is working harder to try to achieve max boost since its bleeding out. So theoretically if you have a massive boost leak, at 25 psi your turbo could be spinning fast enough to actually be making over 40 psi but its being let out because of a leak.

I can tell I have a leak usually by the sound of my turbo. If it sounds like its spooling ridiculously loud then I know I prob have a leak. I also do test every oil change or so while the oil drains.
Not always the case - sometimes if the leak is pretty bad, the turbo will not even spool close to its desired psi...
Old Jul 8, 2011, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

im spiking at 25psi and dropping boost down to 20psi by the time i reach 7500 rpms. the car was tuned with the mods i have on my sig on 93oct and it ONLY MADE 340whp and 317wtq! could this be a good sign of a boost leak?? i feel that the numbers i got are extremely low for an evo 9 with stock turbo any advice and inputs will be highly appreciated. thanks in advanced
Old Jul 8, 2011, 05:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
If you still have factory cams, this figure seems about right. If you had a boost leak, I think you'd see less boost, but it's always a good idea to check for leaks anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

If you still have factory cams, this figure seems about right. If you had a boost leak, I think you'd see less boost, but it's always a good idea to check for leaks anyway.
yea its on stock cams. i cross my fingers and hope that its a boost leak and not something else. those numbers seem to be wayyyy off
Old Jul 8, 2011, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

They do not seem off if one still has factory cams, and you do.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

They do not seem off if one still has factory cams, and you do.
excuse my language but how the hell are other guys making more power with less mods than me? ive seen up to 360whp 350wtq @25psi. compering these numbers to mine is a real eye opener. im sorry im just venting i just want the motor/car to be healthy and make the power it should.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

And I saw 370whp on 93 octane using an EVO VIII turbo with 19psi at the hp peak, but with a different set of upgrades.

FWIW, your exhaust is the most effective upgrade you've made. Those others shouldn't deliver more than a few peanuts at your power level. Right now, you are potentially leaving 20-30whp on the table with the factory cams. And of course, the tuning is always a substantial variable.

Nevertheless, every turbo car on the street should be periodically checked for pressure leaks.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

And I saw 370whp on 93 octane using an EVO VIII turbo with 19psi at the hp peak, but with a different set of upgrades.

FWIW, your exhaust is the most effective upgrade you've made. Those others shouldn't deliver more than a few peanuts at your power level. Right now, you are potentially leaving 20-30whp on the table with the factory cams. And of course, the tuning is always a substantial variable.

Nevertheless, every turbo car on the street should be periodically checked for pressure leaks.
yea your right theres no point in comparing cars and what they each make. every car is built differently and theres way too many variables that can change the outcome of what you'll make. ill do a boost leak this weekend. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: The reason you MUST do a "boost leak test"!! Don't pass go. Read this.