Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stalling at Idle and Wierd Noise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stalling at Idle and Wierd Noise

Hi all!

I've been here for almost a year now, but I know I don't post much... the search function seems to take care of all my questions..... soo excellent site..

Anyways, I am having a problem now that I can't seem to find with the search (and sorry if it is out there). I just drove to my friends house to have a b33r or 6 and when I pulled into his driveway my car stalled. So I tried to restart it... it puttered for about 1 second and then stalled again. I went for a drive around the block and as long as I keep a little gas on, it's ok (or in gear).

So... I pulled off the air filter and housing and that upper intercooler pipe to see if anything jumped out at me, like gunk or some sortof carbon buildup and my non-mechanic self said everything is ok.

Well on the drive home (after sobering up of course), when I let off the gas, I can hear my BOV and it doesn't sound good.... at all. I've heard VTA's before and this sounded like it was crying. I slightly heard my BOV since the day I bought the car but there was nothing wrong until now. Now it is loud.

I did pull the BOV (btw, this is totally stock except for a K&N) and i pressed the valve up and it did move up with a good deal of force.

So... do any of you experts have any suggestions? Also, if I do take this back to the dealer (53,000 miles) is any of this covered under warranty? I hope it is somthing I can fix because the dealer around here has pissed me off quite a bit and I told them they will only see my car for warranty work, but thats a whole 'nother story.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont believe they warranty 53.000 mile cars.. maybe if u have an extended. . but i thought the factory gave out after 36,000 but ur problem is probly an easy fix somewhere..
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warranty is over for an 03 due to years and mileage, but you may still have the powertrain limited warranty (engine/drivetrain). Not sure if that would apply to this, though.

Sounds like maybe an IC pipe popped off, but then you'd have complained about not being able to boost at all. I can't imagine what would cause it to suddenly start stalling and making the BOV sound different.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:45 PM

Update.

I had my gf start the car while I opened the TB a little to keep it running. after some time it started to idle ok without stalling.... and the AF guage on my turbo timer said about 14.5 which is about normal. I did however notice a loud clicking noise coming from the fuel rail/injector area. (screwdriver to ear). Is that normal?

Right now it's idleing semi-ok with it dropping about 300 rpms every few seconds. If I bang on the top of the air filter box, it stalls.

Thanks,
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

maybe adjust your idle.???
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:43 AM

Not a bad idea, just it's wierd that it would do that all of the sudden...

I'm going out to work on it again.

Thx
Old Sep 17, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

well my first thought was that there was a vacuum line problem, but with the BOV sound chang i don't know. good luck, let us know the outcome
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:41 PM

Hey guys, the BOV thing was the feeder line was pinched so I cleared that problem OK.

I played with the idle screw and it didn't seem to help. It has been put back roughly to stock.

It is running really rich now... my AF reads 10.0 at idle and during most driving. It can't go any lower. Even when coasting in gear it used to read 20.0 and now it may hit about 14 when I"m coasting in gear.

Any ideas? I don't hear a vacuum leak and so far all hoses look OK, but I can't see the ones under the manifold.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:42 PM

And it doesn't let me boost... it cuts off at about .5 bar... maybe a safe mode from the AF ratio??