Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual boost controller on stock engine?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no need to cap the boost control solenoid's nipples. However do leave the solenoid's electrical wiring connected. Also there is a nipple on the MAF pipe which you need to cap off.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

In a way, I think that perhaps for a first-timer, the compressor discharge nipple is the better choice for a boost reference source for an MBC install. Most guys on here prefer the compressor discharge nipple as a boost reference source. So, there is a somewhat of a general consensus on the board that the discharge nipple is the "better" option.

If you go with the discharge nipple you don't have to cut any factory hoses. Also, by using that nipple as a source then you won't have to cap it off.

In the pic that you mention the guy has to run an extremely long hose because he mounts the MBC way over near the battery. Try to keep hose length to a minimum. He should have mounted the MBC on the driver's side radiator support bracket.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 18, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much Sparky. I will install my MBC between the charger and the WGA then. Bride both solenoid nipples with a silicone hose and cap the MAF pipe nipple mounting it in the driver's side radiator support bracket.

Once done that. How much boost should I set it up for with the mods I have? (3 inch cat back, HKS muffler, silicone intake pipe, air filter) I dont have a wideband gauge yet so I was planning to stay around the stock boost pressure (1.4/1.5bar) would this be fine? This way would I get less redline tapper?

In which gear(s) should I check I've got to my boost goal? 3rd and/or 4th? Off course I will start with the MBC turned all the way to the left. When the MSC is turned all the way left I will just get WGA spring pressure, right? And from there start turning the knob to the right.

Thank you very much.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

If your Evo has a 5-spd. tranny, then test peak boost in 4th or 5th gear. Ultimately, and eventually you should always check peak boost in top gear because in top gear is where there is more propensity for your turbo to manifest boost creep and boost taper issues.

I mean, what good is it to set peak boost in 3rd gear if the turbo only manifests creep in top gear. Eventually you need to verify stable boost in top gear. Otherwise you are just kidding yourself.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Outlaw666;11056505].....I will start with the MBC turned all the way to the left. When the MSC is turned all the way left I will just get WGA spring pressure, right? And from there start turning the knob to the right. [/QUOTEl

yes. Once you install your MBC and rotate the adjustment knob all the way out to the left and do a WOT in 4th gear you will get a boost gauge reading of the actual WG spring pressure.

What I am calling "actual" spring pressure is base spring pressure plus additional preloaded pressure. This will probably be somewhere between 12-14 PSI.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:40 AM

It's a 5 speed evo. I'll do a WGA spring pressure test after installing the MBC and see how much boost do I get. Hopefully it is around what you said.

Excuse me but english is not my native language. What do you exactly mean by boost creep? That in 5th gear it reaches lower peak boost? Then I'll set my boost driving it on 4th and 5th gear. If I dont set it up well on the highest gears what would happend to 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Would them load more?

How much boost do u recommend I should set it up for with the slight mods I have on it?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

As far as how much boost you should be able to run safely....if you are still on the factory tune, then it is best to not surpass the factory boost limit. Whether you are controlling boost via a MBC, or still using the factory ECU/BCS boost control system.

As far as I understand it you are still on the factory tune. That would be a limiting factor. If you try to raise boost much above the factory limit, then you will run into other problems such as fuel cut anyway.

Oh you might be able to safely raise boost via your MBC by one or two PSI while still on the factory tune. But, you are better off getting a tune over the internet from any one of the many tuners that do that sort of thing such as Mellon, TSComp, E.R., and etc.

You have to take into account your local climactic and atmospheric conditions such as high tropical ambient temps, elevation above sea level in the Andes, high humidity the octane and consistent quality of your local fuel etc. So, it is really risky to generalize about safe peak boost levels beyond the factory max given all the variables

Last edited by sparky; Dec 19, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:16 AM

Yes mate I'm on factory tune and you are completely right! I would like to eventually get a remote tune as you said once I get my wideband and Tatrix cable maybe also a fuel pump?. I believe is the most important investment.

I guess I'll set it up to 1.5bar on 4th and 5th gear and I'll be safe. Would the other gears automatically wont pass above this boost target? (1st, 2nd, 3rd) Will the MBC reduce some of my boost tapper?

Thank you very much!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yes if you set peak boost level in 4th or 5th gear, then you will be safe in the lower three forward gears(1, 2 &3). But, you can test this out for yourself by logging or doing WOT runs and cheking the boost gauge.

1st and second will never give as high a boost reading as 4th and 5th gears. A lot of people set boost levels in third but I prefer 4th and fifth myself on a long straight road with a very slight uphill grade.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Your questions so far, and my answers to them can best be classified as very basic and elementary general introductory boost control information. Really basic stuff.

I would like to move onto other topics which although directly related are somewhat more difficult to grasp but are essential to dominate if you wish to get your turbo to respond(spool) to its optimal capabilities.

This sounds stupid and I will provably regret this....HaHaHa...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:31 AM

Off course I'm interested in learning and doing things right. Now you've solved I believe all my questions and doubts about installing and setting up the MBC. I'll just check first how much boost I'm making in each gear at WOT and through all the rev range before installing the MBC and see how those compare. But I believe I've once saw about 1.7bar on 4th gear... :/

So how do I get a better turbo response?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:41 AM

Hi bro! Just came back to thank you for walking me throu the installation of my MBC. Just installed it yesterday and its working like a charm! I setting up for 1.5bar. Last nite I went a bit to far (1.7) So Im lowering it bit by bit til I get to 1.5. Just want to be on the safe side for the engine and reduce my tapper which I belive it has

Thank you very much!