Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 4g63 viscous crank damper

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
why won't anyone tell me the weight?
Top secret...

Stock- 3lbs 11.6oz

Fluidampr- 4lbs 14.3oz

ATi- 8lbs 6.0oz

To reiterate, this is not designed in any way to be a lightweight pulley. Anyone using a lightweight pulley undampened is looking for premature crank bearing failure.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
of course... just wanted to know
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the fluidampr is a hair heavier than stock.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by G-UNIT
the fluidampr is a hair heavier than stock.
Thanks for doing the math...

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Stock- 3lbs 11.6oz

Fluidampr- 4lbs 14.3oz

ATi- 8lbs 6.0oz
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Also remember that the ATI includes a replacement hub (and probably so does the quoted weight), while the Fluidampr and factory harmonic balancer both bolt onto the factory hub, so the ATI suffers by comparison because you're not comparing apples to apples, exactly.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=TTP Engineering] Each damper has advantages over the other and different fit characteristics. TTP is now selling Fluidampr units at $270 shipped if you mention this post.

TTP has become a Fluidampr convert. JK, Scott Both ATI and Fluidampr are good products. I doubt you could go too far wrong with either one. You could go very wrong, however, without one or the other.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Also remember that the ATI includes a replacement hub (and probably so does the quoted weight), while the Fluidampr and factory harmonic balancer both bolt onto the factory hub, so the ATI suffers by comparison because you're not comparing apples to apples, exactly.
I have experienced and used both. I am currently using Fluidampr as I had an issue with the ATi that required the timing belt to be removed and replaced once again. I don't want to have to do that again.

Regarding the HUB sprocket. The weight mentioned was WITHOUT the crank sprocket. Just the outside pulley weighs in at 8lbs + as measured by a digital scale.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have experienced and used both. I am currently using Fluidampr as I had an issue with the ATi that required the timing belt to be removed and replaced once again. I don't want to have to do that again.
The fact that you can install and remove the Fluidampr without initially removing and reinstalling the timing belt is a big plus for some people that has been previously mentioned. What problem did you have with the ATI?

Regarding the HUB sprocket. The weight mentioned was WITHOUT the crank sprocket. Just the outside pulley weighs in at 8lbs + as measured by a digital scale.
Serious? 3.5 pounds heavier than the Fluidampr? Ouch! Thanks for the clarification, though.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
The fact that you can install and remove the Fluidampr without initially removing and reinstalling the timing belt is a big plus for some people that has been previously mentioned. What problem did you have with the ATI?

Serious? 3.5 pounds heavier than the Fluidampr? Ouch! Thanks for the clarification, though.
The press on installation method of the ATi is still a far superior conduit to transfer harmonics to the damper (This information came straight from fluidampr) , however if something goes wrong it is not an easy task to replace it.

There are many modifications necessary to get the ATi to fit and function and I have grown tired the install process, even though the press fit is superior. It is not worth my time.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no ****?

Just about the most important aspect of an engine DAMPER is the fit to the crank. ATi units require a press fit so it is SUPER TIGHT and transfers all vibration to the damper. A fluid damper just bolts onto the same loose fit crank sprocket that basically falls off once the crank bolt is removed.

There is not a better DAMPER available than Ati, tis why Curt Brown used the ATi.