Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin Disc Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Twin Disc Question

How does the exedy feel like compared to the stock clutch
What does it slip like?
Also how long do they normally last with NORMAL driving
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have one yet but I drove a locals car with it, pedal feel is almost exactly like stock but the slippage is totally different. It grabs about 50-70% stiffer than stock, I actually thought it was annoying until I got in my car and had to constantly rev and slip it to get the car moving, I like how the exedy just grabs and goes personally. It chatters a little if you try to let it out off idle but then again the car also had stiff motor mounts all around and cams.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Ive had my exedy twin disk about 1,500 miles and havent launch the car, and dont plan on it...

Pedal is stiffer than stock but not unbearable..maybe if you had to deal with stop n go traffic everyday but other than that nothing to bad.

After first going to a stoplight i would get terrible vibrations and a chattering noise but after i put a stiffer front motor mount all noises are gone

Even after my cams and motor mount the car idles reasonably well with NO tune at all. Little bit of vibration thru steering well cuz of the stiffness of the mount.

I would like to launch the car a couple of times just to see but im not sure how i should launch it with this clutch

Overall, i think i made a good choice picking this clutch. I know it is overkill for the mods i have, but hey, i wont have to worry about it later on down the road...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

In my case, stop/go is a pain, compared with the stocker. The clutch likes to drag/stick during low-rpm shifting, and makes a lot of whining/moaning noises. However, when racing/shifting aggressively, it shifts like butter. I've had mine on for 10k
Old Oct 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

The twin disk didnt feel much different than the stock clutch. Its easy to drive around town.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just installed one of these in my car so I'll ramble on aimlessly for a bit...

I first went to an ACT/stock-type upgraded clutch (single sprung organic disc). It felt exactly like the stock clutch, except that it had a much stiffer pedal (~2900-3000 pound plate). Shift quality sucked equally, engagement was the same, easy to drive, engagement point at the same height, etc. It did of course hold a lot more power however. I've since upgraded to the Exedy twin HD. The regular twin has a pedal pressure that is close to stock. I believe the pressure plate pressures are within 100 pounds of each other in fact. That shouldn't be much stiffer than stock. The HD has a 2900 pound plate. Pedal pressure feels the same as my previous clutch. In either case, the window of engagement is MUCH more narrow. Combine that with it being extremely grabby for the first few days and it is nearly impossible to drive without looking like a tool. After about 3 days the clutch became much less grabby, though the window was still very narrow. The car is able to be driven smoothly now. It's also worth noting that while the pedal feels just as stiff, the movement is much smoother, so it doesn't "feel" as bad, if that makes any sense. The HD version would be quite the change for someone used to stock pedal pressure though.

Shift quality is so far improved it's impossible to even describe the change, so I won't bother.

I just put mine in, so I can't comment on longevity, but one of the reasons I decided to go with this particular twin disc is because friends with the SD version were getting 2 years of daily driving with constant racing out of them. Not sure on mileage, but I've seen 30-50k before people decide to rebuild it.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:48 AM

I've had mine for about 5k now and no problems. Grabs amazingly and I've done dozens of launches at the track with no problems. What is annoying is the usual rattle at idle. Engagement is low and takes getting used to and stiffness is noticable but bearable.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I actually like all the clutch and gear box noise. Reminds me that the clutch actually disengages now.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

So the only difference between the sd and hd is the pressure plate or is that the difference between the ceramic or carbon?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolution2003

How does the exedy feel like compared to the stock clutch
The pedal is firmer but feels great

What does it slip like?
It doesn't slip well...I get chatter if I try to slip it

Also how long do they normally last with NORMAL driving
Forever.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
So the only difference between the sd and hd is the pressure plate or is that the difference between the ceramic or carbon?
Pressure plate. Roughly 2200 vs. 2900 pounds. This information can easily be found online, probably right on the exedy website.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, I was confused because I only see two versions for sale on the ams site which is where my friend ordered his clutch and I like the softer pedal feel.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, did more searching...the hd has a 2900 lb pressure plate vs the sd's 2200ish as per a thread in the vendor's section, on the exedy site it doesn't list both versions. Can anyone tell me any other differences? Everyone is pushing the HD saying the sd is "out dated" is it only the pressure plate? The exedy I drove had almost stock like pedal pressure and thats what I'm looking for.

More searching got me this:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=22

Is that true? If so whats "out dated" besides the pressure plate? And why is everyone so quick to push the heavier pressure plate? Shifts a little quicker? Or holds more tq?

Last edited by 2StepsAhead; Oct 27, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
LOVE mine...easy to drive...easy to launch...has to be launched lighter than stock... first time i launched with my exedy ...spun tires...takes a little getting used to ...but one of hte greatest clutches out
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my Twin Disk HD for about 900 miles now. It definitely does not feel like a stock clutch, the clutch pedal feel is much stiffer. The plates rattle at idle and between shifts. Mine is a bit grabby and I'm still learning how to launch it without spinning the tires out of the hole. I would prefer something more mild for our heavy L.A bumper to bumper traffic, it's a race clutch. The shifts on the other hand are awesome, I have no more high RPM lockout what so ever.

Quick Reply: Exedy Twin Disc Question