Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch problem...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy clutch problem...

so i just installed my exedy stage 1 clutch and exedy lightweight flywheel, the installation was easier than expected, but now as i take off from a stop the car shakes alot as i release the clutch pedal.... also as i let off the gas like going down a hill or something an awfull rattling or clinging sound comes from the front end.... anybody know what this is or has anybody had this problem???
Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

any help???
Old Nov 4, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Check to make sure the motor mount bolts are tighten.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

all mount bolts are tight.....
Old Nov 4, 2006, 05:50 PM
Account Disabled

I had that problem. Make sure that the motor mount behind the engine, in front of firewall, is tight. Its the hardest one to tighten and if you took off the mounting bracket for the mount, its harder to tighten. The one under the battery tray is easy to check, and so is the one underneath the car, along the cross member. Make sure that you tighened down the cross member thing properly(I forget if that was what it was called). It has crossbars attatched where the downpipe is. If all your motor mounts are tight and the parts that attatched to the mounts are tight, then you have problems.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

So when you're going down hill and it makes those noise, are you still in gear with gas pedal depress or in neutral? I've done a clutch install in my car too and never have those issues but mine does chatter quite a bit though.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

if i decel with the car in gear and foot off the gas pedal it makes the rattling sound.... and it also shakes as i release the clutch below 2500 rpm or so unill its all the way out...
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:58 PM

i am having the same problem with the shaking. i can go from a stop fine, but there are times where the motor shakes, and it feels like something is going to break. i just installed a Action stage 2 clutch! feels and runs good, but I HATE taking off.

hope you fix this, i will also check my mounts.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

How serious is the rattling? A lightened flywheel will cause a little bit of sound when you are decel'ing and when you're in gear. If its noticable but not THAT loud then its normal for any aftermarket flywheel, but if it's sounding really troubling, then you have a problem.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

at times is sounds verry troubling.... but it seems like like the gears inside, but everything was fine b4 the install and i didnt mess with anything inside....
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've a dozen or so clutch installs of various makes of clutches and flywheels. Typically nearly ever install that included a lightened flywheel the owner has complained of similar problems that you are having. The chatter you are having is common with lightened flywheels and heavier clutches.

The Stage 1 Exedy though is not that heavy of a clutch, however, there really is no slipping a good aftermarkert clutch similar to the factory one. Its like a light switch, its either engaged or not, nothing in between.

If you have checked all your motor mounts and are sure you installed the clutch disc in the correct direction as labeled on the clutch and you have tigthened the flywheel and clutch bolts to spec then you are most likely just experiencing what I explained above.

Although, I obviously can't say for sure you don't have a problem as I can't see it or hear it
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

His symptoms are when the car is in gear.
Isn't most chatter in neutral or when the clutch has pulled away from the flywheel?
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chatter I am describing occurrs due to the attempting to slip the clutch like a OEM clutch, which has much higher tolerances to allow for a wide range of drivers as everyone operates the clutch differently.

The chatter typically occurs due to the clutch attempting to essentially grab the flywheel to engage the transmission in essence. Since the clutch is an aftermarket clutch with different material there is a much lower tolerance for allowing the clutch to slip, hence the reason an aftermarket clutch will typically take much more abuse.

I would suggest that you attempt modulating the throttle as you initially engage the clutch. Typically this is a much easier way to engage a heavier clutch for everyday use. Once you have found that sweet spot to engage the clutch it will be much more enjoyable, although daily driving an Evo with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel will never be enjoyable or bearable
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by idriveaevo
so i just installed my exedy stage 1 clutch and exedy lightweight flywheel, the installation was easier than expected, but now as i take off from a stop the car shakes alot as i release the clutch pedal.... also as i let off the gas like going down a hill or something an awfull rattling or clinging sound comes from the front end.... anybody know what this is or has anybody had this problem???

in my experience exedy clutches are really ****in loud...... i had the exedy 4 puck cermetallic and it was 10x louder than the act i have now...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

it doesnt chatter when i take off... it shakes, and the disc itself is a stock disc. it only makes the chatter on decel in gear....

Quick Reply: clutch problem...