Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cosworth IX Camshaft Test Results

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxxamillion
Tonight we finally finished our testing with the Cosworth Evo IX Camshafts. We were very happy with the results. All testing was performed on our Mustang AWD Dyno. These are true wheel horsepower and torque numbers. A dyno graph comparison is attached to the thread.

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR

2.4L 4G64 Built Short Block
GT35R Turbo
Blitz Induction Cover
Test Pipe
Greddy Titanium Exhaust
Greddy 24V Intercooler
Cosworth 272 11.0mm Camshafts
Works Valve Springs
Works Titanium Retainers
Carbonetic Twin Carbon 1,350KG Clutch
Walbro Fuel Pump

Thanks for the test
780cc Fuel Injectors

Stock Air Box
Stock Upper Inter Cooler Pipe
Stock Blow-off Valve

Motec M800

27PSI~26PSI
Sunoco GT Plus Unleaded 109

46.7WHP Peak Gain
15.1WTQ Peak Gain

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR

Blitz Induction Cover
JIC Bullet Downpipe
JIC Spartan Type 2 Ti Exhaust
Cosworth 272 11.0mm Camshafts
Works Valve Springs
Works Titanium Retainers

Everything else stock, including drivetrain.

21PSI~16PSI
91 Octane Pump Gas

22.4WHP Peak Gain
9.6WTQ Peak Gain
Thanks for the test. Looking foward to see more of this

Last edited by thector1; Nov 7, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job, MAxx, that is a much more useful dynograph. What I see are:

- Very little gain in peak torque
- No LOSS in spool
- No mid-range difference
- Great top-end gains in tq/hp
- Gains are not through the entire powerband unfortunately
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
Relevance to this particular thread? Zero

Warrtalon always ready to take a shot at Works. Just let em test, dont worry about whos runnin what parts. A turboback is a turboback right? No need for the drama, and it just makes you look bad.
The only post in this thread not relevant to the topic is yours. I did not "take a shot" at Works. I was responding to his comment, and I find it very interesting that you would go so far as to take a single line OUT OF CONTEXT as if it was my whole post. No, it was one point out of 4 or 5 in that same post.

If I was just looking for opportunities to takes shots at Works, I would have done so in this thread:

Interesting info on Works tuned Evo...maybe the truth?

But look, my response was on behalf of Works and giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than immediately blaming them for shoddy $600 mail-in flashes.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:30 AM

For those of us who plan to keep the stock turbo...Has any other brand/combination of cams on a IX shown a more useful overall gain ( ie. more area under the curve ) than the Cosworth cams? I drove an untuned stock turbo Evo IX with Cosworth cams, downpipe, test pipe, and HKS cat back and it felt strong from the seat of the pants.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Someone actually put in Cosworth cams but isn't tuned? Strange.

Check out the GSC 272s and 280s - they are showing good gains, but we do need more data.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:33 PM

Warrtalon...The car was untuned when I drove it. The owner had a tune scheduled for a later date. I owe him a follow-up pm to see how it worked out. My IX posted 306whp/306tq on the Tuning Technologies Dynojet with a Shiv tune on 91 octane and a tbe. I've only run HPDE's...11 this year. It seems that with the Cosworth cams I could improve my times....no loss of spool up or torque...but significant topend gains...hmmmm...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

hmm...but we were talking about their bolt on part, NOT their tuning...

thank you guys for staying ON topic
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Ranmobu, there is more to be gained on the road course from other mods than just some top-end. You want mid-range more than top-end when road racing. You should probably add an MBC and run some more boost on higher octane, but leave the tune where it is so that it's fairly conservative. The cams may also be a good addition, but I wouldn't consider them your next step.

EvilEvo, yes, I know parts!=tuning, but I was defending myself with an applicable example. The parts work fine, but they do not provide any gains over less expensive parts, that's all. It doesn't matter anyway.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Warr I know, I was just saying not, meaning to direct it toward you.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ranmobu, there is more to be gained on the road course from other mods than just some top-end. You want mid-range more than top-end when road racing. You should probably add an MBC and run some more boost on higher octane, but leave the tune where it is so that it's fairly conservative. The cams may also be a good addition, but I wouldn't consider them your next step.
You keep saying this, but it really doesn't apply in this situation. Sacrificing low or mid-range power for top end is not great for the road course, but if you can gain top-end power without sacrificing low or mid-range power then there is no downside. These cams seem to be a great addition to a car that spends time on a road course.

-Paul
Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, there's no sacrifice in low-end or mid-range, but there is no gain either. I was just saying there are other mods he can do right now that will give power gains through the whole powerband for less money and less installation effort, not that getting the cams wouldn't be a good thing. Usually, cams provide solid gains through the entire powerband, so these results are slightly disappointing.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

22.4WHP Peak Gain
9.6WTQ Peak Gain

Thats untuned by the way. He has no flash what so ever on that car. 22 horsepower without any tuning for the mods he has, NOR the cams is pretty good. Ive heard way too many stories about the lobes on GSC cams shearing off, that I would rather go with a quality (read:name brand(OMG NAME BRANDS COST TOO MUCH! - Warr)) billet product myself.

Also, just to throw this in to the pot. At SEMA, Greddy had evo mivec cams on display. They may be on the way as well. HKS had theirs too, but ya we've given up on those.

OFF TOPIC!:
Warr just to clear the air, the reason I didnt buy a buscher exhaust was because I didnt like the sound (too loud, helix and megan same thing), nor the way it looked on an evo9 JDM bumper. I dont have anything against buscher, I plan on getting ported coated exhaust mani from him. It just bugs me when out of the blue you take shots at people, even if they are slight. Its not necessary. People dont always want your package, and some people do. I know you make money off the packages you sell, and I dont have a problem with that. But no need to make people feel like crap because they didnt line your wallet. Seriously dude.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These cams with the valve springs and Ti retainers could provide me with more revs - Having the IX's 4th gear can be a real drag on road courses. In addition - The pesty WR turbo w/cams (Evo VIII) pulls on me in the long straights This could benefit me a bit??

We simply need more results
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Is the 2nd, most recently added, lesser modified car flash tuned?

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
22.4WHP Peak Gain
9.6WTQ Peak Gain

Thats untuned by the way. He has no flash what so ever on that car. 22 horsepower without any tuning for the mods he has, NOR the cams is pretty good. Ive heard way too many stories about the lobes on GSC cams shearing off, that I would rather go with a quality (read:name brand(OMG NAME BRANDS COST TOO MUCH! - Warr)) billet product myself.

Also, just to throw this in to the pot. At SEMA, Greddy had evo mivec cams on display. They may be on the way as well. HKS had theirs too, but ya we've given up on those.

OFF TOPIC!:
Warr just to clear the air, the reason I didnt buy a buscher exhaust was because I didnt like the sound (too loud, helix and megan same thing), nor the way it looked on an evo9 JDM bumper. I dont have anything against buscher, I plan on getting ported coated exhaust mani from him. It just bugs me when out of the blue you take shots at people, even if they are slight. Its not necessary. People dont always want your package, and some people do. I know you make money off the packages you sell, and I dont have a problem with that. But no need to make people feel like crap because they didnt line your wallet. Seriously dude.
After reading 2 back-to-back posts by you, i have came to the conclusion that you are completely delusional...

Last edited by KOEvo; Nov 7, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what was involved in putting the mivec head and the 2.4 block together?

Quick Reply: Cosworth IX Camshaft Test Results