Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Type s BOV problems, any help?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2003, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i mentioned the type r, because i know that it's for higher boost levels, thinking it would be stiffer for us, but forgot how high of boost levels it was for. I couldn't fix the problem on my type s, no matter how i adjusted it. I got it both too loose and too tight, and still wouldn't help. Is it something do with the diaphram in the BOV leaking under light load? I remember the greddy BOV on my accord (vented to atmosphere, no MAF to worry about on a honda), seemed to stay open. You could rev it in neutral, and actively hear the whistle of air still coming from the BOV as if the diaphram wasn't shut all the way, idle would drop, etc.....
but on the accord, when i finally adjusted the BOV for the proper boost level (or so it seemed, with the least amount of surge possible), i would notice that even at idle the diaphram would stay open and seem to leak. It would seem as if that's the same as what is happening here, where the pressure leaks, thus dropping the amount of air going into the motor, and the idle dropping.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Possible, i am not sure. I do notice i hear it bleed off under vacuum sometimes..

Well, i am pretty dissapointed.. Guess it is time to call greddy and ***** at them...
Old May 16, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

actually thinking about it.. I only have the top side connected on the BOV.

There are 2 nipples on the TYPE-S..

I bet if i connected the one on the body to the WG line it would actuate the BOV faster and fix the low boost situation.. I will be testing this tonight..

-Zach
Old May 16, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

The reason it is happening is because of the A/F Ratios. The adjustment is made for more air, but is being blown off, so the car runs extremely rich for a quick second, and then recovers.

I have the Type-R on mine, very tight, blowing to the atmosphere and it has no hesitation or stumble unless I am at full boost and push in the clutch.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AustinEvo8
The reason it is happening is because of the A/F Ratios. The adjustment is made for more air, but is being blown off, so the car runs extremely rich for a quick second, and then recovers.

I have the Type-R on mine, very tight, blowing to the atmosphere and it has no hesitation or stumble unless I am at full boost and push in the clutch.

No.. i already explained above i am running it recirculated..

And why are you running a TYPE-R???? the TYPE-S is good for 30PSI!!!!

-Zach
Old May 16, 2003, 11:32 AM

We have been manufacturing valves for the Evo lineup for years. Both recirculating Diverter valves (stock) and BOV's supplied with a blanking plug. We have concentrated more on the VW/Audi side of the company here in the states BUT we are moving strongly into the subaru and mitsubishi markets with the introduction of US spec wrx's and evolutions. We also offer a lifetime warranty and the valves are available in either black anodised or polished. You will be seeing alot more of us and our developments over the next few months.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

He said he had it setup so that it's recirculating, not VTA, so unless he has something wrong, the A/F ratio should be normal. However, the symptoms do seem to go along with similar problems with people using VTA.

This is an interesting issue. There are people experiencing problems using both types of BOV, and there are quite a few people here who have had no problems using VTA either. Hmmm...
Old May 16, 2003, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Liandrin11
He said he had it setup so that it's recirculating, not VTA, so unless he has something wrong, the A/F ratio should be normal. However, the symptoms do seem to go along with similar problems with people using VTA.

This is an interesting issue. There are people experiencing problems using both types of BOV, and there are quite a few people here who have had no problems using VTA either. Hmmm...

The only problem i have is at low boost or part throttle before boost builds is that it does not open and it doesn't want to idle..

I believe this is because the spring is to tight for that low of pressure..

That is why i am going to hookup the lower nipple on the type-s.. i think it goes to the WG line.. (need to check for sure)

That should hopfully fix the problem.. I will try it tonight and post back.

At full boost or enought to blow off correctly it works perfectly fine.

-Zach
Old May 16, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zyounker

Ok, the reason i put a BOV on my EVO is because the POS stock plastic one leaks. Bucher picked up 4rwhp & 7ft/lbs torque changing it..

Is there any EVIDENCE that the stock one leaks ?? Mine never leaked - even at 21 psi

RMR is telling me that they use that stock bov on full bore rally cars
Old May 16, 2003, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

actually thinking about it.. I only have the top side connected on the BOV.

There are 2 nipples on the TYPE-S..

I bet if i connected the one on the body to the WG line it would actuate the BOV faster and fix the low boost situation.. I will be testing this tonight..

-Zach
Great idea !!!!! super idea in fact ! Please let us know !
Old May 16, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

The only problem i have is at low boost or part throttle before boost builds is that it does not open and it doesn't want to idle..

I believe this is because the spring is to tight for that low of pressure..

That is why i am going to hookup the lower nipple on the type-s.. i think it goes to the WG line.. (need to check for sure)

That should hopfully fix the problem.. I will try it tonight and post back.

At full boost or enought to blow off correctly it works perfectly fine.

-Zach
Can't wat to hear !
Old May 16, 2003, 10:28 PM

can't adjust mine, got it from pruven. It turns off everytime i'm turning. Plus, I can't stop the fluttering.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evilgixxer
can't adjust mine, got it from pruven. It turns off everytime i'm turning. Plus, I can't stop the fluttering.
can't adjust it ??? - It has an adjusting screw right on top !

Mine shuts off when i turn and and slowing to a stop sometimes also

Hopefully adding the second line to the other hole will help - - I am anxious to hear back from the guy who is testing it
Old May 17, 2003, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Mine leaked at 16 psi put it on a flow bench and tested it. So I am now runing the Blitz. I do notice some stumbles now and then but that is only when I am in traffic and it has never died. Oh and on a different not I did gain a ten and 2 mph by changing out my BOV in the quarter.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, it seems to have fixed the problem!!!!!

So don't throw them away yet

I hooked the smaller lower nipple from the body to the WG line and the other to the stock connector..

This changes the sound quite abit and makes the accuation of the bov much faster..

As for the evidence that it leaks, that was according to bucher on the dyno.. they picked up 4whp & 7ft/lbs torque changing it..

I think that was at 19 psi

And i also noticed a difference..

-Zach

Quick Reply: Greddy Type s BOV problems, any help?