Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Type s BOV problems, any help?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Greddy Type s BOV problems, any help?

First off i want to say hello to everyone here. I just picked up my evo on sunday, a few days ago. now, i am pretty smart with cars, as i have an H22a swapped accord, and have turboed it in the past. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but obviouslly no professional.
I tried to put a greddy type s BOV on the car yesterday, and put it in as a replacement for the stock unit, so that it's recirculating the air. THe spring was initially set very loose, and the car lagged, and didn't spool well, so i tightend it a lot more. The car responded much better, but i still had one problem. When driving the car, in a low gear, if i threw it in neutral, the rpm's would drop and the car would almost die. however i had the spring set pretty tight with only a few threads left on the screw visable.
I brought the car home, and put the stock BOV back on.
Has anyone had any similar problems, or does anyone have a remedy for this? Is it because the BOV is still leaking? I have not had good experience with the greddy type s, both on my accord when it was turboed, and now with the evo. oh, and all the clamps, and fittings were all tight with the greddy BOV on.

sorry for the read, but i just wanted to put in a good description.

any help, please email nosaccordh22@aol.com, or post here.
Old May 15, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem on mine.. it seems at low boost it doesn't want to open and causes the compressor to backspin..

I need to try adjusting mine a little more..

With the stock one, i heard it doing this sometimes too, but never had an idle problem like with the type-s.

-Zach
Old May 15, 2003, 04:11 PM

I have the same problem too that why I put the stock one back on.
Old May 15, 2003, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

my friend with a WRX is haveing the same problem..

is they type-s just ****?
Old May 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car doesn't work very well with a BOV and no AFR. If you have the AFR it would not do that. The factory BOV is very good, it doesn't need to be replaced. In fact, most WRC cars that Ralliart/HKS UK build all use the factory BOV. But if you really want to change it use a HKS Super Sequential, Greddy sucks.
Old May 15, 2003, 05:03 PM

lol

I don't know why greddy BOVs do this on such a wide scale, and wide variety of cars, it seems that the evo is no excption unfortunately. In defense of Aftermarket BOvs, i've heard quit a bit about the HKS, and Blitz ones, but they seem harder to install, and more epensive than Greddy's.

out of curiousity has any one tried a Greddy Type R BOV?
Old May 15, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

The only reason I would see any way to replace the stock recirc. valve is if it isnt holding boost.

A BFV is just an expensive noisemaker if your car is stock, dont waste your money.
Old May 15, 2003, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem with the Greddy

I am going to try the Forge and see if that one works better

If not is back to the crapola stock plastic junk one - I don't care if they use it on WRC's - I just hate that cheap looking hunk of crap plastic one !
Old May 16, 2003, 12:17 AM
In Timeout

wait a month or 2 hks is coming out with parts for our car
Old May 16, 2003, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
wait a month or 2 hks is coming out with parts for our car
#1 - HKS can take YEARS to come out with parts - they are slower than a retarded snail at releasing new parts

#2 - their BOV sucks the big one - I hated it on my WRX and switched over to the Tial which was vastly superior
Old May 16, 2003, 12:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Buschur likes the 1g dsm dump valve. They just had an article on BOV's in SCC, and the 1st gen DSM bled of boost smoothly, whereas most other BOV's were a little spikey.
Old May 16, 2003, 04:28 AM

Wow, this thread has transformed into a nice tech article. Lots of nice points being made.

I too can relate to the fact of BOVs being spikey with their bleed off, and surging. My turbo accord was really touchy with the greddy on there, i hated it but had no money to put into a different one. no amount of tuning the stupid thing would work, same with the evo. I didn't realize that other BOVs were similar in many aspects though. I think after driving my evo, and testing the aftermarket for a nice BOV, that even though the stock 1g, or evo BOV don't make a nice loud noise, they are very functional, so why change a good thing.

let's keep the discussions going, i know there is a lot of BOV talk on these boads lately...........
Old May 16, 2003, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, the reason i put a BOV on my EVO is because the POS stock plastic one leaks. Bucher picked up 4rwhp & 7ft/lbs torque changing it..

The reason i used a Greddy Type-S is because i had it sitting around and it is easy to recirculate. (WHICH I AM DOING)

Now, is there anyone that actually knows why this is happening? I don't see why AFRs would have anything to do with it. it is acting like the stock BOV just not leaking.. It just seems not to open correctly..

Maybe i should contact HKS about warrenty?
Old May 16, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
#1 - HKS can take YEARS to come out with parts - they are slower than a retarded snail at releasing new parts

#2 - their BOV sucks the big one - I hated it on my WRX and switched over to the Tial which was vastly superior
LOL @ #1 on the list.

And this thread's timing couldn't be better, I was like 30econds from buying a Greddy Type-S. Good food for thought
Old May 16, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, and for the person who mentioned the TYPE-R... um, that is for VERY high boost with alot of CFM.. we have one on our 20B twinturbo drag car..

And it has not seen full boost yet.

As for my TYPE-S.. i will play with it some tonight, and see if i can fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Greddy Type s BOV problems, any help?