Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock intercooler sufficient for 50 trim kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol! i like the way u used the word cute to describe the stock FMIC!! I like mine to be Fierce and Nasty mean!!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
If you upgrading for purely a cosmetic upgrade, then I guess the purchase can be justified...personally I think the stock fmic is cute! To each their own...rather spend the money on Cams, Meth kit, race gas, suspension, head work, clutch, etc.
Do you have any data to back up your claims that the stock turbo doesnt need an a better FMIC or are you just going to keep running your mouth on this topic. The stock turbo blows hot air even at 22psi and an intercooler that cools better will produce more power. Period. Unless you can prove otherwise, shut up already.

I think your in denial if anyone here is. I dont see too many of the stock turbo EVOs deep in the 11s with stock FMIC. How bout Curt Brown or TTP? I think if any turbo needs a FMIC its the stock one. The 50trim blows cooler air at 22psi and the flow of the stock intercooler is not a restriction just yet. 50 trim at high boost may be another story.

Rather spend the money on headwork? Yeah there is a couple thousand dollars for some mild gains, even Buschur said that. Cams should be put in the car before a FMIC as should a clutch. Your putting the stock FMIC on some sort of pedestal that it shouldnt be on. I dont see too many drag race shops using thin tube and fin intercoolers on their cars do you?

I guess to you its a huge conspiracy that all the vendors are trying to make people buy intercoolers when we really dont need them.

Find one person on these boards with a stock FMIC/turbo who can come pull me on pump gas. I bet youll be hard pressed to find one.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 50-Trims are putting down prodigious pump gas numbers on the dyno using the stock intercooler @ 23 psi. However, at 23 psi, I´ll bet that a 50-trim hasn´t yet entered into the compressor map´s efficiency range.

The 50-trims really start shine above 28psi.So, how does the 50 trim do at 28 psi and above on pump gas through the stock intercooler? Or does the stock intercooler become a liability at boost levels above 24 psi that are well within the 50-trim´s efficiency range?

Last edited by sparky; Nov 18, 2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
The 50-Trims are putting down prodigious pump gas numbers on the dyno using the stock intercooler @ 23 psi. However, at 23 psi, I´ll bet that a 50-trim hasn´t yet entered into the compressor map´s efficiency range.

The 50-trims really start shine above 28psi.So, how does the 50 trim do at 28 psi and above on pump gas through the stock intercooler? Or does the stock intercooler become a liability at boost levels above 24 psi that are well within the 50-trim´s efficiency range?
Can you post some links of guys with 50trims with the stock intercooler? I tried searching but couldnt find any.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can download a compressor map calculator here.

I have added our compressor map to the mix, but the original author has the T04E 50 trim map right on the first page.

28 psi is getting out of the efficiency range for the 50 Trim at higher RPM's, like 7500 depending on the VE, and on the same point I doubt that you will be able to hold 28 psi to redline. The 50 trim does have a great compressor map for our engines though. This calculator definitely demonstrates why the 50 Trim performs as well as it does, especially on pump gas.

Eric
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the compressor map link. It´s not really my intention to argue the attributes of the 50 on pump. I acknowledge fully its advantages as a pump gas turbo.

I just think that if it lays down such impressive dyno numbers on pump gas through a stock intercooler ...then it would be yet more impressive on pump gas though a more efficient upgraded front mount.

Of course, I am assuming that the cars listed in this thread putting out well over 400 WHP on 93 octane and equipped witha 50-Trim are using a stock intercooler. Their pump gas numbers could only go up if they were tuned on pump gas with something like the Buschur Racing Race FMIC unit or its equivalent.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Of course, I am assuming that the cars listed in this thread putting out well over 400 WHP on 93 octane and equipped witha 50-Trim are using a stock intercooler. Their pump gas numbers could only go up if they were tuned on pump gas with something like the Buschur Racing Race FMIC unit or its equivalent.
Thats the problem. No one is using a 50trim with the stock FMIC. However if they did, Im sure like you said they would definitely see gains.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upgrade the intercooler; if you're spending 3-4grand on a turbokit whats another 5-600 on an intercooler upgrade.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Do you have any data to back up your claims that the stock turbo doesnt need an a better FMIC or are you just going to keep running your mouth on this topic...... Unless you can prove otherwise, shut up already.

Find one person on these boards with a stock FMIC/turbo who can come pull me on pump gas. I bet youll be hard pressed to find one.
Knock it off you Punk, Stop playing internet tough Guy...... This forum isn't for the Mentally challenged so stop being a retard.

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I dont see too many of the stock turbo EVOs deep in the 11s with stock FMIC........I think if any turbo needs a FMIC its the stock one. The 50trim blows cooler air at 22psi and the flow of the stock intercooler is not a restriction just yet. 50 trim at high boost may be another story.
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
What you guys are not putting into the equation is the stock turbo at 29psi blows well over 400 degree air out of the turbo. A 50trim at 25psi blows about 325 degree air.
This sounds better, this is a great point and I thank you for bringing it up.

This is my take on it.

with Spool, Lag, and all BS aside and only talking about Heat Soaking on an upgraded Turbo, Depending on the deisgn would yield better results than others.

To me Each intercooler is Designed with a Turbo and power level in mind. Hence your Street and Race cores. There is such thing as Too much/too big, Its matching the proper parts to your setup. I always ask Distributers what turbo was used when results were achieved. Just a thought

Last edited by Spooldyou; Nov 18, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Stock Fmic should be fine if your not going over 400whp......
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spooldyou
Knock it off you Punk, Stop playing internet tough Guy...... This forum isn't for the Mentally challenged so stop being a retard.

Yea I'm a real punk, calling someone out who is running their mouth without anything to back it up what theyre saying.

The post you just made was you criticizing what I said to someone else. Thats off topic. I said show me data to support your claims with a little flare to it. If you dont like what I said feel free to give me some suggestions via PM.