Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual Boost Controller vs. Electronic Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead-Man Inc
i have the Hallman RX MBC, i dont need to open hoods ;p ...
and loving it
The concept of having the adjustability in cabin boost from a MBC si nice, but how often do you adjust the boost. The only time mine gets adjusted is when C16 goes in...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
Good info.
^^^
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

I have a question about a Manual Boost Controller. How do you go about setting it up at first? It seems like if you want to have a set boost level and install it right outta the box that is an issue. Or maybe I'm just not understanding the installation process. But I could see wherw with an electronic device you just set said boost number and it does the initial configuration?

Q/ST
Old Feb 24, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBC are cheap and work just as good as EBC's but EBC's look better and come with more controls
Old Feb 24, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mongo
In need of some help in this area guys. I'm sure this was covered in a different thread i can't seem to find it, this damn internet is so slow over here (iraq). I'm new to the tuning enviroment and need of some guidance. Need to know what is better to use in an 03 evo 8. an MBC or an EBC. id like to have it set up to have two different settings, one for normal day driving to save gas, then one for the weekend fun. will i need to get a flash done too? will that help or is it needed? im in the process of upgrading the norms, intercooler, pipes, exhaust, intake etc.. etc. but back to the question. which is the better bet to use. i don't know that much about BC so if i could get some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.
You may be in the same boat as me - I'm new to tuning and have all the "basic" upgrades on my Evo VIII. I'm tuning myself with ecuflash and evoscan.

In terms of what is "best", an EBC is better than an MBC in the sense that it works better and has more features. With EBC's you can eliminate the boost taper, have gear dependent boost, have scramble boost, etc etc. With a MBC, you just set your boost level. A mbc will also be susceptible to weather/altitude changes etc. That being said, a mbc is simpler (probably more reliable), cheaper, easier to install (I'm a mechanical idiot and did my own), easier to set up, easier to return to stock etc. For 95 percent of the users out there, a MBC is just great.

I tried to mess around with the stock ebc system for a while but couldn't get the boost as stable as I would have liked. Stock EBC would be ideal, but it takes a lot of time (esp. for a newb like me) which I dont really have. Much happier with MBC. I paid <$100 for my Hallman Pro Rx mbc, and it works great. Have you seen how much those ebc's are? Driver skill and your tune is going to be so so so much more important than the advantages of ebc over mbc on the street or track...

Yes, you will need a different tune for each boost level. Probably not worth the bother to swap maps just for weekend driving. You will save the most gas just staying off boost. I get 4-5mpg at the track, my wife gets 24-26 mpg on the highway - same evo, same mods, same tune etc. Your driving will affect economy far greater than anything else. If you want a fuel efficient tune, lean out your partial throttle settings etc, I think thats where the economy is. Whether or not you boost 20psi or 25 psi doesn't affect this area of your maps.

Just my opinion tho'. good luck!

Last edited by Evo442; Feb 24, 2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Street Tuners
I have a question about a Manual Boost Controller. How do you go about setting it up at first? It seems like if you want to have a set boost level and install it right outta the box that is an issue. Or maybe I'm just not understanding the installation process. But I could see wherw with an electronic device you just set said boost number and it does the initial configuration?

Q/ST
Its very easy. Once it is installed, you turn it to the lowest possible setting. At least on a Hallman MBC this will put you at wastegate boost level. (ie 11psi on a stock evo VIII). Slowly add boost with the mbc until you get to the level you want (of course you need to be able to monitor/log boost somehow) I wouldn't go above stock boost levels w/o wideband, evoscan or some other data logger etc.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:02 PM

hi i am from urugauy so i have the same problems as you to get the parts were you live. i had an evo i bought the hallamani that everybody loves and it is really a piece of crap besides de 100 us i paid for it. then a friend of mine from brazil insisted that i bought the turbonetics mbc and i did it was something like 38 dolars and works perfect. boost tapers a little at high rpm but that is more problem of the turbo being small . the car was an evo 5 rs. i now have an evo 9 stock and y will buy the hks type s ebc for 310 dolars. good luck on your setup
juan francisco