Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gearbox removal.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearbox removal.

I helped a couple friends replace a clutch on an 8 the other day. It was agreed the worst part of the removal was trying to get the release bearing to let go. Otherwise it wasn't as bad a job as I had envisioned. We removed the transfer case from the gearbox and were able to remove the (VERY HEAVY) gearbox with only a slight clearence issue.

Has anybody actually broken their GB because they didn't know about the release bearing?

I assume the reasoning behind its fastening is so it doesnt develop wear as fast on the collar?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

i haven't had my GB broken, but I saw the shop fight trying to get my tranny off because of the locking bearing. It was pure hell.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:15 PM

i couldnt get the throw out bearing to let go either so i went through the clutch fork hole and took the pressure plate bolts out of the flywheel and then slid the transmission off. i was a huge pain, but i didnt break anything
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redevo8u
i couldnt get the throw out bearing to let go either so i went through the clutch fork hole and took the pressure plate bolts out of the flywheel and then slid the transmission off. i was a huge pain, but i didnt break anything
that's exactly what we had to do. Couldn't get the TOB to release. It sucked ***.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Its fairly easy and simple if you know what your doing.....pull on the fork then stick a long flathead between the collar and the tob and seperate them by rotating the screwdriver

its a pita but it sure beats breaking things
Old Jan 1, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ries
Its fairly easy and simple if you know what your doing.....pull on the fork then stick a long flathead between the collar and the tob and seperate them by rotating the screwdriver

its a pita but it sure beats breaking things
Seriously...the TOB isn't all that bad. A little research prior to doing a job eliminates alot of silly BS.