Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock rubber intake hose Vs. Hard pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am liking the ARC box with the Samco induction pipe. tuning the car isnt that big of a deal to me tho. If it is for you stay with the stock box and rubber pieces. I dont like any of the open air elements with the stock maf's the only one i stomach is the Injen one because it comes with both upper and lower IC pipes and costs $375 bone. most IC kits cost more than that.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ghoonk
Has anyone here fabricated a custom hard pipe? What are the dimensions, and will I need anything else besides the pipe?
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=28626.0
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
I am liking the ARC box with the Samco induction pipe. tuning the car isnt that big of a deal to me tho. If it is for you stay with the stock box and rubber pieces. I dont like any of the open air elements with the stock maf's the only one i stomach is the Injen one because it comes with both upper and lower IC pipes and costs $375 bone. most IC kits cost more than that.

Although that is a good deal, Im not a big fan of the Injen intake because it heat soaks pretty bad and weighs a good deal. They should have made it out of aluminum instead of SS or whatever steel it is.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's the scoop on MAF pipes. Pay attention now...

The MAF pipes play havock on the MAF signals. Depending on which hard MAF pipe you get you will have a hell of a time tuning the car at different points.

We originally had a two bend maf pipe. It idled poorly. We did away with it when we figured out what it was doing and why it was. We went to a single bend MAF pipe and it works atleast as well as any other MAF pipe on the market and better than 90% of them.

Here is the catch. IF you plan to run a reflashed ECU and BIG cams keep your stock MAF pipe. I am talking about a cam similar to or larger than the HKS 280's cams. The overlap of the larger cams also cause MAF tuning problems and the best way to make them idle smoothly is to keep the stock rubber MAF pipe.

If you are running speed density and have eliminated the MAF sensor then we have a super nice 2 bend maf pipe with no BOV return in it. Once you go to speed density you can run anything to the filter.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Although that is a good deal, Im not a big fan of the Injen intake because it heat soaks pretty bad and weighs a good deal. They should have made it out of aluminum instead of SS or whatever steel it is.
its actually a cast aluminum piece. and aluminum piping. but i agree with you it will head soak and pulls air from inside the engine bay with out a box. whether or not pulling from the engine bay is bad is another story.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 8, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What about intake filters then? Doesn't the Buschur Filter simply bolt on 7WHP even without a tune and adds over 10WHP with one? What about the Apexi Intake filter which advertised to work specifically with MAF cars? A primary funnel on the top portion of the air cleaner was inserted to channel the air flow directly into the lower funnels at the base of the cleaner and reduces air turbulence .

Is that how the Buschur intake is designed?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the bushur hard pipe compatible with apexi intake and induction box?.. i wonder if you can use the AEM one and use apexi intake with induction box too so that makes it a legal mod cuz it has a C.A.R.B #.. california law...
Old Mar 9, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps if you look ito Forge Motorsport(UK), SAMCO(UK) which both offer nice molded silicone turbo inlet hoses that are Evo specific, or HKS which offers a metal inlet pipe which is similar looking to their RS inlet pipe but designed specifically for use with the stock air box.

Too bad you are so far away or you could have my HKS RS metal intake pipe for free, which I don't use anyway. Good Luck!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Perhaps if you look ito Forge Motorsport(UK), SAMCO(UK) which both offer nice molded silicone turbo inlet hoses that are Evo specific, or HKS which offers a metal inlet pipe which is similar looking to their RS inlet pipe but designed specifically for use with the stock air box.

Too bad you are so far away or you could have my HKS RS metal intake pipe for free, which I don't use anyway. Good Luck!
Could you sell me that pipe please? That is the exact pipe I am looking for. Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 08:41 AM

I'm running the AEM short ram, It's a hard pipe. I don't know if it made a difference because I slapped on to many mods to tell, but it sure sounds nice. No problems with idle, and I can now hear my turbo and stock blow-off
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ghoonk
The PITA is that buying a $50 pipe from Buschur will see shipping at another $50, which is downright ridiculous. That's why I was thinking of getting one custom fabricated. But not at the risk of another CEL. I finally got rid of that P0300 and I'm not about to start getting paranoid over another one
How did you get rid of P0300?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, the open filter we sell will gain about 6 whp just bolting it on.

The MAF pipe we have will not work with the factory airbox.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GregGSC
I am liking the ARC box with the Samco induction pipe. .
+1,000,000

I think this is the set-up I am going to go with myself.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

what about the CUSCO blue hard pipe? It just replaces the accordian tube and still uses the stock intake box and recirculates the BOV. Would using this with the stock airbox/filter require tuning or net any gains???