Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock airbox cover removal on a IX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice data.... I'm definitely going to have to get myself a 2nd cover and go for the side cutout. Best of both worlds.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone noticed a drop in peak boost when cutting the lid (top and side)? With the stock lid and my modified boost setup, I was hitting 24.5 psi (peak) in 3rd and 25.5 psi in 5th/6th gear...I just logged a few 3rd gear pulls yesterday and was only getting 23.5 psi peak. Thoughts (other than boost leak)?? Thanks

Edit: I did back to back tests today with the stock lid and JCS modified lid (top and side cut) and was hitting the same peak psi in both but held 1 psi more (up top) with the JCS mod'd setup...So unless summer heat proves to reverse the performance gain (via heat sink), I am sticking with the mod'd lid. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks .

Last edited by cij911; Feb 26, 2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update
Old May 1, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have a completely stock VIII MR with just a KNN Drop in an the box cover removed. And so far no idle problems, SES, CEL's nothing. Pulls a little bit harder in 1st 2nd and 3rd up top. Sounds good an seems to be working ok.
Old May 5, 2007, 06:44 AM

can somone post a short clip of the car with this mod... seems to be the better mod for sound from the turbo w/o changing bov and causing potential idle issues and what is the cost associated w/buying another a spair cover?
Old May 23, 2007, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
BTW, Aby (AOT) logged a gain of 3 psi or so with a cone filter as compared to the stock box. You can find his thread titled "OEM box is $hit"
Old May 23, 2007, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
How about the weather stripping? There was a guy who noticed a difference after cutting away the weather stripping from the hood the potentially blocks the air induction.

Maybe the reason the stock air box might not perform as well as some people want it to is because of that stripping alone?
Old May 23, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran without it and it was fine. But it is a COLD air box intake and it will suck in more hot engine air now. But youl hear the stock BOV now much more and a bit more spooling sound.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Blitz induction cover that replaces the stock airbox cover. When my buddy Alan tuned my car he said it made no visible difference to a/f on the logs. It sounds cool and it seems to spool a little earlier with the Blitz cover when I am in a higher gear (4th or 5th) at low rpms. Other than that, I have ran it at the track with the cover on an off and it seems to make no difference. But the turbo spool sounds really loud and it sounds like a have a weak *** blow off valve. I have driven in pretty hard rain and I didn't get any water on my filter.

Last edited by Evo IX MR; May 23, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
I have the Blitz induction cover that replaces the stock airbox cover. When my buddy Alan tuned my car he said it made no visible difference on the logs. It sounds cool and it seems to spool a little earlier with the Blitz cover when I am in a higher gear (4th or 5th) at low rpms. Other than that, I have ran it at the track with the cover on an off and it seems to make no difference. But the turbo spool sounds really loud and it sounds like a have a weak *** blow off valve. I have driven in pretty hard rain and I didn't get any water on my filter.
Did you remove the weather stripping from the hood that covers the air induction path?
Old May 23, 2007, 11:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Did you remove the weather stripping from the hood that covers the air induction path?
This doesn't block the path as the air comes in the grill right under the hood, not between the hood and that stripping.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I don't believe that there was any need to. I still have the little scoop/snorkel thing that directs air to the box. I don' t think there are any downfalls/problems to running it with the Blitz cover. I think the only differences are sound, maybe a slightly quick spool up way low in the rpms in high gears, and it feels like it pulls slightly quicker up top- but the track showed no difference in time, so it probably doesn't make it any faster.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
I don't believe that there was any need to. I still have the little scoop/snorkel thing that directs air to the box. I don' t think there are any downfalls/problems to running it with the Blitz cover. I think the only differences are sound, maybe a slightly quick spool up way low in the rpms in high gears, and it feels like it pulls slightly quicker up top- but the track showed no difference in time, so it probably doesn't make it any faster.
Yeah but if it causes quicker spool and slightly more spool up noise then it must be doing something good? If the mentioned does actually occur then it is relieving some sort of restriction. Like some mods maybe a power level is not noticed because it requires tuning for?

I could be wrong, but if a removal of something causes a quicker spool then that "thing" is probably a restriction. (even in the very slightest fashion)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

No posts in bit.Any newfound info? Just bought my drop-in and havnt installed it because I might mod the side of the box for relief
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

I run my IX with the airbox, but without the filter at the track and the track only.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Alot of good info on stock airbox pressure drops...I thought I was getting alot of pressure drop w/ the arc induction box at 3.5-4 kpa but seems to be quite good. Has anyone logged Barometer readings w/ no filter? Could there be a air restriction going through the MAF or intake tube just before the turbo?

Quick Reply: Stock airbox cover removal on a IX