Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wow Look what i found. HKS LA CLUTCH (single plate)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onyxeros
this is not so much directed at you as much as this forum as a whole

Can we please stop comparing what full out race cars with race teams and million dollars in factory support do to their cars to the average evo?

It's really annoying to see so many people want to justify what they do to their cars based off of cars that have a team of people working on them race after race

1000++

He is right.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

i'm sorry to compare to a multimillion dollar clutch. I could compare to an NSX which also has a twin disc clutch stock. Would that make you feel better?

If you want close to stock like pedal feel, the mm022sd is probably the best clutch to go with. I've also installed and used a few hyper singles from exedy and they were HORRIBLE. Exedy probably makes this clutch for HKS so I'd imagine it was just as bad. The twins are awesome though

-Steve
Old Jan 18, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
i'm sorry to compare to a multimillion dollar clutch. I could compare to an NSX which also has a twin disc clutch stock. Would that make you feel better?

If you want close to stock like pedal feel, the mm022sd is probably the best clutch to go with. I've also installed and used a few hyper singles from exedy and they were HORRIBLE. Exedy probably makes this clutch for HKS so I'd imagine it was just as bad. The twins are awesome though

-Steve

I'd have to disagree. The HKS clutch is nothing like the Exedy Hyper Single kits. If it came to driving them on the street with one or the other, I'd choose the Light Action kit from HKS hands down. The pedal pressure is much more like stock then the 022SD. HKS made this kit because in Japan it's one or the other... you either have a aggressive single or twin disc kit, or something liek the Exedy stage one replacement... this fits happily between them with the amount of power it holds, and drives like stock.

Jerry
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto

-Steve
What was wrong with the exedy hyper single??
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
This looks good on their site!

I dont care what you guys say, the X is bad ***!

/hijack
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Any vendors selling this clutch kit in the US?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 03:02 PM

i would never consider a single plate clutch for an evo...unless it were the stock unit. once the stock clutch is unable to hold the power...i'd immediately switch to at least a twin disk.

single disk clutch's are good for low power daily drivers...as stated...and i doubt the hks/exedy/act clutches are all that different from one another...considering the simplicity of the clutch itself.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

So how harsh would a non-HD exedy twin disk be on a MR with 350whp?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87
So how harsh would a non-HD exedy twin disk be on a MR with 350whp?
The HD twin disk has a pressure plate which has 2920 lbs of clamping force vs. the SD or Cusco Twin disc which is about 2300lbs of clamping force.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

So would the non-HD be smoother then since its no so heavy duty. I want the easiest most streetable clutch that can handle about 350-400whp. I dont drag much or hardly ever launch my car. Would this HKS clutch be sufficient or for the money just get a non-HD twin disk? Sorry for the OT
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

my car is 380 whp... what I should buy for my mind is confused.... HKS L.A is good for me .... ???? cause act heavy duty or street's pedal is very strong and hard to push...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87
So would the non-HD be smoother then since its no so heavy duty. I want the easiest most streetable clutch that can handle about 350-400whp. I dont drag much or hardly ever launch my car. Would this HKS clutch be sufficient or for the money just get a non-HD twin disk? Sorry for the OT
I'm somewhat in the same position, but I think a stock clutch will be fine, if it's not slipping now with your power levels. The OEM clutch was designed for the 6 speed transmission, notice that the 6 speed clutch is different than the 5 speed clutch in part # and the amount of springs in the hub?

There is no such thing as a street-able twin disk, you either get one or you don't. Mainly because on deacceleration. You'll get a lot of clutch chatter and if the clutch chatter from the OEM clutch annoys you now? then it's not going to get better with the twin. If you do really want a twin plate, then I would suggest the Cusco Twin Disc. The pressure plate is rated at 2300lbs of clamping force (100 more than stock, according to people here on EvoM) and has two cerametallic discs. The only issue with a twin is clutch chatter and might require more slipping into gear due to it's "grabby" nature.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cetinsaya
my car is 380 whp... what I should buy for my mind is confused.... HKS L.A is good for me .... ???? cause act heavy duty or street's pedal is very strong and hard to push...
What clutch do you have in there now? and what mods do you have done to your car?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yea the stock clutch chatter sometimes happens in 1st gear taking out slow. Somewhat bothers me but its not too bad. I was thinking the Exedy STG1 clutch?? I mean Exedy makes good stuff and its stronger than the stocker...I don't see why it wouldn't work for my driving style. I don't bang gears or launch much so I think a twindisk is too much for me. My car is 90% of the time daily driven. I don't like the ACT because I have heard too many hit and miss stories and high RPM problems. The ONLY problem I have heard about the Exedy is it doesn't hold enough power but I don't see anywhre where they claim too (On there website it's only rated to like 340tq)
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

hrm... we really need someone with this IN their car and give us a clear... i've been looking into this clutch and cant really find what i need...

a few of the hks demo cars run this clutch in their 6 speed... i dunno...

Quick Reply: Wow Look what i found. HKS LA CLUTCH (single plate)