Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loosing boost through DV(stocker and Forge)...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 03:56 PM
Fomer Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loosing boost through DV(stocker and Forge)...

CLIFF NOTES FOLLOW FULL STORY

This started happening about a two weeks ago, my car was only boosting around 5 lbs. It started happening when I did some changes. First, I installed the Buschur UICP, while doing that, I cleaned up some wiring/lines. By that I mean I rerouted the throttle cable and took out the rubber to hard line to rubber to hard line to rubber vacuum deal that ran the DV (this is important later).

First thing I thought after that was I messed up the UICP install at the connection to the IC. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was ok. I had a LICP ordered and when it came in I was going to "fix" the UICP. So I got the LICP and "fixed" the UICP. I did the leak test and only had a leak at the throttle body, did some research, found out it was the seals. Thought that was the problem, so I ordered the seals, put them in, leak tested at the throttle body, took boost and held boost, fixed. Leak tested at the turbo, only taking about 6-7 lbs and slowly dropping. Took it for a test drive, still only boosting 5 lbs.

During this I switched from the stock DV to the Forge DV. Leak tested before and after the switch and same issue with both.

So today, I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole IC system, still same issues. But today I figured that the leak was coming out of the DV. So I tried pluging the DV and it takes up to 10 lbs before the plug(I taped the end of a socket) leaks.

So now I'm trying to figure out why its coming out of the DV (stocker and Forge). And the only thing I can think is the stock vacuum system that runs the DV has something to do with it.

CLIFF NOTES:

Problem, only boosting 5 lbs. I installed a LICP, UICP and took out factory vacuum system(consisting of the hard and soft vacuum lines) that ran the DV and switched it to just one long rubber vacuum line. Switched stock DV with the Forge DV and having same problem with both. Leak tested numerous times, never hear a leak.

Finally found air coming from the Forge DV, plugged it, it took more pressure and only started to leak once the plug leaked.

And I can hear the leak when its trying to boost while driving.

One question is: Is there something in the stock vacuum lines that run the DV, that since I took out, will make the DV stay open?

Other than that, anybody have any ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
Fomer Vendor

1st page bump.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

have you reinstalled the factory dv and vaccum lines yet?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:25 AM
Fomer Vendor

Well it was doing it with both the stock dv and the Forge dv, so yes, the stock was in. And I haven't tried putting the stock lines back in, guess I should. It just seemed strange.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I think you have some lines messed up through your proccess of installation. I do not believe it is the diverter valve. Check your boost lines.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
Fomer Vendor

I don't think the line is in the wrong spot or other lines are not right, but I also don't think its the DV. What I was thinking was there is something in the stock lines, or the design of the soft to hard to...... has something to do with keeping it closed.

Since I took all that out and am now just have one long rubber vacuum line its messing it up. I'm going to try and put the stock line back in, I would have, but I had already closed my car up before I thought of it.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

The hard line to soft lines has nothing to do with the problem. It sounds like your reference port going to the side of the DV is not getting the signal to help keep the valve shut. The additional pressure on top of the DV helps keep the valve shut. That is part of the reason why it is not a good idea to use the DV or BOV line to hook up a "bleeding" style boost controller. When runnig full boost you are loosing part of the pressure signal that helps keep the DV shut.

Brian
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
Fomer Vendor

Well, I just finished swapping the one line, back to the stock system and it fixed it. So now I'm thinking why?

If anyone is familiar with the HKS ssqv, there is a diaphragm thing that if you leave off, the BOV will stay open a hair and it will leak. Thats what I thought was happening with my DV.

So, I look at the one long line, which is actually 2 lines connected with a....connector, and the connector has something in it, like a ball and spring.

So, moral of this story, check the connector before you use it, it may have something in it.

But thanks Turbodawg, your explanation helped me check that.