Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Lag Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I guess it is not really turbo lag but just poor throttle response and lack of torque off-boost. At least you added one more idea to my list, the light-weight flywheel. Thank you! Everybody else has mostly just been flaming me...

Last edited by EVOeight; Jun 9, 2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it's been a few days and I think we are all waiting for the trubo gasket pics?

EVOeight, No one could argue your point with your bad luck with synthetic but I think we can all agree that it depends on each individual case on what really blows a motor. I totally agree it is probably not a good thing in the 4G94 or at a thicker viscosity of synthetic.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

What bad luck with synthetic? What blown motor?
Yes, turbo gasket pics :-)
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by EVOeight
What bad luck with synthetic? What blown motor?
Yes, turbo gasket pics :-)
Cross posted, sorry. How the hell did I do that?
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:10 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

I was really just trying to get input on ways to reduce the turbo lag. I realize that some turbo cars are worse than our EVO's. I was hoping for more "tips and tricks" to reduce turbo lag than the one's I listed at the top...
Back on topic...thank you.

All this and not one mention of Diverter Valve (BOV) modifications. Very interesting. Might try checking out SilverSurfer's thread on Greddy Type-S modifications and drivability improvements:

BOV Testing
Old Jun 10, 2003, 05:30 AM

People saying that backpressure increases low end torque on a turbocharged car are full of ****. Come on people, I know this forum isnt very technical but stop spreading misinformation. EGBP on a turbo car hurts spool and hinders performance, don't let these fools tell you otherwise.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

JE custom manufactures their pistons. Depending on where you want to end up with your car you may want to raise compression. We installed a set of 9:1 pistons in a customer’s car and it helped.

Also be aware that the ECU is slowing the onset of boost by pulsing the boost control solenoid. If you want more boost sooner, there are ways to address this. An aftermarket ECU is the most obvious.

Restrictors are placed at the turbo inlet on rally cars to limit power. Size shaping and placement can affect spool characteristics in positive ways. This however will definitely limit top end power.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by zyounker
Um, Ok with exhaust it is kinda weird on a turbo car..

So it is a double edge sword.. Pick a exhaust that gives the top end power from the turbo.

Or pick a small exhaust and have the engine make the lowend power and strangle the top end power from the turbo.

Cant have both.. I just relearn how to drive and keep the revs in the power band if i want the power.

-Zach
I know I'm late on this and have posted elsewhere, but I have the new 2.75" gram lights exhaust and it does add low end power. Right off the bat I noticed that the power wasn't so soft down low. I got the dyno results later, no increase over 3500 (prob due to the stock ecu), but a fairly constant increase of up to 15 lbs of torque and 10hp increase over the 2500 - 3500 rpm range. This may be a good choice between the 2.5" and 3" systems.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a link to the 2.75" Grams light exhaust? Sounds very interesting.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Braf
JE custom manufactures their pistons. Depending on where you want to end up with your car you may want to raise compression. We installed a set of 9:1 pistons in a customer’s car and it helped.
I wouldn't suggest using JE pistons in any car that isn't going to be raced all the time. JEs expand way too much, so you have to give them a lot of room. Cold starts wear out the bores.

Also be aware that the ECU is slowing the onset of boost by pulsing the boost control solenoid. If you want more boost sooner, there are ways to address this. An aftermarket ECU is the most obvious.
Actually, the most obvious is an aftermarket boost controller. Boost controllers generally take the stock boost control solenoid out of the loop completely. Even a $50 Hallman will give you rock steady boost control.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Hey ozrallyguy, any word on the pictures?
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be sure to let EVERONE know when I finally post them ! Sorry i'm just hella busy all the damn time and my friend too so he hasnt had the chance to email them to me. I'm kinda mad at him. It only takes a minute to email pics
Old Jun 14, 2003, 02:01 AM

A centrifugal supercharger (Vortech, Powerdyne) would definately cure turbo lag. I don't know if there is room to bolt one up though. Remember you asked for idea's I don't know if it would fit but it is definately more responsive.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:08 AM

Re: Turbo Lag Reduction

The only real complaint I have about my new EVO VIII is the terrible turbo lag. Below 3000 RPM’s it is a complete turd. This car has the worst throttle response of any car I have ever owned. Anybody have any other ideas about turbo lag reduction?

I dont think evo is laggy at all, at least the way I drive it doesnt bother me.
But if its a problem and you got money to spend buy:
2.2 JUN stroker kit $5500. evonation.com has them
hks ball bearing turbo $3000 z1performance.com has those I think
full racing exhaust $3000
programable ecu $1500
etc etc, well you get my point
if you cant afford those parts, take driving lessons

Last edited by petem; Jun 14, 2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I can also get all of those also

Quick Reply: Turbo Lag Reduction