Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine building pressure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine building pressure

My engine is building pressure and pushing coolant over the surge tank while im driving. I checked the radiator, and the cap. The whole issue started when my lower hose blew, The car ran hot a little. I was thinking it might be the head gasket, but the radiator ran ok. HELP PLEASE anything
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know if its your head gasket. if ur head gasket is bad u will have water or coolent in ur oil. sounds more like a line or a cooling port some were is cloged. not en expert on how the car cools i just know what happens when a head gaskets starts to go bad.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarkAngelOfDoom
i don't know if its your head gasket. if ur head gasket is bad u will have water or coolent in ur oil. sounds more like a line or a cooling port some were is cloged. not en expert on how the car cools i just know what happens when a head gaskets starts to go bad.
No the last 2 times i blew my head gasket there was never any coolant in the oil. Yes if you lifted the head it can push coolant into the overflow. But i would run threw a list of checks first before coming to the conclusion is a head gasket.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If it is bad enough to push coolant over to the jug and onto the ground it is the HG.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:21 AM

Definately a head gasket if you ran it hot.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys for all your input.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

But what i dont understand is how my hose would burst. There had to have been pressure being built up from before. Because i just had the engine rebuilt. Is bursting hose a common issue with evos?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you fragged your headgasket.

You also probably have an air bubble in the the coolant. Buy a couple of jugs of coolant, and run your car with the radiator cap off. It'll probably get messy so be prepared.

You'll need to run the car until it warms up with the cap off. What will probably happen is coolant will over flow out of the radiator for a second or two, then the level will drop suddenly. When that happens add coolant. This will probably happy several times, so you may just want to take it somewhere and have them do a coolant flush and fill. It'll be easier on you and less messy that way.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

The radiator is off now, so i was going to test the water flow threw the engine to make sure there was no blockage in the engine. I will run water threw the upper radiator block connection, and see if it runs out of the bottom. Because i ran the car with the cap off and it overflowed, and went back down, and i refilled, but it never shot out or anything.

Originally Posted by s2kguy
Sounds like you fragged your headgasket.

You also probably have an air bubble in the the coolant. Buy a couple of jugs of coolant, and run your car with the radiator cap off. It'll probably get messy so be prepared.

You'll need to run the car until it warms up with the cap off. What will probably happen is coolant will over flow out of the radiator for a second or two, then the level will drop suddenly. When that happens add coolant. This will probably happy several times, so you may just want to take it somewhere and have them do a coolant flush and fill. It'll be easier on you and less messy that way.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

It should never "shoot out". You just keep following the procedure until the flow levels off and stays that way. Sometimes its helps to squeeze the hoses a little. You may have to add fluid several times to get all the air out of the lines. If you can run the car for a solid 5 minutes without it overflowing then dropping suddenly, all the air is probably out of the lines.

It can take 10-20 minutes of running the car before things fully settle down. There are a lot of nooks and crannies for air to get trapped.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like the HG to me also. I blew a coolant hose that feeds the throttle body, but not one of the main ones going to the radiator. My coolant hose blew at about 52K miles. How many miles on your 03? It is recommended that you replace your coolant hoses at 60K per the manual.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

almost 8k miles
Old Mar 24, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Mine did the same(hose to TB). The compression in cylinder #2 is 120... the others are at 140. Im thinking HG. Another thing is there are spots of oil in my coolant.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, same thing happened to my Lancer. Its the HG.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOLVEU
Mine did the same(hose to TB). The compression in cylinder #2 is 120... the others are at 140. Im thinking HG. Another thing is there are spots of oil in my coolant.
i dont think so

Quick Reply: Engine building pressure