Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine blown?? tranny is gone ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine blown?? tranny is gone ??

i was racing a m5 i was up front but as soon as i wanted to shift i shifted 4th to 3rd rather than 5th by mistake i had recently installed exedy hd twin plate so shifting was kinda stiff it grabbed fast i think the clutch did withstand the shock but i heard something weird i cant discribe it very gd whenever i try to accelarate i hear this weird metal sound like a formula sound it took it home asap so i am not sure if its coming from the gear clutch engine tranny but its pretty loud only when u accelarate or push the gas pedal any help is apperciated
Old Apr 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

motor... prolly spun a bearing????
Old Apr 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a metallic whine? One that gets louder the faster you go? If it's a whine that starts to sound like a siren at highway speeds, then it's most likely the "death-whine" of a trashed transfer case.

Even if that's not it --- please get it to a good Evo shop right away for some TLC.

Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 01:44 PM

not sure gonna take it on a recovery tommrow and take to some garage to prevent any further damage but there was no over heating the gears were going in with no problems but still that noise whats bothering me the most
Old Apr 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could be few things, for sure something snapped and its making that noise eg. in trans/t-case/ Your engine is probably fine, I would start from taking down the trans, maybe you can hear it when you put the car on the lift and start the car and let someone to rev a little. Well, take the car to someone who knows how to work on evo's and go from there but do not drive the car, personally I would tow it.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Apr 9, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
something in your drivetrain for sure i dont think your engine would blow like this
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
With the clutch in .... reving the motor ...... does it make the noise? If yes... then engine. The stock motor doesn't like 10k+ rpm with or without fuel.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Emperor666
i was racing a m5 i was up front but as soon as i wanted to shift i shifted 4th to 3rd rather than 5th by mistake i had recently installed exedy hd twin plate so shifting was kinda stiff it grabbed fast i think the clutch did withstand the shock but i heard something weird i cant discribe it very gd whenever i try to accelarate i hear this weird metal sound like a formula sound it took it home asap so i am not sure if its coming from the gear clutch engine tranny but its pretty loud only when u accelarate or push the gas pedal any help is apperciated
your english needs work, and use periods to seperate your thoughts.

on the question at hand id say its your trani or t-case. if its ur t-case u would prolly know because of the loud death whine it gives off. More than likely i would say its your trani, maybe your syncros
Old Apr 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
With the clutch in .... reving the motor ...... does it make the noise? If yes... then engine. The stock motor doesn't like 10k+ rpm with or without fuel.
+1 ... that is what I was going to recommend. When your clutch is in and the tranny is disengaged if you are still getting the sound its your engine.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I am getting the same kind of noise, at half to full throttle, and right around 3100 to 3500 rpm, then completely goes away. It's been going on for two weeks and it's pissing me off.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

if you got it into gear and let the clutch out, and then realized it was 3rd and not 5th, sounds more like you overrevved the engine.

My bet is you either floated (and bent) a valve or you spun a bearing. I doubt it's the transmission or t-case based on how you described the sequence of events.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:52 PM

i am gonna start the car in the morning and see what happens ill rev it with the clutch engaged and without also ill drive it around to make sure if its got to do with engine i think i am gonna install a stroker kit while i am at it if its not fixable

Last edited by Emperor666; Apr 9, 2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

My guess is that you bent abunch of valves....when you shift from 4th to 3rd when you are at redline in 4th nothing good can come. You over spin the motor and all the pistons hit the valves. I bet if you check the compression it is gone in at least one of the cyclinders and suffering in the others.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:10 PM

heres a start up video can be played only on quick time

http://download.yousendit.com/ED8D5D2258A174A7

while driving around u can hear metal noise in the background

http://download.yousendit.com/81D850BC6E3B3B9B

while reving up the car half of the video clutch engaged it rev up to 6k or 7

http://download.yousendit.com/5310A04066705BBA

heres another video while driving again if u couldnt here anything from the first 1 try to lower the bass on the speakers so u can here that annoying sound

http://download.yousendit.com/47AE7AEA210DF9C7
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

i could not watch the vids.....but heres a bump. PS I would bet $1,000 it is your valves.

Quick Reply: Engine blown?? tranny is gone ??