Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Evolution of a Street Machine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, good news and bad.

Picked up the car today from GST, everything was installed, no problems with the parts. (Thanks Mert!!! Derek, Greg, Mike, and Bryan).

Bad news, the Exedy Twin Plate HD apparently really needs to break in b4 we can tune it. Bryan had it on the dyno but it kept slipping over 5k.... so he flashed me a conservative and safe map, and limited it to 14psi boost till i break it in. we'll go back and tune it tuesday morning.

The good news is that 1) that gives me time to try to pick up an Apex'i Intake to throw in over the weekend before the tune. 2) We were driving it around and MAN does it feel strong down low now, and even with 14psi limit, it boosts sooooo quick.

So bottom line, I got my cake but it's inside a glass box and I can't open it till next Tuesday. Semi satisfying, but frustrating cause I wanna go fast now.

Oh, and the Jun BL is pretty loud at WOT-- ok, realllllllyyyy loud. It's livable for daily driving, i think. I'll have to post more later, but it's quite loud. Not too 'droney' on the freeway though so iono. It lobes pretty good on the cams, idling at 8-900 range. Bryan says he can tune it up to idle at 1k to get rid of the lobing but i kind of like it. The Exedy takes some getting used to. It's much, much stiffer than stock, and quick to engage, and there is some chatter when the clutch is pushed in, but it grabs fast and hard, and i really like the lighter flywheel- downshifting so much easier now.

OK, time for some pictures- Numbers will have to come on Tuesday, but I'm pretty stoked.

1- Closeup of Jun BL tip and APR Rear Diffuser- No problems during install with this combo btw

2 & 3- Shots of the full Exhaust piping run: Nice and straight for the most part

4- Samco Hose Kit- I know, not really exciting is it? lol

5-All strapped in and ready to go

6-Good gravy, that's a lot of smoke. That won't pass smog I don't think....

7, 8 & 9- Home at last, and some shots of the mighty Perring FMIC- Wheee- no endtanks in sight!!!

Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:39 AM
85?

Lookas like a lot of fun, wish I could do the same.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good, i wanna see number!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

every time I see a clean black evo, I wish I have gotten a black one... Nice car!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
nice build you have going
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vboy425
looks good. but some of stuff got to go.

HKS drop in filter - if you going to use this might aswell just don't use a filter. get a K&N
Samco Hose kit - junk
Apex'i AVCr - junk
Tial BOV - over kill
thats a little harsh isnt it?
Old May 1, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Well, no luck today. Went back to GST and Bryan was going to tune it, but we tested the clutch again with 20psi and the clutch wouldn't hold it. It's still squealing and chattering when engaged so bringing the car back on Monday so Mert can work his magic on the clutch (ie. pull it and maybe put in a new one) and while it's there, they'll do the KW Variant 3's, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Roll Center Adjustment Kit. Then hopefully on Tuesday Bryan can tune it. Will post the results next week, but for now I'm stuck at 14psi wastegate and going through fuel like it was candy (I think i'm getting a good 12 mpg at the moment =/) due to the safe, but fuel rich map, till we can get the clutch done.

Let me say that everyone at GST has been real great with this project so far. Between Mike, Derek, Greg, Mert and Bryan, everyone has been real helpful in deciding what to do with the car, which parts to put on, and as far as the clutch situation goes, they've all been super helpful with dealing with it and ensuring that it will all be taken care of. Heck, Derek even gives me rides to and from the shop when I drop it off, and they are a few cities away from where I live. Couldn't ask for better customer support thus far from GST! Highly Recommended shop.

But i did do something productive today. I mounted my AVC-r which was sitting rather forlornly in my glovebox for the last 2 weeks.

First 2 from the rear seat behind the driver, everything off.

Powered up:

Next 2 show where i made the hole for the wire. I had to cut a bit from the plastic that was behind the panel as well, but as you can see, it's a pretty clean hole and barely noticeable. Used a mini-hacksaw and then a circular file for the finer work.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to actually turn on the AVCr and get tuned and have some real dyno numbers.
Old May 1, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bosshog
every time I see a clean black evo, I wish I have gotten a black one... Nice car!
I was just thinking the same exact thing... Damn my electric purple - I mean blue - Evo...

All he needs to do now is to drop that bish in the front some - then it will look even more aggressive coming up in the rearview...
Old May 1, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mudduck
I was just thinking the same exact thing... Damn my electric purple - I mean blue - Evo...

All he needs to do now is to drop that bish in the front some - then it will look even more aggressive coming up in the rearview...
It'll be dropped next week when the coilovers go on.
Old May 2, 2007, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

I'm loving the color .. and the mods are perfect!!

Keep up the gooood work!
Old May 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Huge Update

OK, lots o stuff to add here.

To sort the handling I've added KW Variant 3 Coil Overs, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, Whiteline End Links (backordered =/), Whiteline Roll Center Adjustement Kit, and Tein Adjustable Camber Plates front/rear:

Suspension has not been adjusted/tuned/lowered yet. Going Monday for alignment, corner weight balancing, height adjustment, and setup.

More updates next post...
Old May 13, 2007, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Even More updates- Carbon Fibre

Over the last couple nights, added loads of CF bits:

Titek CF Spark Plug Cover and Cam Gear cover:

Seibon CF CW Style Hood and Titek CF Hood Dampeners:

More updates next post heh....
Old May 13, 2007, 01:51 AM
Evolved Member

Coming along very nicely. Car looks great! You be droppin that cash like there's no tommorow
Old May 13, 2007, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

Tuned!!!

So, this morning, before work, went to GST to get tuned by Bryan. After a while on the dyno (27 miles and half a tank rofl), the car was ready to roll. Bryan did a hell of a job on the car and I am quite pleased. Let the sheets speak for themselves:

this next one is my old baseline vs today's results:

and afr's, boost, etc...

The car feels soooo quick now. Man, it's great. And i get more than 10-12 mpg again. yay!

In fact, everyone at both GST (install and tune) and Speed Element (parts and some install) that I've dealt with while building this car has been super helpful and been more than willing to share both their knowledge and expertise, along with their gas for rides back and forth to my house while the car was dropped off. Excellent customer service, so mad props to Mike, Derek, Greg and Bryan @ GST, and to Devin, Cal, Andy, Mike and Jay @ SE. Thanks for making this build thus far as painless as possible (other than in the wallet) ;p
Old May 13, 2007, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

One last update: Wheels!

Then, for the grand finale of the evening, came home from work and found this waiting for me:

Wonder what's in there. Let's find out, it's like Christmass:

A wrapper inside the box O.O:

Peek-a-boo

These should be on the car tuesday wrapped in 245/40/18 Bridgestone RE01-Rs. Can't wait

I think I'm gonna hold the car at this stage for a little bit, maybe do some brakes soon, then chill out with the spending for a few months- if i can resist the need for more power for long heh.

Quick Reply: The Evolution of a Street Machine