Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Extended clutch rod: Whats the REAL truth behind it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonestock!
BUMP from the dead.

Ever since my gearbox was rebuilt (under warranty!) and new ACT clutch was installed my clutch engages right at the very top of the pedal. Its getting very annoying and I know it cant be good on my clutch or fresh tranny.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but shouldnt I loosen the 12mm locking nut and turn the rod counter-clockwise to lower the engagement point? It seems like either direction makes no difference.

I ask on this thread because someone mentioned I might need an extended clutch rod.

Your clutch is hydraulic actuated by the clutch pedal, so just because it engages at the top or bottom doesn't make a difference on wear.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Your clutch is hydraulic actuated by the clutch pedal, so just because it engages at the top or bottom doesn't make a difference on wear.
While this is true, adjusting the pedal too low will prevent the stock clutch from fully disengaging. I had to raise my pedal on the stock clutch to prevent 1-2 grind when shifting over 7k.

FWIW my cusco twin works fine with the stock rod.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Too low engagement - risk incomplete engagement which wears syncros

Too high engagement - only a problem if it is so high the hydraulics will no longer self adjust for wear and they actually become preloaded. There must be some freeplay, even just a little.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I swear I can't adjust my clutch pedal properly. If I adjust the pedal lower, the clutch feels like it does not full disengage, and it is tougher to shift, if I adjust it higher, the clutch feels like it doesn't fully engage. This is a stock clutch with 30k miles. Any ideas?
Dan
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I read and did the clutch adjusted listed here
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...563a2c0e959093
and now when I press my clutch I cant get the car in gear. If I press the clutch 3/4 way downit is actually eaasier to get the car in gear, should I undo the adjusted that the above article said????

Evo 8
Exedy twin disk 6000 miles
SS clutch line with the pill removed

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
also you could have a bent input shaft in your tranny. some input shafts have been coming out bent from the factory. this would cause uneven and premature wear on the clutch disk. furthermore make it hard to disengage possible problem on this thread as well. i'll post a good link in a few.

Eddie
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

jackstransmissions.com

this guy is the man he helps me out with any problem i run into with all of my rebuilds. dsm or evo he's the man for parts/knowledge/and work.

Eddie
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kduncan01
... when I press my clutch I cant get the car in gear. If I press the clutch 3/4 way downit is actually eaasier to get the car in gear, should I undo the adjusted that the above article said????

Evo 8
Exedy twin disk 6000 miles
SS clutch line with the pill removed

Thanks for the help
I have a similar problem w my exedy twin. Could it be that when you press the clutch to the floor the fork is moved too much - to the point where the throwout bearing is putting pressure on the input shaft and not letting it rotate easily?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rushin
I have a similar problem w my exedy twin. Could it be that when you press the clutch to the floor the fork is moved too much - to the point where the throwout bearing is putting pressure on the input shaft and not letting it rotate easily?
i dont think thats possible this clutch is pull type like rx 7's

Eddie
Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

I have the HKS GD MAX twin disk and i don't need it :S
I used it when i had my dsm :S waste of money imo
Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ModenaTwinTurbo
jackstransmissions.com

this guy is the man he helps me out with any problem i run into with all of my rebuilds. dsm or evo he's the man for parts/knowledge/and work.

Eddie

I agree with ModenaTwinTurbo, try watching this video, fixed my 1-2 high rpm lockout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Funny this came back up as I just got the issue fixed.

The cause was actually the Exedy clutch, I sent it back to them and they tested it and found that the plates were not lined up correctly. Exedy cleaned up the clutch assy and made timing marks and sent it back to me.

Just got the clutch re-installed (I have not collected the car yet) and the shop emailed me the say the clutch is working properly

I hope to collect it tomorrow, I will test it for myself and let you know
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kduncan01
Funny this came back up as I just got the issue fixed.

The cause was actually the Exedy clutch, I sent it back to them and they tested it and found that the plates were not lined up correctly. Exedy cleaned up the clutch assy and made timing marks and sent it back to me.

Just got the clutch re-installed (I have not collected the car yet) and the shop emailed me the say the clutch is working properly

I hope to collect it tomorrow, I will test it for myself and let you know
did they charge you for this? who did you speak to? are there any timing marks from the factory on it? my customers car might have the same problem. i'll give them a call back on tuesday.

Eddie Rosado
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ModenaTwinTurbo
did they charge you for this? who did you speak to? are there any timing marks from the factory on it? my customers car might have the same problem. i'll give them a call back on tuesday.

Eddie Rosado
No they didnt charge me but it does take awhile to get the clutch back. I just called Exedy and asked for the support department.

There are timing mark, they were not aligned during the initial installation and that was the source of the problems. Exedy clean the clutch, realigned the plates, made new alignment mark and returned to me. I have the car now and it shifts good.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

damn how do i find theese timing marks. i have a customers car up in the air and i really wana get this car back to this guy. but i feel his new rebuilt tranny wont be feeling too good in there if the clutch is going to do the same thing again.

Eddie

Quick Reply: Extended clutch rod: Whats the REAL truth behind it?