Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 264 cams - before and after dyno sheets and impression

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2003, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Its people like you that make Evo.net great.

It has been suggested to me that much of the gains possible with custom cams can be achieved with some intake timing advance. 1-1.5 degrees. It would be an interesting experiment to do the same dyno run on the stock cams with intake advance.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Braf
Thanks for the info. Its people like you that make Evo.net great.

It has been suggested to me that much of the gains possible with custom cams can be achieved with some intake timing advance. 1-1.5 degrees. It would be an interesting experiment to do the same dyno run on the stock cams with intake advance.
We got substantial gains (10-12hp on our dyno) by tweaking both intake and exhaust timing a few degrees (we retarded them, in fact). Big improvements to knock resistence and output with no discernable loss in the low end, idle stability, drivability, mpg, etc,. Only "problem" is that doing so can eventually trigger the a faulty misfire code (and check engine light) since the factory OBD-II misfire diagnostics constantly compare the crank and cam angle waveforms/angular velocities which will always be out of whack if exhaust cam timing is changed. We're in the process of revising some code and adding a few features to the XEDE in effort to eliminate this diagnostic glitch. If it works out, it will certainly be a nice no-downside option.

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 21, 2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

We got substantial gains (10-12hp on our dyno) by tweaking both intake and exhaust timing a few degrees (we retarded them, in fact). Big improvements to knock resistence and output with no discernable loss in the low end, idle stability, drivability, mpg, etc,. Only "problem" is that doing so can eventually trigger the a faulty misfire code (and check engine light) since the factory OBD-II misfire diagnostics constantly compare the crank and cam angle waveforms/angular velocities which will always be out of whack if exhaust cam timing is changed. We're in the process of revising some code and adding a few features to the XEDE in effort to eliminate this diagnostic glitch. If it works out, it will certainly be a nice no-downside option.

Cheers,
shiv
It would be interesting to see what the adjustable gears would do on the dyno - but kind of a waste of time for me at this point as i have many other modifications planned for the next few weeks - maybe when i am all done I sill spend some dyno time to play with the cam timing

Shiv just out of curiosity - that code that comes up - is it a soft code - OR does the ecu pull back power when that code comes on ???

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

i've heard the AMS evo8 with 272 cams, and it idles amazing! i'm going 272/272 right away..

to each its own tho.. but since ive seen how they idle, im no longer undecided..

Old Jun 22, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spooldswede
i've heard the AMS evo8 with 272 cams, and it idles amazing! i'm going 272/272 right away..

to each its own tho.. but since ive seen how they idle, im no longer undecided..

I am sure you can find good results with either set of cams - they are very high qaulity units - big issue is availability right now
Old Jun 22, 2003, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
With these cams, is a piggy-back or a reflash needed or is it possible to drop them in and reset the ECU?

Is there a set path to stepping up to cams? Are there parts that are best to have before putting cams in? Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Event-Horizon
With these cams, is a piggy-back or a reflash needed or is it possible to drop them in and reset the ECU?

Is there a set path to stepping up to cams? Are there parts that are best to have before putting cams in? Thanks!
You MUST completely re-tune the car when you put the cams in - and you will prob be hitting fuel cut with the cams - so you'll need to either turn up the fuel pressure or add bigger injectors and then lean out the maf signal to avoid fuel cut
Old Jun 22, 2003, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but bear with me...

Short of taking the head off, is there any way of finding out whether you have aftermarket cams? The reason I ask, is that I bought this car second hand, and not even the dealer knew what was in it.

He told me the turbo was stock, but when I looked, I knew that it was an upgraded turbo.

The idle is a little lumpy, so I wonder if it's just poorly tuned or if it's aggressive cams causing this. I am having it retuned this week, so at least I can eliminate that possibility.

But is there some way we can have a look at the timing of the cams without taking the head off?
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:30 AM
In Timeout

yup there is theres a little screw looking thing u tweak a lil bit to +/- (retard/advance)
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice Al.

Now I really want a ride in that monster. Are you using cam gears. Did Pruven install the cams??

Thanks
Eric
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Al, it's always a pleasure working with you, (and talking to you every day for the last 2 weeks)
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky
Very nice Al.

Now I really want a ride in that monster. Are you using cam gears. Did Pruven install the cams??

Thanks
Eric
No cam gears - of course Pruven installed the cams
Old Jun 23, 2003, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Told ya!

Good job getting the cams. With DSMLink on my Eclipse, I adjusted the idle to 950RPMs. No idle quality issues at all.

Unfortunately, you don't have that option.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

you cannot raise the idle? but it seems there is no issue with the 272 cams idle... but the 264's do ALFRIEDESQ??? the 272's produce how much more power...and larger injectors will be needed, like what size? and do you need an in-tank feul pump?

oh, lastly, how much would all this kill the MPG?

-shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

What Dyno did you use. Cant tell from the sheet or maybe I missed it.

Quick Reply: HKS 264 cams - before and after dyno sheets and impression