Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thrown a rod out the block!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Jam is selling factory 4g63 block for 2700+ then if i get this... i will sell everything and but the core and buy a 2.0 stroker.

Last edited by evovin; Jun 3, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

OH SNAP!!!

that sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. Especially when you weren't even doing anything to warrent this happening to your car. I hope the best for you. If you can get an extended warrenty plan to cover it or perhaps your engine/drivetrain warranty from your car insurance perhaps? Geico does that for me. If you have something like that, it could be another option. Or a combination even. Hope to see your car back up and running on the forums soon. Good luck.

~S3t
Old Jun 3, 2007, 01:07 AM
Account Disabled

dude that sucks, but i told you you shouldnt have been driving on it with the low compression....... take it to the place you got it since you got the extended warranty from them......
Old Jun 3, 2007, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say the rod was bent and that is why the comp was low at that time. I have seen many 7 bolt motors throw rods for seemingly no reason and under 350whp.

I know my motor will be geting a set of Eagles soon.

I found on my last cust car that lost a rod bolt doing a 2.4 was cheeper than geting a 2.0 back in the car.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoBig16G
Did you buy the car used? Might have been badly abused by the previous owner.
I have not been able to draw the line on how much fun driving is abuse.....but man I run my car through the wringer....an 05 with 50,000 miles and is trapping 120 on the stock turbo, full weight at 3000ft elevation....and no signs of something disasterous like this happening..I probably do first and second gear rips a couple times daily and haul *** on to on ramps when traffic permits. Race it bi monthly at the drag strip......How much does it take to kill this motor I don't know but apparently the previous owner found the limit....probably stretched a rod bolt.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Where are you located in Florida? I would definetly try the warranty unless you are ready for the stroker and the cost relating to it. Have you decided if you are going to run a larger turbo and everything as well.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoBig16G
I don't think there is a market for brand new stock internals.

you will also need to get the IX ECU and IX wiring harness to get the IX engine to work in your VIII.
Only if you want MIVEC. I've asked around, and it is possible to run a VIII head on an IX block, meaning that you don't need to change the ECU. I'm guessing that other issues may crop up though mixing and matching an IX block and VIII head, though.

l8r)
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evovin
2nd option:
I have purchased an extended warranty not from mitsubishi.(they are not as strict as the mitsu)My warranty will do it as long as its factory parts. I already talked to one of the shop here. I was thinking of getting the 2.0 factory block (off course) but once i got them i will sell all the internals and get the 2.0 stroker kit. basically labor is free but need to sell the internals of the block to help me with the new AMS or Buschur 2.0 stroker kit.

You are misunderstanding something here. A 2.0L motor uses the stock OEM crankshaft. The parts that you would be replacing to build a 2.0L performance motor are the rods and pistons, both of which would be forged and higher strength than the stock comparable parts. The "Stage III" Buschur 2.0 or the AMS 2.0 forged shortblock would simply have forged rods and pistons.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not in the office but I believe we have a built 2.0 and 2.3 in stock.

As much as I would like to see you in a built motor, if cost is you issue I would turn it back to stock and hit them up for warranty. If there is a history with low compression in cylinder 4 then there was obviously something wrong ie: bent rod, Piston partially cracked, etc. We are not about taking peoples money and running with it at AMS. I would much rather see you happy with your car. Talk to the dealer a bit more. a few hundred dollars or personal hours in labor to convert your car back to stock might be worth it. Especially if you don't plan on modding you car to the point where it would warrant a built motor. my 2 cents

Eric
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MANGOOK
Where are you located in Florida? I would definetly try the warranty unless you are ready for the stroker and the cost relating to it. Have you decided if you are going to run a larger turbo and everything as well.
Milton near Pensacola
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
I am not in the office but I believe we have a built 2.0 and 2.3 in stock.

As much as I would like to see you in a built motor, if cost is you issue I would turn it back to stock and hit them up for warranty. If there is a history with low compression in cylinder 4 then there was obviously something wrong ie: bent rod, Piston partially cracked, etc. We are not about taking peoples money and running with it at AMS. I would much rather see you happy with your car. Talk to the dealer a bit more. a few hundred dollars or personal hours in labor to convert your car back to stock might be worth it. Especially if you don't plan on modding you car to the point where it would warrant a built motor. my 2 cents

Eric
Cost is not an issue...just want to get away with the labor fee if possible. I have already talk to the shop...once my warranty aproves...then we will get the factory block but i will sell the internals and get a 2.0 stroker. Basicaly the warranty is paying my labor. I will sell the factory block internals or maybe keep it.

You have pmed me...is that price for the whole block and internals? or do i still need a new core?

Last edited by evovin; Jun 3, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Hallman Pro
Walbro FP
Turbo XS TBE
Blitz Turbo Timer
k&n cone filter
lower ic pipe
Fighter's garage oil catch can
Prosport gauges

All these mods and no tune listed.....I think that was your problem.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

got tune!ok
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:57 PM

wtf was there a fuel problem or what? how come it seems like it just did this out of thin air?
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fallen86
wtf was there a fuel problem or what? how come it seems like it just did this out of thin air?
Like what i said...we check the compression before and it was low on cylinder 4.<<<and this is the rod that came out the block! I really think now that its the rod bolts!

Quick Reply: Thrown a rod out the block!!!