Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 ACT Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having similar problem but upon acceleration. From Idle to acceleration (In 1st) I get a wierd vibration from when the clutch engages to when I let off the clutch. The noise can be described as a dragging or "Coffee Grinder" noise. I can feel it on both clutch pedal and gas pedal. The noise seems to come from the Front driver side area (or at least that it seems to be coming from when driving).

This does not occur on a regular basis...but I notice it in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd...sort of random.

I have ACT HDSS Clutch, Streetlite Flywheel, and basic performance mods (TBE, MBC, FP, and Flash).

Is this normal or something I need to be concerned about.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump
Any news on whats going on ?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:50 AM

Still waiting for the dealership to finish with the tranny. I will post as soon as I have my car back!!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gonzo6150
Still waiting for the dealership to finish with the tranny. I will post as soon as I have my car back!!
Maybe they will find something, but if they don't you should be fine. Mine has been making the exact same noises you describe for 22k miles. It's normal. Enjoy your Evo when you get it back. Oh, and I used mine for my PC business as well, but quickly learned to buy us a cheap, reliable business car. Not much fun putting those kind of miles on the Evo, they could be used much better..
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Dayton_EVO
My ACT with Pro Street light weight flywheel makes the same coffee grinder (or as I call it, marbles in a can sound) on decel in 4th gear every since install. Mine does it when I decel after downshifting to 4th and letting off the gas pedal. If you apply gas it stops until you let off again. It is very annoying, but I love the clutch. I've had mine in for 20,000 plus miles now. Even though my clutch has been taken care of and not been beaten to death, the noise is still annoying and makes me worry. I have never had the "High RPM Lockout" issue, but this is still a common occurance as it seems. I have searched for a while and seen no complaints on the forum until know.
Same here 25k on my HDSS Decel Noise Mod FTW
Old Jul 3, 2007, 06:06 AM

Update.

I got the Evo back after having the tranny serviced. The dealership found a bad input shaft and a bad 5th gear, which was replaced along with a few bearings and seals. There was a service bulletin issued in regards to 5th gear and the input shaft, but I didn't say anything about that. ;-)

The coffee grinder noise is still there tho. At this point, from everyone's feedback, I guess it's not going to hurt anything. I wish there had been some type of warning or disclaimer that ACT could have supplied with the clutch kit that would let a consumer know that the clutch and flywheel may make unusual noises. It would have saved me a lot of headache and worry.

Since this is my first time putting an aftermarket clutch and flywheel in a car, I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience.

-Brian
Old Jul 3, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

I have the ACT HD w/ prolite and I have the excat same noise. I also get 2nd gear lock out when under hard accel. I have replaced the throw out bearing 3 times, and rechecked the torque on all the bolts and it is still there. I am just learning to deal with it.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Update.

I got the Evo back after having the tranny serviced. The dealership found a bad input shaft and a bad 5th gear, which was replaced along with a few bearings and seals. There was a service bulletin issued in regards to 5th gear and the input shaft, but I didn't say anything about that. ;-)

The coffee grinder noise is still there tho. At this point, from everyone's feedback, I guess it's not going to hurt anything. I wish there had been some type of warning or disclaimer that ACT could have supplied with the clutch kit that would let a consumer know that the clutch and flywheel may make unusual noises. It would have saved me a lot of headache and worry.

Since this is my first time putting an aftermarket clutch and flywheel in a car, I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience.

-Brian
That sucks man , Ive been watching your thread closely b/c iam growing very tired on the clutch de-cell noise and i was looking for a quiter replacement for my loud twin . I dont understand how some cars have no noise but some do with same clutch .

So iam wondering if its the flywheel's fault more than the clutch (not enuf mass/noise dampering?) .

Last edited by matt55; Jul 3, 2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:48 AM

At this point, I don't know. I think Actman would be the best person to answer that question.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I admire your positive attitude but I have to speak up and say that properly working drivetrain shouldn't sound like a coffee grinder.

It may not even be the clutch. Mitsu techs are notorious for half arsed work especially on EVOs. Also keep in mind the car is used with an unknown history.

I haven't been the biggest fan of ACT due to a different issue on a different car but serveral of my EVO buds have gone with the ACT clutch and flywheel and all of them have had great success. No engagement, noise, or performance problems at all. I'm half temped to give ACT a second try myself.

If it were my car.... I would find the source of the noise and correct it before worse things happen.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jul 3, 2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

it's probably the lightened fly wheel that is exacerbating the noise, since i have the same clutch with the stock flywheel and no problems. . .that's the problem with those light flywheels. . .accentuates most clutch chatter. . .
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

At this point, I don't know. I think Actman would be the best person to answer that question.
Please review my earlier posts regarding noise and how it relates to flywheels, mods, torsional vibration, etc... There are a lot of variables that contribute to this type of noise which is why it is not the same on all EVOs.

The bottom line is that the torsional vibrations from the engine have an increased tendancy to make the gears growl as:
1. The performance goes up - higher boost, timing, cams, etc
2. The rotating mass goes down - lighter flywheel, pulleys, engine internals, etc
3. The disc dampening springs are too strong, or possibly too weak depending on the noise.
4. The dampening of the stock front dampener is changed.

Disclaimer: Once again, I don't have the car here to listen to so certain assumptions are made as to what the "coffee grinder" sound is like and how loud the noise may be.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt55
So iam wondering if its the flywheel's fault more than the clutch (not enuf mass/noise dampering?) .

I have the ACT HDSS with a stock flywheel and have the coffee grinder noise, my guess is that it is the clutch. Had the noise for over a year now.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

If you have had it for over a year, the disc center is an Exedy design. Unfortunately Exedy won't sell their OE discs to the aftermarket because I like the center section of the earlier OE EVO discs. We changed to our own parts about 6 months ago to use stiffer springs and stronger components for more durability/longevity under high power. Honestly I am not sure if the noise is better or worse now, but it is more bulletproof than before. Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to dog the Exedy discs. They have proven to be very reliable and we sold them for years.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Michael Cairns
I just had an ACT street clutch with prolite flywheel placed in my Evo 8. The clutch engagement is much improved over stock, with a bit firmer clutch pedal. My only issue is the "coffee grinder" sound heard when the car is decelerating in gear. Annoying, but a fair trade I guess.
i was just about to talk to someone about this as well, i had a ACT street clutch kit and streetlite flywheel( i assume this is the 2600 lb kit?) put in my 03 evo along w/ a new 2nd gear synchro and a tranny flush w/ BG synchro put in about 3 months ago, having the same noise you guys are describing...that grinding sound although mine only comes on when i downshift into 3rd above 4k and continues down to around 3k rpm, i can also hear it in 2nd gear a little bit from around 3500 rpm but barely noticeable i only get this grinding noise when im downshifting, im wondering if BG synchro fluid has anything to do with this, i though it was a lighter weight oil vs. stock and its not thick enough to muffle synchro noise? im playing a guessing game here, but it sounds bad, and i dont want to buy a new t-case or tranny if something happens, i hope its just the clutch,i looked at it myself, and ive taken it back in to have it looked at but the tuner shop i took it to said they found nothing on the inspection(very reputable shop too, they work on alot of dsms/evos)

Quick Reply: Evo 8 ACT Clutch Noise