Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

tre or shep trans....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the ball park price on the Shep tranny rebuild...my second gear shifts fine but I would like it a little smoother.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, John S. has pioneered many things on the DSM transmissions, more than anyone else. He has also pioneered many things on the 1g DSM's for racing, he does this for himself and not for resale so many are not seen/heard of.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
Thats John's profession, transmissions.... Just because he hasn't been doing it as long doesnt' mean the work isn't as good if not better...

Wine is the only thing that takes time to get better =-)
So how is building trannys NOT Buschurs profession. If they have been doing this since 91ish.

H*ll John doesnt even race Evo's, but Buschur does. First Evo in the 8's, and because he (john) has a 7 sec 1g, you are gonna have him do a tranny that is nothing like a 1g

I took 1st place this weekend at the Mitsu vs Subie shoot-out, and I swear on my mothers grave it was cause of my Bushwacker and Triple HD clutch that Dan recommended. This thing hits the gears like NO other trans out there.

And beleive you me... when it needs freshened up, its going back to Dan

Last edited by vwjeff; Jun 24, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

^^

Johns knowledge of the Mitsu trans pertains just as much to the Evo as it does to the 1G...

Last edited by warp9; Jun 25, 2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vwjeff
So how is building trannys NOT Buschurs profession. If they have been doing this since 91ish.

H*ll John doesnt even race Evo's, but Buschur does. First Evo in the 8's, and because he (john) has a 7 sec 1g, you are gonna have him do a tranny that is nothing like a 1g

I took 1st place this weekend at the Mitsu vs Subie shoot-out, and I swear on my mothers grave it was cause of my Bushwacker and Triple HD clutch that Dan recommended. This thing hits the gears like NO other trans out there.

Actually, the Evo and DSM transmissions share ALOT in common.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vwjeff

A tranny is a tranny.... They all have the same pieces and a bolt together the same. The difference between one builder and another is the small details (cleaning up, torqueing the bolts, etc).

Hitting gears has nothing to do with how well its built.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8HWjiZqxoEg

I seem to be hitting gears there just fine with a stock tranny. I just cant take the beating which is why it blew up on me.

I picked shep because he may not have the fastest evo, or an evo at all. I dont know nor do i care what he drives... But from my point of view it seems liek he rebuilds the most evo tranny's with the least amount of complaints...

i rather send my tranny who has done 5000 trannys with 10 complaints, than 100 trannys with no complaints. I also keep reading about people with TRE trannys that need replacment very very rarely a shep tranny

Cheers!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Anyone with a thourough understanding of transmissions and metalurgy can construct a stout transmission.
Lets see, how many people out there have a thorough understanding of DSM/Evo transmissions and metalurgy. Oh yeah, everyone and their mother can do it!

Do you know how flippin fast 7 secs in the quarter is? Have you ever seen shep's car launch before? Not anyone can build a transmission that can take that kind of abuse. I'm pretty sure shep is about the only man who could, or someone else would have done it by now. Putting together a transmission that can hold lots of power is not as easy as you think. I build transmissions, and they are no where near the level of shep's work. He knows all the materials secrets, every torque spec, and every free play and pre-load settings, that works in these cars, and has a much bigger staff working for him than TRE or Buschur.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jun 25, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Lets see, how many people out there have a thorough understanding of DSM/Evo transmissions and metalurgy. Oh yeah, everyone and their mother can do it!

Do you know how flippin fast 7 secs in the quarter is? Have you ever seen shep's car launch before? Not anyone can build a transmission that can take that kind of abuse. I'm pretty sure shep is about the only man who could, or someone else would have done it by now.
Theres sucha monoply on the market, its not worth someone doing mitsu tranny's only.

He doesnt do the treatments himself....

All he does is take it apart and put it together... Its like lego's....

I cant give too much credit to car builders like that.....

Shops like buschur, ams, turbotrix, peakboost.... etc etc etc that fabricate parts from scratch that make power deserve props. Not someone who replaces parts...

I bought my evo with no evo experience and installed a ton of parts on the car the first month having it... Not very challenging.... half the shops in business do the same thing, not hard.

Cheers!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Since I put a TRE tranny in My Evo the car makes a hell of a rattle when I lift off the throttle and let the engine brake. Otherwise, the tranny feels bombproof.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Theres sucha monoply on the market, its not worth someone doing mitsu tranny's only.

Shops like buschur, ams, turbotrix, peakboost.... etc etc etc that fabricate parts from scratch that make power deserve props. Not someone who replaces parts...

I bought my evo with no evo experience and installed a ton of parts on the car the first month having it... Not very challenging.... half the shops in business do the same thing, not hard.

Cheers!
Yeah transmission work is just like lego's no prior knowledge needed! Thats why everyone makes 7 second transmissions
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by s2kguy
TRE is good...

Shep is a legend.

Jon Ripple (TRE) probably can't outdrive John Shepherd (Sheptrans.com), but that's not the topic of this thread.

Just look carefully at the equipment available and used to do your rebuild, the number of steps done in each rebuild, what's included in a "stage" rebuild, what other services are available, and finally, the price, and make up your own mind where the best value is for you.

The best thing for each of us is to educate ourselves on what a transmission rebuild requires, so you understand exactly what is and is not included...

We're fortunate to have several good options in the Evo community for this service.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 03:56 PM
Account Disabled

Shep runs 7's and I can pay him to build me a tranny at a fair price. Man what a great world we live in. He's also fair, courteous, professional, and timely. My 1g shep tranny is so amazing that I want to send him my evo stuff as my first mod.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Cheers!
What you are saying is funny. Because John S. doesnt even run a SYNCRO trans in his car he runs a dogbox. He and a manufacturer worked together to make gears that are straight cut gears and dog teeth that still goes in a stock case. Not helical gears and syncros that are in DSM/Evo trans.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitey4d
What you are saying is funny. Because John S. doesnt even run a SYNCRO trans in his car he runs a dogbox. He and a manufacturer worked together to make gears that are straight cut gears and dog teeth that still goes in a stock case. Not helical gears and syncros that are in DSM/Evo trans.
Yeah custom fabricated dog gears, pfffffff anyone can do that!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitey4d
That wasnt always the case. He went fast with regular gears until he was forced to reinvent the gear, or wheel , as it were.

Quick Reply: tre or shep trans....