Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dropped a socket into engine!

Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to pep boys and buy one of those retractable antena looking things with a magnet at the end, great for getting those dropped nuts, bolts, and tools.

Or just get an old antena an stick a magnet on it.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used straightened hangar with a wad of masking tape on the end. Picks up anything... some dropped items are not metal.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s2kguy View Post
Go to pep boys and buy one of those retractable antena looking things with a magnet at the end, great for getting those dropped nuts, bolts, and tools.

Or just get an old antena an stick a magnet on it.
Did I not just suggest this in the previous posting?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
last time we got to digging in my car, we found a socket that i dropped the first 2 weeks i owned the car and couldnt find. It was wedged by the fan for over a year lol
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I've dropped two 10 mm sockets and couldn't find either. About 6 months later, I found 1 laying in my drive way. It must have fallen when I backed out of the garage. I never found the other.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by topnitroracer View Post
I found the shield around the starter is a magnet for everything. I have dropped manifold washers a couple times and they always seem to end up there. There was a hose clamp just chilling on my under tray for about 6 months. I didn't feel like taking that thing off and I was surprised it was still there.
+1
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I was working on my dads GSX and dropped a screw down into the belts. I couldn't find it for like 15 minutes. It was right under a pully and would have got sucked right in, heh.

Just today at work, I got a peice of tape stuck on the belt. I didn't know it until I drove the car out and hear "tick tick tick tick tick!" Didn't hurt anything, heh.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

when i drop my tools or nut down the engine bay. i just pound on the undertray to see where it is. and if is down there, i just grab a stick and poke them out. lol i have to take it out of i won't be comfortable driving it.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior View Post
The best tool that I've ever gotten for a gift was one of those telescoping magnets. I've lost count how many times that thing has saved me from losing tools, bolts, nuts, etc.
+1 that things a life saver!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for the retractable magnet.
another thing i use to find the thing i dropped is an inspection mirror. lets you look in places you can really see.

i seem to drop atleast 1 thing every time i work on my car. the only thing i havent found was my buddies socket
Old Jun 1, 2019, 02:58 PM

I know this is an old post but just wanted to ask if anyone has had the problem I'm having currently. I was putting on the fp race manifold I just got and went to put on the passenger side 14mm manifold washer and it fell straight down by the ac compressor bracket yet I'm looking all around, placed a magnet all through it, poked around with a solid piece of wire and still nothing. Has anyone had this issue and found the washer or nut? I've already pulled the manifold and turbo back off. I'm about to pull the wheel and turn the motor by hand. Just paranoid about putting everything together with a missing washer down there.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 03:15 PM

So turned the motor by hand and pulled the timing cover can't see anything and motor turns by hand just fine. If anyone has any ideas lmk. I've checked starter cover, center member, all around compressor bracket, compressor, and power steering. I'm about to start pulling more off.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 03:24 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 860 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by siccgsx View Post
So turned the motor by hand and pulled the timing cover can't see anything and motor turns by hand just fine. If anyone has any ideas lmk. I've checked starter cover, center member, all around compressor bracket, compressor, and power steering. I'm about to start pulling more off.
siccgsx

Sounds to me like youve done your due dilengence by removing the mani & turbo & making sure it didnt fall down into that. Totally understand about loosing a metal part & cant find it

Are you using a proper magnet probe on a telescoping rod?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts
I found the rubber in the engine end motor mount cracked. To replace it I had to pull the timing cover. To pull the timing cover I had to remove the water pump pulley. While putting everything back together I came up one bolt short for the water pump pulley. No big deal, I had a spare junk drawer bolt.

After driving some the engine started making a loud screeching noise. The sound seemed to be coming from the water pump. I pulled the pulley and inside was the missing bolt.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
missing bolts dropped into the cam belt cover is a bad thing.
need to find those for sure.

bolts always disappear in and around the steering rack. if you drop a washer or small bolt back there... those suckers are gone.

ive dropped a few subframes before and there are always a few washers, nuts... and various other things on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dropped a socket into engine!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.