Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dropped a socket into engine!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I installed some coilovers and I ended up losing the socket that is used for the shock body onto the hub(the two that use the same size and the top bolt being for camber adjustment). Anywho many months go by me thinking that socket is gone. I had to do something, maybe rotate tires so I took the wheels off and I found the socket still attached to the shock body.... Even with a few autocross events that socket never fell off lol.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 03:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys after turning it by hand and looking for about 2-3 hrs or more taking parts off the car, I made the executive decision to move forward with the fp red install. After everything was together and I rolled the car down the shop driveway, it sat there idling for a little bit before I left to burn off the fluids and stuff that were evaporating. Well low and behold I find a 14mm washer right at the bottom of the driveway were a let it idle while I was closing the shop down! It looks like it was it guys. Still dont know where it was though.

I even took another identical washer and dropped it in the same spot until it got lost and I recovered it with the telescoping magnet behind the ac compressor bracket.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
One thing I've done when trying to start a bolt in an awkward spot is to hold my telescoping magnet nearby in order to catch the fastener should I drop it.