Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

1156 DRL socket WTF???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1156 DRL socket WTF???

so i wanted to swap out the DRL bulbs with white LED bulbs... i'm sure a lot of you have done this before...

so i get my LED bulbs, i test them with a power supply (they work fine). i go to put them in... and nothing.

i use a volt meter and discover that the polarity on the socket is switched? WTF?

the bottom of the bulb should be postive and the case should be negative. so has anyone else experienced this? is there an easy workaround, or do i have to cut,switch, and re-connect the wires for each socket???
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

is your car sight and sound package?? if it is did you pull the e-brake down?? if e-brake is applied the drl will not turn on. I have sight and sound package with led drls. If you apply voltage and it lights up it should work.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:44 PM
Account Disabled

yeah, i have SSS...

the sockets are getting voltage... i.e. the normal incandescent bulbs work fine (because they're not sensitive to polarity)

the LEDs however care about polarity... so your X doesn't have a problem run LED DRL's, huh?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:10 PM

What are the DRL LED's that folks are running on X's? I was thinking about changing my stock ones out.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:11 AM
Account Disabled

so, is this just some weird wiring mistake on my evo? or have other experienced this too?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:01 AM
Account Disabled

a picture is worth a thousand words...
Attached Thumbnails 1156 DRL socket WTF???-1156_issue.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, have you tried taking the LED out and turning it 180° then re-inserting it? I do not have LED on the DRL's but I have a lot of LED's on the X that replaced regular halogen and they only operate one way. On a lot of LED packaging it tells you that if they do not fire up to rotate the LED then re-insert.
Good luck!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have LED DRLs and the work fine.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by wicked white14
Hey, have you tried taking the LED out and turning it 180° then re-inserting it? I do not have LED on the DRL's but I have a lot of LED's on the X that replaced regular halogen and they only operate one way. On a lot of LED packaging it tells you that if they do not fire up to rotate the LED then re-insert.
Good luck!
the 1156 bulb does matter which way you rotate it... (rotating doesn't change the polarity)

i'm really starting to think that my car was just wired backwards for DRLs... @#$!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Hmmm thats funny because i removed drl bulbs installed them and blew fuses. i removed them rotated them and never had the problem again... just fyi
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

One of my bulbs when out this morning so I will be changing mine out very soon and I'll post if I have the same issue of not.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoStig
One of my bulbs when out this morning so I will be changing mine out very soon and I'll post if I have the same issue of not.
if you have a voltmeter, can you see if the bottom of your socket is positive or negative?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pgpunkguy
the 1156 bulb does matter which way you rotate it... (rotating doesn't change the polarity)

i'm really starting to think that my car was just wired backwards for DRLs... @#$!
Wrong, if you are inserting LED's it DOES matter how they are inserted. They will only work one way, there is no way your car was "wired" wrong......well there prolly is a way, but not likely. Please try inserting them twice and rorate it if it does not work............I will almost garauntee that this is the problem...........I have a dozen freinds that this same thing happened to becasue most people do not understand the way LED's work due to the rotating issue! Good luck
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by wicked white14
Wrong, if you are inserting LED's it DOES matter how they are inserted. They will only work one way, there is no way your car was "wired" wrong......well there prolly is a way, but not likely. Please try inserting them twice and rorate it if it does not work............I will almost garauntee that this is the problem...........I have a dozen freinds that this same thing happened to becasue most people do not understand the way LED's work due to the rotating issue! Good luck
wrong... not for 1156 bulbs... there are two contact point: one at the base and the side... (look at the pic a few posts up). rotating it doesn't make a damned difference (for this type of bulb).

i'm wondering if the polarity can be switched by using a different DRL relay or with an ecu flash or something... i'm not looking forward to cutting/re-soldering these sockets just to run LEDs.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:51 PM

. Im having the same problem on my 2013 gsr let me kno if u find a way to fix it ill do the same some guy was tellin me to buy a resistor that it should help with this problem I let u kno how that works out.....

Quick Reply: 1156 DRL socket WTF???