Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

pics of Tial Sport new SS gt42 turbine housing + Shearer Manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow,just looks sick!!!!really nice work man!!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 08:19 PM

Beautiful
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

looks sick Danimal, can wait to see it all finished. Damn car is going to be too fast for Pinks. gotta run the RS instead
Old Jul 17, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shearer
I'm confident it will perform equally, most likely better, than the T4 housings. The biggest thing is that it saves quite a bit of weight.
I would be VERY impressed if the Tial housing with an undivided manifold can perform just as well as a divided manifold using the normal GT42R turbine housing. I've seen first hand the difference between using a divided manifold and an undivided manifold on the GT42 turbo and the gains are HUGE when you use the divided setup. Not just on the dyno, driving the car, it is a completely different animal with a divided setup on it.

But so far, it just seems like speculation that it will perform as well and I was hoping for some real world results? For speculations, on the GT35R, I could see the Tial housing performing as good or better then the normal GT35R undivided housing. But I would be shocked if an undivided Tial housing GT42 setup outperformed a divided GT42 setup. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it would be very surprising. Outperforming in my mind would be which ever setup made the best usable power while driving the car on the street as well as making peak power at the track, both weighted equally. Although peak numbers reign supreme on the track for a clean pass, not all passes are clean and it's nice to know that you have the torque needed to get the car off the line without a redline launch. Also, should you bog out a bit, the extra mid range will make a huge difference between a terrible bog making for a 12 second pass and maybe .2 off the timeslip and still being able to win the race.

Unless you feel like losing the 10 pounds or so will be more beneficial then the huge mid range gains that the divided setup will likely have? I could see both housings making similar peak numbers and in a drag race, the mid range gains likely would not be seen with a WOT high RPM shift and with a clean pass, the slightly lighter car would go slightly quicker.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome dan. You know your fan's in Houston support you 100%.

Kevin
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

looks awesome. for a second there it looked like the exhaust mani was connected to the cold side of the turbo.........then i woke up.

Nice setup. looking forward to seeing some great timeslips
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I would be VERY impressed if the Tial housing with an undivided manifold can perform just as well as a divided manifold using the normal GT42R turbine housing. I've seen first hand the difference between using a divided manifold and an undivided manifold on the GT42 turbo and the gains are HUGE when you use the divided setup. Not just on the dyno, driving the car, it is a completely different animal with a divided setup on it.

But so far, it just seems like speculation that it will perform as well and I was hoping for some real world results? For speculations, on the GT35R, I could see the Tial housing performing as good or better then the normal GT35R undivided housing. But I would be shocked if an undivided Tial housing GT42 setup outperformed a divided GT42 setup. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it would be very surprising. Outperforming in my mind would be which ever setup made the best usable power while driving the car on the street as well as making peak power at the track, both weighted equally. Although peak numbers reign supreme on the track for a clean pass, not all passes are clean and it's nice to know that you have the torque needed to get the car off the line without a redline launch. Also, should you bog out a bit, the extra mid range will make a huge difference between a terrible bog making for a 12 second pass and maybe .2 off the timeslip and still being able to win the race.

Unless you feel like losing the 10 pounds or so will be more beneficial then the huge mid range gains that the divided setup will likely have? I could see both housings making similar peak numbers and in a drag race, the mid range gains likely would not be seen with a WOT high RPM shift and with a clean pass, the slightly lighter car would go slightly quicker.
I think Ron was saying that the TiAL housing would perform better than a single-scroll, undivided T4 housing on the 42R.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
But I would be shocked if an undivided Tial housing GT42 setup outperformed a divided GT42 setup. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it would be very surprising.
Exactly my feeling and with all the hype regarding divided vs. Open flute I would be suprised if it performed better. Regardless, the housing looks nice and the setup looks good.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by justboosted02
wouldnt a cast iron turbine housing hold more heat and therefore help transfer more energy to the turbine wheel and effectively spool the turbo quicker? just thinking out loud
Correcta-mundo. Cast iron is probably more prone to cracking and will corrode faster, but it is better at insulating (it doesn't conduct heat as well as stainless). This is only a small complaint however, since the internal flow design and coatings can alleviate these problems.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:03 PM
Ron
Evolving Member

Eh? You guys have it backwards. Cast iron has FIVE TIMES higher thermal conductivity than stainless. Hence, stainless is the better insulator.

Also, the heavier the housing, the more it acts like a heat sink. The bigger and heavier the housing, the more heat it will suck out of the exhaust when cold.

Therefore, a light-weight stainless housing is a far better choice if you want to keep exhaust heat where it belongs--inside the housing.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RSGuy
I think Ron was saying that the TiAL housing would perform better than a single-scroll, undivided T4 housing on the 42R.
As far as I know, the Garrett GT42 is only available with a divided turbine housing... It uses a V-band connection on the turbine housing, where the conventional T4 is a bolted connection.

I believe Precision makes a "GT42" that is based on a T4 turbine CHRA and turbine housing and is available in an undivided configuration, but I wouldn't consider it a true GT42.

I can see both housings having advantages. Dyno and track results need to be acquired before anybody should be claiming that the Tial housing is better though.

Now, if Tial some how whipped out a divided, investment cast stainless housing with the latest Garrett scroll/nozzle profile in it, diffuser outlet, and V-band connections all around...I'd be sold no questions asked other then what A/R it was available in. Even the undivided GT35R housing has me itching to make a purchase right now though...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
looks sick Danimal, can wait to see it all finished. Damn car is going to be too fast for Pinks. gotta run the RS instead
Contact Lucas English and get him the transmission he paid for you scamer.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dpEvoVIII
Contact Lucas English and get him the transmission he paid for you scamer.
Newbe maybe you should mind your own business as you dont know the scenerio.
Thanks
Sorry for that rude interuption Dan
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
Newbe maybe you should mind your own business as you dont know the scenerio.
Thanks
Sorry for that rude interuption Dan
I know that you dropped the ball after you received payment moron. Make it right and then you might have leverage to talk.

Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I know, the Garrett GT42 is only available with a divided turbine housing... It uses a V-band connection on the turbine housing, where the conventional T4 is a bolted connection.

I believe Precision makes a "GT42" that is based on a T4 turbine CHRA and turbine housing and is available in an undivided configuration, but I wouldn't consider it a true GT42.

I can see both housings having advantages. Dyno and track results need to be acquired before anybody should be claiming that the Tial housing is better though.

Now, if Tial some how whipped out a divided, investment cast stainless housing with the latest Garrett scroll/nozzle profile in it, diffuser outlet, and V-band connections all around...I'd be sold no questions asked other then what A/R it was available in. Even the undivided GT35R housing has me itching to make a purchase right now though...
Come to think of it, you are absolutely right. A true GT42R is divided. My bad, thanks for clearing that up for me, bro