Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Evo Shuts down..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could the grouds do this, would the itsu ground kit help?

-shahul
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Isn't it possible to just turn the idle up so it wont flatten and die?
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

did you add a light weight flywheel when you did the clutch? and if so how long after did this start happening.the reason i ask is
a light weight flywheel at times in certain vehicles can cause the idle to drop under hard excel or just at idle under load like with ac on.

good luck hope you find your cause
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:32 AM

Might be the idle control valve

Under the throttle inlet there is an idle control valve - it can stick and then you get problems setting the idle speed. Most aftermarket ECUs like GEMS and Haltech allow this valve to be controlled. Not sure about the Link.

Also, check the vacuum piping if you added an aftermarket boost gauge. If the gauge is connected to a hose for control of fuel delivery you can get this sort of problem.

Lastly, all these engine have a grounding problem, add several extra earthing straps if not fitted already. You need a strap to the inlet manifold, each of the ignition coils and an extra strap to the engine.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails My Evo Shuts down..-sailor_gulley.jpg  
Old Jun 29, 2003, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

really, so again...is the MITSU groud kit any good?

-Shahul
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

I doubt it’s the BOV. With the Evo 7/8 the air consumption is derived from manifold pressure and temperature. The dump valve does not affect the measured air in. Earlier models had a sensor that measured air flow upstream of the BOV and could be fooled by VTA valves. This caused miss fuelling and resulted in stalling.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Since it appears to be heat related and only occurs once the car is hot my best guess without the car in front of me would be the coils. They show their weakness in heat. Test the coils resistance. Next hunch would be fuel pump, which also shows it's weakness when hot.

Last edited by n00dle; Jun 29, 2003 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:06 PM

I wanted to share that my idle issues are now GONE... I finally installed the Grounding kit and it runs MUCH smother... I wish I had done this modification a long time ago... I guess I really was not sure it would do anything for me... I did not adjust my BOV... The only thing I did was to install the earth ground kit... Now with A/C the idle is rock solid and the car is much smoother… I almost can’t believe it made this much difference…

I highly, recommend this mod! I used the Lineage Kit in addition to a few additional custom cables that I made for my homemade version that I never could find time to finish…. I now know why Mitsubishi offers an Earth ground kit as an option…. BUT…. It should be standard on our cars if it makes this much of a difference…
Old Jul 30, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

the problem is with the bov,on mitsubishi cars the the air coming from the bov has to be recirculated back to the intake and then the ecu injects the fuel to compensate for that air coming in.and if your bov is vented to the air the car starts running to rich on fuel,and when the engine goes down below 800 rpm thats where it stalls.but all you need to do is re-flash your ecu and adjust the problem so you can still have your bov that you purchased.but if your still looking for another brand turboxs or forge has good recirculating bov and you can still hear the whooosh sound.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your BOV is not recirculating air back to the manifold, the air you lose causes the the engine to shut down...