Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Vertical Flow Intercooler Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, that is what this poster is doing. first bought the intercooler, going to drive on it for a little while, then we will install the twinscroll turbo kit
Old Jul 28, 2007, 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
yes, that is what this poster is doing. first bought the intercooler, going to drive on it for a little while, then we will install the twinscroll turbo kit
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, so he is using the core that is meant for the stock turbo which is rated at 775whp, not the larger ones that comes with the twinscroll kits, correct?

Last edited by Vigo; Jul 28, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
wow thats badass
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

now we need to do a back to back against my car man...lets do it!!!

way to go Geoff, u had to release that just after i got a new FMIC

funny i know that garage all too well...

Last edited by 555R; Jul 28, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Vigo
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, so he is using the core that is meant for the stock turbo which is rated at 775whp, not the larger ones that comes with the twinscroll kits, correct?
I think the cores are the same, both are 8x24x3, but the stock turbo cooler comes with all the piping necessary to run with the stock turbo. The other is just the cooler by itself.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
Account Disabled

The ones that comes with all the twin scroll kits are 26"x12"x3" cores.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
cmj
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
the advantages of a vertical flow core are that they keep the same amount of surface area as a horizontal core (same cooling capacity) but have many more rows for the charge air to travel through. This nets a smaller pressure drop and increased flow capacity as compared to a traditional horizontal flow core.
I realize that the surface area is the same, but what about time spent cooling the charge?
The amount of time the charge air spends in the core is reduced, does that come into play?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

this is the identical intercooler that comes in our twinscroll kits, nothing changes on the intercooler. The only difference is in the LICP. They both can support 775whp.

Originally Posted by 555R
way to go Geoff, u had to release that just after i got a new FMIC
heh whats up man, i havent seen you in years, since Import Auto Salon in Long Beach i think?? Its your fault for getting a new FMIC without telling me!

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I think the cores are the same, both are 8x24x3, but the stock turbo cooler comes with all the piping necessary to run with the stock turbo. The other is just the cooler by itself.
thats correct thanks

The ones that comes with all the twin scroll kits are 26"x12"x3" cores.
the core is a 26" x 8" x 3" with endtanks the dimensions are 26"x13"x3"

Originally Posted by cmj
I realize that the surface area is the same, but what about time spent cooling the charge?
The amount of time the charge air spends in the core is reduced, does that come into play?
the heat transfer coefficient 'h' changes due to the intercooler core. time does come into play but the 'h' value improves more
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
How much of the spool-up improvement is due to the core being tube and fin as opposed to bar and plate?

Also, would this core cool less efficiently than a good bar and plate core (in a horizontal alignment) like a Garrett?

Would you recommend this core for all applications, or is it more of a drag racing app?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone take this intercooler out to a track day and prove it!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

time to start saving! mwahaha

i love seeing all the new innovations geoff, even though some are skeptical i'm sure time will tell.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so how is the upper ic pipe working... looks a bit cumbersome from the pics
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Geoff, how does your intercooler compare to Nisei, AMS or Buschur? The core seems a lot smaller, does this matter? The shorter path seems great for spool up, which definately peaks my interest...... but is there enough surface area to actually cool the charge as efficiently as say Buschur's race front mount intercooler? If your intercooler can keep up with the above, combined with the TS manifold and turbo, then this would be the best of all worlds!! Looking forward to the final testing. Your products look awesome.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ffgeoff

yah its been a while
i think it was when we were in the LB and getting lost in Compton, then that wonderful club...and the quick tirechange burnout thingie
yah well i havet looked at your site in a while
but i def am interested in possibly getting some of your stuff for my IX MR
i think i talked Big A into getting one or he saw how much fun and trouble ive been haveing...hell i think my brother in law is getting tired of bailing me out of speeding stops
5 excessive ones this year... he's a dover pd

as for the other doubters

Have you ever seen a slow car with Full Race parts...i think alot of them are the fastest out there so far

Geoff knows his sheeeit...hell he has an engineering degree and has these insane programs that figure out alot of things most people dont think of...

my college days were spent living with alot of ME and EE guys and as geeky as I thought it was they do figure out alot of things i wouldnt have thought of
Old Aug 1, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I want that intercooler!!!!

Quick Reply: Full Race Vertical Flow Intercooler Review