Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

to build or not to build...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to build or not to build...

Guys,

I blew a rod through my block the other day... running a 50 trim with stock block... what could've caused this? I remember that I've been running the car for around two weeks with less oil than I should, guess it never really got me to think about that being such a serious problem.

Since I'm getting a used block here (in the Philippines), I can't decide whether to build it using forged internals. I mean, does the block really need forged ones? Did my 50trim cause the conrod to break? Here, it really is expensive to install forged internals since you just can't find them off the shelf in stores. By the way, car is '98 Evo 5 which has never been rebuilt at any time. 50 trim has been installed 5 months ago.

So here's my option, run an Evo 6 block with internals in pretty good condition, with my used crankshaft that's been verified in good state by the machine shop so that I can save a lot. I am planning to run max of 22 psi only. I just really wanted to know if I really should spend on the forged because I really am kind of short but at the same time, I MISS MY CAR!!!!

Please let me know if my plan is ok... I'll be swapping my ruined block into a used Evo 6 block with good conditioned internals... while I try to stay away from this kind of problem from occuring ever again.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

lack of lubrication can/will cause the failure mode noted.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me get this right... You didnt think that running your car low on oil was a bad thing?

here is what most likely cause it. Bad tune, or no oil. 50trim isnt that big of a turbo and 22psi isnt that much. you dont need forged internals you just need to keep oil in it.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm maybe the rod bolts stretched, causing the failure??
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I've been really soaked with work lately and it always skipped my mind. Never ran it hard though when I knew I was lacking a little oil... It was stupid of me, I know... no excuses.

Anyway, I'm really trying to stay away from upgrading my internals coz I use it everyday and I have no plans of going higher than 22psi... I just want a reliable daily driver that has the punch when it needs it. I have no plans of further upgrading the turbo anyway, I just want to know if 22psi w/ stock internals is a bad thing... thanks so much for your quick reply guys.

I guess I'll be staying with stock internals! I just wouldn't want this to happen again.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind of oil did you use.

Even if well maintained, stock parts with stock oil with much more power than stock may cause bearing failure.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

It wasn't really bearing failure... just the one of the conrods was cut in half... would it be stupid if I go for stock internals?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

If your not planning to go higer than 22psi...then you should be good with the stock block. But one advise..get the ARP rod bolts this time! Welcome to the club pare! check my signature.
Originally Posted by turboj
Yeah, I've been really soaked with work lately and it always skipped my mind. Never ran it hard though when I knew I was lacking a little oil... It was stupid of me, I know... no excuses.

Anyway, I'm really trying to stay away from upgrading my internals coz I use it everyday and I have no plans of going higher than 22psi... I just want a reliable daily driver that has the punch when it needs it. I have no plans of further upgrading the turbo anyway, I just want to know if 22psi w/ stock internals is a bad thing... thanks so much for your quick reply guys.

I guess I'll be staying with stock internals! I just wouldn't want this to happen again.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Oh! you mean like this>>>https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=thrown+rod
It wasn't really bearing failure... just the one of the conrods was cut in half... would it be stupid if I go for stock internals?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

it sucks man, but i really don't want to go forged if i don't really need to! yes it is a good investment, but knowing the streets of Manila, i don't think there's quite any room for more than 22psi anyway.

i'm still thinking about it though, since the guys at extremepsi.com really do have good prices.

what did you do to your engine? what did you replace? did you still use the crankshaft? how's it running now and what do you think the culprit was?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

hey are you filipino, evovin?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and by the way, the same cylinder has been killing spark plugs for months... lost compression in there?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

that's piston ring!
Oh and by the way, the same cylinder has been killing spark plugs for months... lost compression in there?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

oo pare!
pm me if you have questons. ingat man!
hey are you filipino, evovin?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

if you lose oil pressure, the conrod bearing will ride the crank rather than "floating" on oil. this friction will cause the bearing surface to heat up, which causes the bearing to expanding, causing more friction and so on. As this bearing tightens up, you get a bending moment in the conrod and eventually it will break. You will also likely see some "bluing" on the conrod just above the journal end of the conrod adjacent to the break.