Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
my statement about evo4 diff is correct. The front diff of evo4-9 lives in the t-case. sounds like you think it lives in the tranny like evo1-3 cars. The evo 4-9 front diff is torsen gear type. If the car is acd equiped it will come with this same torsen diff . the center diff lives in the tranny on all evos. but the viscous coupler lives in the t-case for evo 4-9. If the t-case is acd the coupler is replaced with ACD clutch pack. my experience is not from reading threads but actually handling and rebuilding the parts. this will be my last post on this since you dont like your details being corrected. off topic as well.
You are again, a little right and a little wrong.

The evo 4-9 front diff is indeed inside the transfer case, I never said it wasnt. But it was only RS's and very few 5/6's that came with a front torsen. Alll others were open front diffs.

The center Diff in every single evo (no matter where the VCU is located) is a Viscous LSD.

You arent saying anything different than I am, you are just trying to make it sound like you are. It does not matter where the diff's are located (tranny or t-case), or where the VCU is located for the center diff.

you are spreading mis-information about something you think you know about. I undertstand you know how to rebuild them, thats great. I have had many-a-tranny/t-case/rearend apart as well. But that in no way (obvisouly) means you have a full understanding of what types of diff's an evo uses front/center/rear.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the car, I want to get one when Im finally out of school and making some real money. Then I can afford both!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO

94awdcoupe is partly correct about checking for a front LSD. if it were a clutch type LSD, it will spin the same way as the wheel you are spinning right away. If it were a Viscous LSD, it will spin opposite for a second or two, then switch, and spin the same way. (read about viscous LSD's and you will know why). torsen style LSD's will spin the opposite way no matter what, because a torsen style LSD can only transfer torque until one wheel completely looses grip. then it essentially operates as an open diff once that happens. This is why it is mostly only used in the front of AWD cars or FWD cars.
Actually we are both wrong on how to check for the front LSD. I just tested mine and it has the factory LSD in front. When the LSD is cold the wheels will spin opposite direction as normal open diff would.(Ijust tried spinning mine for 30 seconds, the plates do not heat up by hand) The silicon fluid has to be hot for the plates to lock together for the wheels to spin the same way. I have previously checked mine before and the wheels spun the same way. It must have been hot then. I assumed it always spun the wheels the same direction as do clutch type diffs.

If you want to know if the tranny has LSD just tell me the last four letters of the tranny code and I can tell you if the tranny has LSD on not.

I just checked my new white car and found it has the optional front diff, Hell Ya!..
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ you have to many toys
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Gorgeous cars...i'd love to try out a RHD car.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
Account Disabled

I just tested mine and it has the factory LSD in front. When the LSD is cold the wheels will spin opposite direction as normal open diff would.(Ijust tried spinning mine for 30 seconds, the plates do not heat up by hand).
That is correct. As many have stated but not summarized-

The Evo 1 has a VCU center and rear. It wasn't until later that the rear clutch packs were introduced.

here's my little poopsie.

Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^ retarded nice poopsie...Hoosier's set it off real nice...got traction?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

She hugs the road.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

diggin the flares Bimm, those are sweet!

As for the warm/cold diff test, you probably would be right with it being warm, as when i checked the car was warm.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
That is correct. As many have stated but not summarized-

The Evo 1 has a VCU center and rear. It wasn't until later that the rear clutch packs were introduced.

here's my little poopsie.

I saw your car posted on another board. how do you open the back door?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:59 PM

Actually we are both wrong on how to check for the front LSD. I just tested mine and it has the factory LSD in front. When the LSD is cold the wheels will spin opposite direction as normal open diff would.(Ijust tried spinning mine for 30 seconds, the plates do not heat up by hand) The silicon fluid has to be hot for the plates to lock together for the wheels to spin the same way. I have previously checked mine before and the wheels spun the same way. It must have been hot then. I assumed it always spun the wheels the same direction as do clutch type diffs.

If you want to know if the tranny has LSD just tell me the last four letters of the tranny code and I can tell you if the tranny has LSD on not.

I just checked my new white car and found it has the optional front diff, Hell Ya!..
I believe a good condition viscous should have 'some' lockup by hand. My Brother's Subaru Impreza 2.5RS rear diff did the same thing.

Whatever the case, the front is NOT open diff since they do turn the same way. I checked the tranny case and it appears to have been opened; has some thick sealant in one seam. Unless the factory applies the sealant as sloppily..

In any case, here are my firewall numbers:

W5M33 3909

So... the question is.. suppose I have a transaxle with Front LSD, a stock center viscous, and a Helical (Torsen) rear.

What fluids should I use? Kinda basic question, but hey. wanna do it right. I can't get my hands on a Galant VR4 shop manual yet. (Which remidns me... can I get that thing from the mitsu Dealer?)

Thanks all.

Last edited by randedge; Oct 1, 2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome

I just discovered this thread today...
welcome.

Make sure the ABS Lines are connected behind your rotors of the front wheels.
I have one that was somehow cut and I know of another car around these parts whose previous owner cut his abs lines.

WADAD
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

randage, the last four digits are letters not numbers. 3.909 is your rear end ratio but its not part of tranny code
W5M33-2-NGRE
W5M33-2-NNZT
W5M33-2-NPXV
W5M33-2-NPZT
W5M33-2-NQBE
W5M33-2-NQBK
W5M33-2-NQBM
W5M33-2-NRBE
W5M33-2-NRWE
W5M33-2-NRXD
W5M33-2-UPFE
W5M33-2-UPGE
W5M33-2-UPWE
W5M33-2-UPYE
W5M33-2-WPFE
W5M33-2-WPGE
W5M33-2-WPVF
W5M33-2-WPWE
W5M33-2-WPYE
W5M33-2-WQFE
W5M33-2-WQFK
W5M33-2-WQGE
W5M33-2-WQNK
W5M33-2-WQWE
W5M33-2-WQYE
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:28 PM

I had an Evo 1 out of Japan and it only had a rear LSD - centre and front were normal differentials. It was a great car but I had to buy two Quaife torsen differentials to make it handle really good.
Attached Thumbnails Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.-car.jpg   Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.-44.jpg   Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.-celcourt.jpg   Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.-night.jpg   Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.-scrutineering.jpg  

Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:37 PM

umm... where am I supposed to see this info? I was checking out the firewall and that's all I have there; W5M33 3909

So, what fluids should I use?

Quick Reply: Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.