Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.

If the Evo VIII (and I think IX) RS version came with Three LSD's - Front, Centre, and Rear - did all the other generations of the RS trim come with this way? The Evo1 is what I'm basically looking to acquire.

I reside in Canada where (at least so far) we are allowed to import anything over 15 years old.

Now that the Evolution 1 has sufficiently aged, we can now acquire a used gray market import from Japan.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting . . . anyone?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

pretty much the same drivetrain as a dsm so I know they have a rear lsd but not sure about front or center

Last edited by uglyevo; Aug 30, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I lived in Canada. 7 or 8 more years and you guys will be able to get the Evo V and VI.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Caveman Evo's are no nonscence
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slicedbreadno2
I wish I lived in Canada. 7 or 8 more years and you guys will be able to get the Evo V and VI.
wanna trade? cause i would kill for a evo 8 or 9
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Haha, whats a grey market evo. Is that like you only paralize someone for their car instead of kill them?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by randedge
If the Evo VIII (and I think IX) RS version came with Three LSD's - Front, Centre, and Rear - did all the other generations of the RS trim come with this way? The Evo1 is what I'm basically looking to acquire.

I reside in Canada where (at least so far) we are allowed to import anything over 15 years old.

Now that the Evolution 1 has sufficiently aged, we can now acquire a used gray market import from Japan.

Thanks in advance.
All evos come with a centre and rear LSD of some sort.

I know for certain that the evo1-6 had the front LSD as an option depending on model and trim, eg for the RS's the front LSD was an option while for the evo4+ GSR's it seemed some did and some didn't come with an front LSD standard.

Basically don't count on the car getting a front LSD as it all came down to what the original owner specced the car with.

Check the gearbox code and see if you can find a list known gearboxs that had front LSD's
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I own one here in the states. The above info is correct. The rear and center is standard. The front was a factory option.

I have an evo 1 and evo 9. If forced to sell one the evo 1 stays. I dont even have to think about it. Way more enjoyable to drive.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Those weigh less than the current Evos, right?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Those weigh less than the current Evos, right?
Christ yes, the evo1-3's weigh around 160kg's less than the evo7-9's.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

There is a big difference between "Viscous" differential and "LSD". All Evos come with f/r viscous differential with a select few with actual LSD in the front. Then there was AYC that was supposed to be a happy medium between the two for the rear.

If people thought Evos pushed now a true LSD in the rear would make the car hell to drive.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:18 AM

So Center and Rear are a definite, but fronts are a hit and miss.

That's ok.

What about Front to rear torque distribution?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

If it wasn't illegal to have them in the states I would.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:40 AM

Sept 17, 2007 I bought myself a lancer Evolution 1 GSR disguised as a III

These are the seller's photos:

Took it home Sept 19 and this was what I posted in another forum:
-----------------------------
So I got her home today.

This is a lot of firsts for me right here.

First Non Toyota (Always been a Toyota Fan)
First AWD
First Turbo
First RHD/JDM Import

If you've been driving for a long time, switching to RHD on the same roads is actually quite easy enough. The trip from the importer/dealer to my place took me right across the city through Deerfoot and Glenmore. I did drive around the industrial area a few times just to get used to the fact that I'm sitting on the other side. The biggest challenge initially? Mirrors. Sitting on the left and figuring out where the rest of the car is with the mirrors is so intuitive, sitting on the other side and being presented with the opposite image was a little daunting. But I acclimatized quickly enough and mustered enough courage to drive across the city on rush hour.

Were there control issues? You bet. My 2-3 shift is still so delayed and definitely taken with such extra care; wouldn't want to jam that thing back into 1. I kept on turning the wipers everytime I wanted to signal left. And I also kept wanting to wander left thinking I should be closer to that line. But in all, I got home fine despite being the first time driving RHD.

In fact, it's great that I feared the prospect of driving RHD. I was so much more attentive. So often, I've driven home and not remembered what the hell the trip back was like. Driving home today was a lot like getting my Class 5 all over again and heading out for your first ever drive alone! I was that giddy.

Just minutes ago, I was tooling around my neighbourhood, filled up with gas. Showed it off to mom, and dad (who test drove it already too), and my young cousin who's already an enthusiast at 15.

Now the attention this thing gets is ridiculous. I've always been invisible on the roads with all my past cars. This thing is VISUALLY LOUD! Even got a jaw dropped reaction.

I've been *****footing around and will most likely do so for a few weeks. This is great. As in, I respect the car and know that it can be dangerous. Having that fear is great because I take that extra care and attention.

But that's NOT to say I haven't really stepped on it at least once. Oh man, I'll say it right now. This car is MONSTROUS!

I have to give a big thanks to Quentin, a friend of mine, again for the help, the time and the... encouragement. I don't think I would have seized this opportunity as quickly as I did had he not been there saying I'd be an idiot if I didn't purchase it... Don't get me wrong, I wanted a car like this as soon as they got legal.. however, I would have hemmed and hawed and it would have sold to someone else.

I wanted an all-weather monster, and here is one. I gotta do something about that ride height and ridiculous spring rates though. Ugh. It's actually stiffer than my MR2. And I scrape the front airdam in any incline. Part of the reason why i wanted a change in cars is that the MR2 is impractical, too damned stiff, and too damned low. (and not fun enough if it weren't) I can't have a replacement car that's even more brutal in this respect.

---------------------------------

So that's what I wrote days ago. I'm slightly more used to RHD now.

Last night, I finally had a chance to jack her up on all fours and see what the underneath is all about. Beyond the car being chock full of goodies, I wanted to find out how many LSD's I have.

Discoveries:
-If I were to spin either front tire, ALL FOUR WHEELS SPIN WITH

-If I were to spin the right hand side rear tire, the two FRONTS SPIN WITH

and then the passenger (left side in this case) SPINS OPPOSITE.

-But if I were to spin the left side rear, ALL FOUR WHEELS SPIN WITH again.

-And if I start the engine and put the car in first gear and let it idle the wheels into action, THEY ALL SPIN TOGETHER.

That said if THIS PAGE says that front viscous is an option, then I might have that option!

The rears are supposed to have LSD regardless, so that opposite spinning action might be a result of it being HELICAL?

That said I have... Center Viscous, Front Viscous, and Rear Helical?

Am I correct in this assumption?

The page says "Rear VCU LSD" standard in GSR, "Rear Mechanical LSD" standard in both RS and GSR, "Front VCU LSD" option.

This is a little confusing thta it lists two standard rear lsd's... so if I were to assume that it's a typo (as is the case with the way the page lists gear ratios.. see EVO II for that) Then I guess the first "REAR VCU LSD" means the transfer case, the 2nd "rear Mechanical LSD" means the actual rear diff and that 'mechanical' means Torsen, and that the front VCU option is just that.

Other discoveries:
-The car is 4x114.3 (as opposed to 4x100 which I had been assuming)
but requires very high offset. I have 7" width and +40mm wheels.

-I have ABS sensors on all four wheels, but I can't find ABS module.
THIS PAGE again says ABS standard. So where's the module?

Japanese undercoating is so limited it's not even funny. Despite having coilovers the car also cannot be lifted any higher since they are short strokes. This is as high as it goes.

So that said, I may not be driving this thing yet I don't think i can do everything I want to do to protect it before ever driving it in winter. Look, I'm no weenie who's so afraid of some snow, gravel and slush, but I am afraid of salt. I want this car to last me, or at least be resold for minimum depreciation when I have to sell it (actually, as with most JDM cars, it probably went up and appreciated as soon as I drove it off the lot and found out all the other stuff)..

My mistake with my first gen MR2 was that I just didn't care and drove it and Rallycrossed it with the Calgary Sports Car Club. Wouldn't want that to happen with this thing. Next summer, the target would be Race City Calgary Road course events. This car would be too constrained in low speed Solo II

Last edited by randedge; Sep 23, 2007 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Evolution 1 (yes. ONE!) drivetrain question.