Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PCV and crankcase breather vent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo150
how about the pcv side? looks like a good idea, just cut the hose and put this inline. easy and take about 5 minutes to install or change out when dirty
the main issue with any of these systems is to alleviate crankcase pressure/vacuum that is made by the up and down movement of the pistons....basically the crankcase vapors just need a place to move back and forth from without sucking in any outside particles, or blowing oil vapors out of the engine (this is what a catch can would be for)

yes, the filter will work...on the pcv side its not as big of an issue...the intake side is where a filter or catch can in between the lines is going to give the most benefit, keeping the oil vapors from gunking up the intake system
Old Sep 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I just got a Crafstmen fuel filter :P I put it inbetween the breather and intake. No CEL. I was only getting CEL's if it was disconnected completly. I'm going to put one, maybe two for extra filtration (is that a word?) between the PCV and ITM.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is called blowby, here is a picture from Mitsubishi TSB, they even call it blowby
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  67.9 KB

and you cant plug the PCV. here again is from Mitsubishi TSB
saying engine stall or excessive oil consumption due to a pcv problem
Name:  EMISSIONCNTRL.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.8 KB

Originally Posted by MajorPayne
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't really need the PCV or breather connected, then why do I throw CEL's if the breather is disconnected? If I have the breather connected it's fine. Disconnect and I get a CEL. I'm almost certain that the ECU is programmed to sense the vaccum lose and throw a CEL whether or not it's bad for the car, but it's probably the law to have a CEL.

I'm not too worried since I'm just going to run those filters. They may work, they may not, it's worth a try...

It seems like I'm the only one getting CEL's with this damn breather hose. There is no way it's coincedence. First time it happened, I reset the ECU it went away. I had it off again and CEL came back on...

I just want to know for sure that say for instance the car is idling, and you yank off the crankcase breather tube, will it throw a CEL? Mine seems to. I never did it that directly because I'm sick of resetting the ECU.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Sep 9, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

haha well first off, of course the factory service bulletin is going to say its needed

secondly, when you have NO crankcase ventilation you get oil blowing by the rings, which leads to the excessive oil consumption

in theory you CAN plug the stock pcv hole, as long as you have other breathers (whether off the valve cover or block doesnt matter, all the oil passages are connected...ie its one big system)

i currently build porsche race cars, the factory pcv systems are always plugged and we put our own breather systems in more ideal locations, and apart from the layout of the engines, the systems serve the same purpose and use the same principles to operate
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
If you don't really need the PCV or breather connected, then why do I throw CEL's if the breather is disconnected? If I have the breather connected it's fine. Disconnect and I get a CEL. I'm almost certain that the ECU is programmed to sense the vaccum lose and throw a CEL whether or not it's bad for the car, but it's probably the law to have a CEL.

I'm not too worried since I'm just going to run those filters. They may work, they may not, it's worth a try...

It seems like I'm the only one getting CEL's with this damn breather hose. There is no way it's coincedence. First time it happened, I reset the ECU it went away. I had it off again and CEL came back on...

I just want to know for sure that say for instance the car is idling, and you yank off the crankcase breather tube, will it throw a CEL? Mine seems to. I never did it that directly because I'm sick of resetting the ECU.
its not that its going to hurt it, however it could potentially suck in crap you dont want in your engine

the pcv systems are only there to appease the epa more so than anything, otherwise there would only be a breather system that released the vapors to the atmosphere instead of sending them back to the engine to be reburnt

i wouldnt suggest leaving it open, one option you have is putting a catch can in the middle of the lines that is a sealed unit and baffled, so theres no filter on it, therefore the ecu will sense no difference in vacuum or pressure, but the vapors will be trapped in the can, rather than traveling back into your intake manifold
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MajorPayne
its not that its going to hurt it, however it could potentially suck in crap you dont want in your engine

the pcv systems are only there to appease the epa more so than anything, otherwise there would only be a breather system that released the vapors to the atmosphere instead of sending them back to the engine to be reburnt

i wouldnt suggest leaving it open, one option you have is putting a catch can in the middle of the lines that is a sealed unit and baffled, so theres no filter on it, therefore the ecu will sense no difference in vacuum or pressure, but the vapors will be trapped in the can, rather than traveling back into your intake manifold
Yeah, I understand what it does and why the manufacure returns it to the intake, but I'm saying, even though it's not harmful to the engine itself, is the ECU programmed to throw a CEL light if a line is disconnected? I'm getting the impression from many catch can topics I read and other topics that people say no, you shouldn't get a CEL, but I did. It would have to be one hell of a coincedence to happen twice....
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

Without knowing what code is thrown there is ZERO link to anything having to do with the breather.

For all anyone knows it could be P0300.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
is the ECU programmed to throw a CEL light if a line is disconnected?
i dont know for sure, but if its happening everytime then yes, its possible they have a pressure sensitive switch that checks for lack of crankcase pressure
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
Account Disabled

There is no such sensor.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
There is no such sensor.

he needs to get the CEL checked...that might be the best place to start
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't have the code checked out but I think I found the reason. When I had my MAF out cleaning it last night I had my key on listening to music. I don't think I had started the car until I tried to do the filter on the crankcase breather. With the key on and the MAF plug I think it automaticlly sets the code.

Today when I had my intake off cleaning it I again had my key on listen to music with the MAF unplugged. Started the car, again another CEL.

This topic has had my very curious, and I went down, started my car and pulled the tueb off my crankcase as it was running. No CEL. I shut the car off and turned it back on, still no CEL.

After long hard thinking I remembered what I could have possibly done in the past two days that would throw a CEL. It finally hit me...the MAF. So I did exactly what I did the first two times. I unplugged the MAF and turned the key on. I turned the key off, plugged the MAF in, started the car and there it was "Service Engine Soon".

Sound like this could be the culprit? I already cleared the first two codes myself so I'm not sure what they were though I'm pretty sure it was the MAF. AdvanceAutoParts closes at 5 on Sundays so I couldn't get the code pulled today anyway...
Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Question

Can you connect the breather and the pcv to the same catch can?

And the catch can I have has 2 openings now I use an aem with a solid intake pipe so there is no re-routing off of one side of the can back into the intake.

Can I run both lines breather and pcv into the can with the can being sealed , no way of pulling fresh air into the crankcase??
Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:53 PM
Account Disabled

You cannot unplug the maf while the key is to the on position.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You cannot unplug the maf while the key is to the on position.
Well to be specific, it's was unplugged before I turned the key on. But I am almost certain this is how I was getting CEL lights, not the breather tube.

Quick Reply: PCV and crankcase breather vent