Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WB in stock o2 location?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WB in stock o2 location?

So instead of the hassle of another muffler shop telling me they won't weld a bung on SS piping i was thinking.

Now, i feel stupid asking because it seems like it would logically work but i don't want to **** something up.

But can you put a WB o2 sensor in the place of the stock pre-cat o2 sensor and splice the wires to get the ECU the readings it needs and a guage for me to see the WB a/f ?

Because i'm starting to get the notion that the reason i can't find too much help about welding on an extra bung, is because this way is possible? (or people don't have to deal with emissions and cat's like me )
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock O2 is a narrowband, so I don't know if they're interchangeable or not. The ideal location for the WB O2 sensor is down near the cat. Just beat up on the welder until he'll weld the bung into your DP.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Stock O2 is a narrowband, so I don't know if they're interchangeable or not. The ideal location for the WB O2 sensor is down near the cat. Just beat up on the welder until he'll weld the bung into your DP.
Negitive on the interchangeable bit, they don't even run the same voltages typically.

See the problem is the narrowband sensor IE your O2 sensor has a very small gap of readable AFR's typically just hovering around the edges of 14.7 AFR. Any leaner or richer and the sensor switches a voltage anywhere from 1-5volts in a +/- fashion to indicate to the ECU hey your running lean or rich.

Its not advised to place a WB sensor too close to the turbo the extra heat while ok to a narrowband sensor is deadly to a WB and will shorten the life of it substantially. If you want your $70 sensor to last put it just before the cat where heat wont be such a big issue.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

I been told that the closer to the turbo the better reading you will get but the only bad side that the wb wont lest long being close to the turbo.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:49 AM

Some widebands can output a signal that looks like a narrowband as well, so that they can be used in your narrowband's location. I know the Innovate LC-1 is capable of this. However, it's true that the heat will shorten the wideband's life, and the readings will not be any more accurate than placing it right before the cat.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:26 AM

Cool, thanks guys.
I think i just found a welding/ custom fab. shop. I'm gonna go down there and see if they'll do this for me. Maybe they aren't afraid of Stainless Steel, haha.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to revive this thread but I don't want to be flamed for making a new thread. I have a Lancer Ralliart and lack the turbo.. however I have a LC-1 that I want to install on my car. My upstream O2 sensor has stripped threads right now and isn't seating right so from what i read above I can use the Narrowband output on the LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor to replace my stock O2 sensor?

My other question is will the LC-1 be capable of outputting a wideband signal to my laptop and a narrowband to my car's ECU at the same time?