Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car was driven with the park brake on for a mile or so...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car was driven with the park brake on for a mile or so...

Hi,

I have a RHD Japanese import Lancer Evolution 1.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=292415

^^ That was my first post.

Being in a country that is LHD, my car is somewhat unique. No one in my family has driven RHD before and as such I am so protective of it whenever someone wants to test drive it...

Simple things just confuses people.

Today was no different.
When my brother asked to test drive the car, he drove it with the e-brake up for about a mile or so.
He drove for speeds up to 80 kph (50mph)

Though I was so worried of how rough his shifting and his lane centering was, I still wasn't diligent enough to catch that he had left the park brake up.

When we pulled over, the rear brakes smelled and as I look into the rear disk, it seems to be glazed.

My heart sank and I was near hysterical and crying. I've only had the car for a few weeks and thoughts of a broken center differential and costly tranny repair haunted me...

As far as I could tell, the rears never locked up. Pavement was dry, temperatures were in the +20deg C (68F). So the rear tires definitely never stayed stationary - hence why the brakes cooked.

Do I have anything to worry about a broken center viscous coupling? Could the event have heated it up to the point of destruction? As far as I know, the viscous coupling can be destroyed only by a massive constant speed differential between the fronts and the rears, such as running differently sized front and rear tires, right?

Am I looking at costly repairs now? Still drives fine, as far as I could tell btw... but of course how do I know that my AWD car is still AWD....

Is my center VC cooked?

Last edited by randedge; Oct 7, 2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

i do not think you have anything to worry about, if the rear wheels were spinning freely then i would think the most damage would be the wearing of your rear pads....feel your e-brake now..it may not be as tight anymore but i would say you are fine if it was not too far...i can not see it doing too much of anything...for prolonged time you will smell something burning and you could warp the rotors...so worse comes to worse you will need new rear rotors and pads...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I completely agree, no severe damage occurred. You might have to replace the rotors or pads, but thats about it (you might want to bleed the system and put in new synthetic fluid as well).
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:08 PM

Anyway, good news.

It's just the rear brakes that got cooked, and that's no biggie. I intend to do a complete brake job come Summer anyway - in preparation for track days or whatever I can make.

How do I know?

Well, doesn't it go like this:

A weakened viscous coupling takes longer to bite? As in, the older/weaker it gets, the more heat (or speed difference) it takes before it starts to bite?

Well, I jacked the car up on all fours and started turning one wheel and all fours still turned instantaneously.

Whew.... that really alleviates some worries.

THANKS for all the replies guys.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:30 AM

Also, I don't think damage was done to the rotors (besides leaving a lot of pad material on them) to the point of warpage - the moment I realized the park brake was left up, I put it down, pretty much kicked my older brother out of the car, and then drove around the countryside (I live close to the city limits) at 100+kph (60+mph) so that the brakes would catch moving air and not have the pads stick to the rotors.

Last edited by randedge; Oct 8, 2007 at 08:34 AM.