Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 + tuned for 93 octane = boom?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
Wow! This thread is just as great as the Honda owner who had a turbo kit put on with NO piping, just a manifold, turbo & oil lines.

Seriously... WTF!
Link to thread?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update. Please don't assume I didn't have a clue to what E85 is and just decided to fill up on it to save money. I know gasoline has more energy than alcohol which is why you would get less mileage due to more ethanol being needed for proper combustion. I was assuming the ecu would add more fuel and my gas mileage would just suffer. Why even put E85 in you ask? I thought it was like race gas where you just fill up and turn up the boost. Where did I get this idea? I read that ethanol is 105 octane. Bad idea to say at the very least. What's going on with the car right now? I drove it on the highway for awhile and after that filled up with V-power. It's roughly half e85 and half premium gas. I will continue to take it easy until I can get rid it and reset the ecu after that. Thanks to all who actually had something helpful to say.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I do my best to refrain from being condescending, but I am sorry, this is just too severe of a blunder to keep myself contained.

Self-Serve Fuel Lesson for Dummies #001:

If your car is designed to utilize unleaded gasoline, filling it with E85, diesel, biodiesel, kerosene, or water may result in serious engine damage.

Ok, carry on . . .
haha
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

If you truly had a "clue" about E85 then you wouldn't have put it in your car without a tune and supporting mods. In your research, you should have discovered that it IS NOT just like race gas and your EVO needs to be tuned for it. I hope you can get your car back right, though.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
Update. Please don't assume I didn't have a clue to what E85 is and just decided to fill up on it to save money. I know gasoline has more energy than alcohol which is why you would get less mileage due to more ethanol being needed for proper combustion. I was assuming the ecu would add more fuel and my gas mileage would just suffer. Why even put E85 in you ask? I thought it was like race gas where you just fill up and turn up the boost. Where did I get this idea? I read that ethanol is 105 octane. Bad idea to say at the very least. What's going on with the car right now? I drove it on the highway for awhile and after that filled up with V-power. It's roughly half e85 and half premium gas. I will continue to take it easy until I can get rid it and reset the ecu after that. Thanks to all who actually had something helpful to say.
Ethanol actually has more energy because you need more of it. That's the right way to put it.

Our ECU will add more fuel, but only at idle and very low load. BMW 335i on the other hand i think operates in closed loop under boost, so i bet you can fill'er up with E85 and step on it!

Last edited by mplspilot; Oct 19, 2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
its EQUIVALENT to 105oct. however, it has different characteristics than race gas so you need a tune.

-Chris
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=bluebanana23;4866788] I thought it was like race gas where you just fill up and turn up the boost. Where did I get this idea? I read that ethanol is 105 octane.

You THOUGHT it was LIKE race gas..
Basically, you didnt' have a clue.

My stomach contains acidic juice, so I figure I can drink acid and still be okay.

Ignorance can let you do all sorts of brave things.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I do my best to refrain from being condescending, but I am sorry, this is just too severe of a blunder to keep myself contained.

Self-Serve Fuel Lesson for Dummies #001:

If your car is designed to utilize unleaded gasoline, filling it with E85, diesel, biodiesel, kerosene, or water may result in serious engine damage.

Ok, carry on . . .

+1.

(you have no idea how much i'm biting my tongue right now.........)
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In all honesty.....

If you reduce the size of your injectors in the ECU to something like ...... 325 and lean out the fuel table from 100-300 with something like 11.8 you should be fine to boost 20psi on 100% E85. You can toss another 5-8* of timing in the high loads as well.

I can post a ROM for you if you would like.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
In all honesty.....

If you reduce the size of your injectors in the ECU to something like ...... 325 and lean out the fuel table from 100-300 with something like 11.8 you should be fine to boost 20psi on 100% E85. You can toss another 5-8* of timing in the high loads as well.

I can post a ROM for you if you would like.
Why would you want to lean it out or add timing?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
this confused me as well. i was under the impression that you need more injector in order to flow more fuel so compensate for the e85.

-Chris
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

he's tricking the ecu into thinking it has smaller injectors - which effectively adds more fuel across the board.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:42 PM

dont u have to change the fuel lines.. coz as far as i know E85 is corrosive.. & is it true that u have to change the engine oil to a dif weight.. i think i read something like that on www.e85fuel.com.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by dexmix
he's tricking the ecu into thinking it has smaller injectors - which effectively adds more fuel across the board.
well i think get bigger injectors 7 a tune so u can get the real puwer out of e85
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Originally Posted by dexmix

^^ Correct. The stock fuel map is too rich for E85. Instead of 8.5 you should be around 12.5 with the stock injectors.

Quick Reply: E85 + tuned for 93 octane = boom?