Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When car gets toward full boost i lose power abruptly...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When car gets toward full boost i lose power abruptly...

almost like the car hit fuel cut off or blow through. This started happening after a replaced my magnus manifold, so I'm assuming somthing isn't connected back right. I have the map sensor off of the manifold. I put in new plugs and it still does this. I have an AEM ems, but I was tuned right before I had issues w/ my manifold and it was running great. Any body have any idea what can be causing this? The car was idling low after I replaced the manifold so what ever is causing this probably caused the idle to drop as well (I adjusted the throttle to compensate). Car runs well except under heavy boost where the abrupt power loss happens. It feels kinda simular to blowing of your upper IC piping under heavy boost, but I have all new IC and piping and everything is together fine. HELP!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

in AEM is there boost limit tables?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
in AEM is there boost limit tables?
I'm pretty sure there are, but I was boosting 20 psi fine right after the tune, now I only can get to 13-15 psi when this happens.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
post a log and that would help tremendously.

You hook the BOV back up? Do you hear any air rushing out anywhere?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
post a log and that would help tremendously.

You hook the BOV back up? Do you hear any air rushing out anywhere?
Bov is hooked up, no air rushing out. I have a buddy (mitsuorder) that's going to help with a datalog, he thinks it might be from changing the orientation of the map sensor, which might be throwing out of wack readings. Any other idea's/explanations of the cause would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

i would imagine you no longer have the air box on, but if you do, make sure that the snorkle tabs are secure. if they are not, the snorkle collapses in on itself in boost cutting power severely.

other then that, with the AEM you have all the trouble shooting you can need at your finger tips. make absolutely sure you MAP sensor is hooked up to the manifold as close as possible to the actual plenum. also, make sure you are not T-ing off of anything for that sensor. it should have its own nipple onto the plenum (or in the case of the AEM MAP sensor, it actually threads directly into the stock manifold. with the map sensor hooked up correctly, boost leaks wont actually effect how the car runs, the leaks are before the manifold... it will just rob you of ultimate power. i would make sure the AEM is showing the load (psi) that it should see. i suspect that is where your problem is coming from.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

The airbox is off, and I have the map sensor connected directly to the manifold, but that's not where it was originally when I was tuned, could this be an issue?

Thanks KevinD!

Originally Posted by KevinD
i would imagine you no longer have the air box on, but if you do, make sure that the snorkle tabs are secure. if they are not, the snorkle collapses in on itself in boost cutting power severely.

other then that, with the AEM you have all the trouble shooting you can need at your finger tips. make absolutely sure you MAP sensor is hooked up to the manifold as close as possible to the actual plenum. also, make sure you are not T-ing off of anything for that sensor. it should have its own nipple onto the plenum (or in the case of the AEM MAP sensor, it actually threads directly into the stock manifold. with the map sensor hooked up correctly, boost leaks wont actually effect how the car runs, the leaks are before the manifold... it will just rob you of ultimate power. i would make sure the AEM is showing the load (psi) that it should see. i suspect that is where your problem is coming from.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dzraduzit
The airbox is off, and I have the map sensor connected directly to the manifold, but that's not where it was originally when I was tuned, could this be an issue?

Thanks KevinD!
do you have a laptop? Drive down the road and watch the load parameter, or just do a log of a pull. This is all pissing in the wind and playing a guessing game till you do that.

Theres a billion possibilities. Double check that the vacuum line is attatched to the FPR as well, if not the car will go dead lean and make no power, but you should be having other issues.

Just something else to guess at. But do a log and all will be revealed.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

do you have a laptop? Drive down the road and watch the load parameter, or just do a log of a pull. This is all pissing in the wind and playing a guessing game till you do that.

Theres a billion possibilities. Double check that the vacuum line is attatched to the FPR as well, if not the car will go dead lean and make no power, but you should be having other issues.

Just something else to guess at. But do a log and all will be revealed.
Thanks.... yeah I do not have a laptop, but I have a buddy coming to help me out with that this weekend. Car is running more on the rich side, I appreciate your input.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

is the boost cut setup on your aem? What are your air/fuel ratio's during the situation?

You say you replaced your manifold. What happened to the first one?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

is the boost cut setup on your aem? What are your air/fuel ratio's during the situation?

You say you replaced your manifold. What happened to the first one?
Welds gave, it was a Magnus. Boost cut is setup but this is happening well below the cut off, not sure of the exact numbers but it's a little on the rich side (richer than before I changed the manifold out) but nothing extreme.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

1. So you replaced your Magnus with the same manifold?
2. If you are having leaks - do a pressurized leak test.
3. Did you replace your injector grommets with the new manifold?
4. You could spray some WD-40 around flanges and see if it changes your RPM to find possible leaks too.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

bump guys bringing it back from the dead i am having this problem too car is running really rich wideopen throttle 10.0 afr the car was tuned can anyone help me.