Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So whats the trick? Oil pump sproket bolt w/race balance shaft.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So whats the trick? Oil pump sproket bolt w/race balance shaft.

Ok I am in the middle of assembling a new engine and working on the timing belt components, I have eliminated the top balance shaft and the oil pump shaft has been lathed off smooth (Thanks AMS). My question is what’s the trick to now hold the oil pump sprocket to get the bolt tight (40ftlbs +-3lbs)?

Thanks in advance,
GTVEVO
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:01 AM
Account Disabled

Put a portion of the oil pump balance shaft that does not ride on the bearing in a vise to hold it still while you crank it. I always use red loctite in this application for extra security.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Put a portion of the oil pump balance shaft that does not ride on the bearing in a vise to hold it still while you crank it. I always use red loctite in this application for extra security.
That would work but I have already installed it along with the front cover, I was thinking cutting out a wood block to clamp down on the gear so no damage could be done but yet I could still hold the gear. I really don't want to tear it all back down again and risk damage to a gasket if possible.

Red locktight has been my close friend for sure!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not expert but once the front cover is on how are you going to hold the balance shaft in a vice?

I think when you have balance shafts in you put a screwdriver in the hole on the side of the block to stop the sprocket from spinning to tighten it down. Without balance shafts I'm not sure how you do it. Just wedge a screwdriver in somehow to stop the sprocket from spinning?

(Be aware I am a complete novice and don't know what I'm talking about)
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Ok I am in the middle of assembling a new engine and working on the timing belt components, I have eliminated the top balance shaft and the oil pump shaft has been lathed off smooth (Thanks AMS). My question is what’s the trick to now hold the oil pump sprocket to get the bolt tight (40ftlbs +-3lbs)?

Thanks in advance,
GTVEVO
The last thing you want to do is stick a screwdriver between any of the gears of the oilpump......With that said I would just pull the front cover off and "risk" tearing the gasket,which will not happen as it has not even gone through a heat cycle so you should be fine.Do not forget that we are talking about the "heart" of your motor here.Do it right the 1st time and if you need a new gasket then so be it.I would rather wait a day or two for a new gasket then take a shortcut and need a new shortblock and oil pump.You know the old saying,"you never have time to do it right but you always find time to do it again"...
BTW,OT,how much did AMS charge you to turn down your balance shaft as I had mine done by a friend and his charge was $75.00 if anyone is interested.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The proper way to do it is while the front cover is off. I'd recommend removing it and doing it right. If you're really a glutton for risk-taking, I'd recommend as a second possibility taking a section of your old timing belt , a good band clamp, and creating your own "wrench" to fix the sprocket in place while you torque the oil pump to spec. Make sure you keep the gear properly located while you do it, so your torque number is not affected. I second the lock-tite.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the option, I understand all of the things no to do and I understand that this is a vital part that cannot be damaged this is why I was asking if there was any trick because I didn't know of any so I wanted to hear if any others had done this after the front cover has been placed on.

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Just wedge a screwdriver in somehow to stop the sprocket from spinning?

(Be aware I am a complete novice and don't know what I'm talking about)
Its alright man, you have to learn somewhere but that procedure is not a good idea. I am sure you can see that from this thread.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

What do you do if you have one of the stub oil pump gears / shaft?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain
What do you do if you have one of the stub oil pump gears / shaft?
Replace your oil pump and hopefully not your motor when the oil pump fails prematurely. They work great on DSM's but not so good on the evo.You do a "search" on oil pump failures and then you will see that the added support by using a turned down balance shaft helps increase oil pump life.Not saying that spinning the oil pump over 2000 rpms faster then they were designed to spin is not causing the oil pump to fail but the full support from the balance shaft does nothing but help
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There's no hard evidence that a properly done BS removal reduces your motor's life, but I agree with turboDan that a turned down shaft probably does not hurt.

One think you can probably take for sure is that without the other balance shaft, you're less likely to have its balance shaft bearing freeze up and destroy your motor.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
BTW,OT,how much did AMS charge you to turn down your balance shaft as I had mine done by a friend and his charge was $75.00 if anyone is interested.
This is something AMS does along with the shortblock purchase, so you only pay a aditional core for the shaft until it is returned.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

I typically don't put balance shafts back in a car and when I'm working on one with balance shafts its a 6 bolt motor. However you should be able to clamp on the balance shaft with vice grips. Else tear it out and do it right on the bench. Brake cleaner in all the treads, compressed air, and red loctite when your done. Put a new gasket on it and copper spray is **** for those gaskets. All my motors are bone dry and when your sporting a 90' dsm that doesn't drip a drop of oil that pisses people off.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm curious why are you guys so insistent on loctite on the oil pump sprocket? What would happen if the oil pump sprocket retaining nut came loose?

And let me just clearly ask again, is the OP's question in this thread how to tighten the nut on the oil pump sprocket? And was the answer given to put the balance shaft in a vice... then that oil pump gear won't spin, which causes the gear with the shaft which connects to the oil pump sprocket not to spin. Therefore you can torque down the oil pump sprocket.

In the case of the stubby, you can do the same thing and put the stub in a vice.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Another option is torquing it down once you have the timing belt on and you have tension on it. One of those things you have to note down on your "Tod Do" list before cranking the motor.

Quick Reply: So whats the trick? Oil pump sproket bolt w/race balance shaft.