Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo green spool

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you saying that you installed the stock actuator tonight and that you couldn't hit 20# until the motor reached 6000 RPM in 4th or 5th gear?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Are you saying that you installed the stock actuator tonight and that you couldn't hit 20# until the motor reached 6000 RPM in 4th or 5th gear?
no hp wga,, i am installing the stock wga tomorrow.... and no,, it was 3rd.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

So why not f**k around with the adjustable actuator rod a bit? Don't worry about the creep as that is a separate issue. First, I'd try shortening the actuator rod about 2 full turns from where you have it now. See if that impacts on the spool issue.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

So why not f**k around with the adjustable actuator rod a bit? Don't worry about the creep as that is a separate issue. First, I'd try shortening the actuator rod about 2 full turns from where you have it now. See if that impacts on the spool issue.

then my boost will go where I don't want it to be. You don't have to turn the wga to much to make the boost go up...

I was goign to use the stock wga anyways... So once I put that on, adjust my ebc I should be good. I just have to remember and log about where my boost is.. and log after and get it close and log and check my knock counts and make sure I'm in the realm until I get to the tuners again for my cam tune.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

First turn the EBC down to the lowest possible setting and see what boost level that'll produce with the actuator the way it's presently set. Also, I am curious to know if with the FP HP actuator set at its loosest setting and your EBC at its lowest setting what boost number you get.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 8, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

First turn the EBC down to the lowest possible setting and see what boost level that'll produce with the actuator the way it's presently set. Also, I am curious to know if with the FP HP actuator set at its loosest setting and your EBC at its lowest setting what boost number you get.
I did that, and it didn't change much, but didn't get a good test, maybe 1st and 2nd gear..

I know how it is now I might get to about 18 in first, if that,,, then its time to shift.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

6000 RPM and only 20# out of a Green is way slow spool. Mine is getting to about 10# by about 3700 RPM(on a roll) depending on wheteher the street is level or on an incline. If I had the camgears advanced to +1/-1 it would spool considerably quicker than at the present -2/-3 setting.

Stiil I am not satisfied with the lazy spool on mine and I will be hitting Robert up for a 9.0 cm turbine housing. My New Year's resolution is to have my Green 9.0 spooling real close to my old TME 10.5.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Yup the infamous FP HD WGA boost curve hump. You can totally tune that out with ecu-controlled boost because of the 16 RPM points of duty cycle.

I've seen 24psi at 3850 in 3rd gear on the dyno from some Evos with FPgreens, depending on the setup.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i'm putting stock wga on tomorrow and will let everyone know what happens..

right now the car isnt' really fun until about 5500 and up,, so yeah it blows....
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Good to see you're still tuning Razor! Wish I still lived in the Bay Area, then I'd have you set up my car with the 3-port GM solenoid and your modified ECU controlled boost system. That is the cleanest setup and way better than this retro Dejon MBC.

I still want the 9.0 cm housing for my Green as I'd like to see 20# by 2800 RPM like I could on my TME fitted with the original 9.8 housing. Well, maybe I'll see 20# by 3000 if I am lucky.

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
1. make certain your bov is tight & has the hose connected to it

2. swap out your bov

3. do a boost leak check.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Did you adjust the W/G preload after your dyno run? Based on your symptoms it seems like you did and your W/G is never closing. That's why it takes forever to make boost.

-Paul
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
Did you adjust the W/G preload after your dyno run? Based on your symptoms it seems like you did and your W/G is never closing. That's why it takes forever to make boost.
Yeah, I agree with this analysis. The actuator rod is probably set way loose(too long) and the exhaust gas pressure within the turbine housing is lifting the wastegate puck(flapper valve off its seat prematurely, thus slowing spool way down.

I just think that it's kinda weird this occuring with the FP HD actuator. Although, it may be that the actuator rod is set so long that there is no preload whatsoever and the flapper valve is starting to lift off the seat at 11-12 PSI.

I'd say that as a first step, he needs to try shortening the actuator rod on the FP HD unit, just to see if it'll start spooling quicker. If that doesn't work then he can next swap on the stock IX actuator with about 3 turns of preload to see if that cures his slow boost up problem.

I have an FP HD actuator on my Green and I've boosted the turbo to 27 PSI. But, I have never experienced this legendary boost spike that so many complain about. I think that that this spike only occurs when one runs the turbo in its original form as delivered by FP.

I totally ported the exducer area on my Green's turbine housing which removed about 3 PSI of back pressure which normally exists within the housing as delivered. I concluded that those 3 PSI of backpressure are the ones which equate into the notorious boost spike on unported housings.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 9, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I'll adjust the preload on the HP actuator.. But I believe my boost may rise to an unsafe level. I will see and log...
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I have somewhat similar results as the OP with my Green +HD WGA -- Using ONLY wastegate pressure (mbc turned all the way down), it's spiking to 21.5 on pump 93 at like 4k rpm (on boost gauge), but then gradually creeps to 24psi by about 5500-5800rpm.

I believe that this mostly due to the HD WGA - I am only running this as I have plans for meth injection soon; otherwise, go with the stock IX WGA for pump gas... Once I am safely able to spike to 28psi or so on meth, I believe the boost creep will not be present, the HD WGA will then only help to prolong the torque curve up top...

Definitely not as fun to drive as the stock IX/stock WGA on pump gas though...

Oh yeah, I also have a fully ported hotside. Have not had the chance to experiment with adjusting preload yet.

Quick Reply: evo green spool