Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Gas Guage Broken?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Gas Guage Broken?

This morning on my way to work, my low on gas light came on. I went to a Shell gas station which is about 1mi away from my house and filled her up full thank and tapped it abit to make sure its full. After starting the car, the needle on my gas guage went up quickly but did not go all the way to full. The needle was about an 1/8 away from the very top line where your needle usually go when you just put a full tank on. I thought, once I start driving, the needle will eventually hit full but what do I see, the needle actually dropped even more and the gas station to my work is only 7 miles away and I was on the freeway.

After work, I went to the gas station again and try to put more gas. The gas nozzle wouldn't allow anymore gas to the car because it is full and I was only able to put $1.55 worth of gas. After driving away from the station, samething happened, the gas needle didn't go up. Mind you that the car wasn't like this when I got it. It always hit the full tank line. Do you guys think something is wrong with my gas guage or maybe the floater inside the gas tank? This really bothers me so I hope someone can give me an answer. Worst comes to worst, I will have look at it. Thanks guys
Old Jul 18, 2003, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

It may be the gas station. I have had that problem happen once in my Evo and many times in my previous car. It depends on the gas station's pumps I think try a diff station and see if it fills all the way up.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by eternal9
It may be the gas station. I have had that problem happen once in my Evo and many times in my previous car. It depends on the gas station's pumps I think try a diff station and see if it fills all the way up.
At this point, I'm willing to try that. I did go back to the same gas station because it was close to my house.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:13 PM

im pretty its the gas station pump is the problem,it happened to me b4.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of times the recovery part of the pump nozzle gets full of gas and needs to be cleared. It causes the handle to pop over nothing.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 01:53 PM

If changing gas stations does not work, have the techs check out the fuel sending unit. The fuel sending unit is what tells the gas gauge how much fuel is in the tank.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well, my EVO is at my local dealership to check out what is going on with the gas guage reading. They have already ruled out the fuel sending unit being faulty and also have ruled out that something is wrong with the actual gas guage. They have also confirmed the problem by going to the gas station and try filling the car but it is full and the gas guage still doesn't read full. My EVO was in the shop the whole day today and looks like its going to spend another day at the dealership to check some sort of grounding unit and they will let me know.