Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

RRM piggyback problem, gas gauge not accurate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM piggyback problem, gas gauge not accurate

ok so heres the deal, i installed my RRM piggy back this morning and had a full tank of gas when i began, i started it, let it idle for 10 minutes, drove it around for about 25 minutes and then stopped, as i was drivin around i noticed that it seemed like my fuel gauge was dropping a lot quicker than it should have been, so when i was done with the "learning" process i came home and then went back out about 45 minutes later, only to find the car tellin me i had no gas, the low fuel light was on and the needle was almost on the bottom line, so i first thought i had a leak of some kind, but when i got to the gas station the needle was all the way down past the E (just as it would be if the car was off) and i still had 3/4 of a tank of gas, i know this because i tried to fill it and it only took like 6.00, so i know now the gauge is wrong because i have been driving my car all night and the needle just sits there

ok so now, any suggestions on what could be the problem, i'm gonna go back in and look at the wires, but if someone knows for certain that it is a wiring problem could they please point out which wire so i can try to re-solder it, but if its not i'm just going to talk to RRM, however i can't do that until monday because i called and it says there at a race in Mexico(just my luck!)

sorry for the long message, thanx for all ur help!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

im thinkin your fule tank sensor is broken. Its probably just happened at the same time you installed the piggyback.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:29 PM

i hope so, cause i really hope its not the wiring cause i really don't feel like going back in and pullin everything down again, plus where did people put there piggy when they mounted it?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
People mount the piggybacks next to the ECU in that space between the back of the glove box. I'd check your wiring and make sure you didn't touch or mess with a wire that you shouldn't have.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:46 PM

yea thats what i plan on doing as soon as i get time, which should be like in the morning, but if its anything its the first wire that the directions talk about cause i put that one on kinda ghetto
Old Jul 2, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by futurevo
i hope so, cause i really hope its not the wiring cause i really don't feel like going back in and pullin everything down again, plus where did people put there piggy when they mounted it?
check out the link in my signature. there's a pic of where to mount it next to the stock ECU....i'd also check out that 1st wire you said you wired kind of ghetto.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

its funny you should mention the gas gauge and the piggyback combined. I actually noticed last week that my gas gause sticks around half a tank now. From full to half a tank its normal, but then it hangs around half a tank for a while

Then it drops to Empty within like 30 miles. But the tank is really empty when it does that. The problem might just be with my gauge overlays and not with the piggy at all. But the coincidence is a little strange. Especially hearing you have a similiar problem.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 09:50 AM

yea that is weird, i think i'm gonna go back in and re-solder the one wire and just dot he learning process all over again, unless today when i get in my car it fixed itself somehow