Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Installation Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good old article and simple enough to follow
will be doing base line pull and then installing cat delete and hallman controller
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:53 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
cbareng

I’m not sure what you mean by “I ran a new line from the mbc to the wastegate and used the stock vaccum lines from the turbo to the other end of the mb”?

If you have the outlet of the MBC connected to the wastegate actuator then the inlet of the MBC should be connected to a T-Fitting that you install in the stock hose running between the BOV and intake manifold.

Dan (drb)
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:27 PM

hi, if i am overboosting, can mbc help me to drop boost? if i install mbc , boost will be same in all rpm or it will drop on high rpms?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drb
I made the induction box from aluminum sheet and bar stock. It was a real PITA to get it to fit just right, but I wanted a box made of aluminum that utilized the stock air snorkle, and I couldn't find anyone that made them.

Dan (drb)
You should do a write up on the shield. That looks really nice. You could seriously sell those!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by karolis.bou
hi, if i am overboosting, can mbc help me to drop boost? if i install mbc , boost will be same in all rpm or it will drop on high rpms?

Is your Evo totally stock? Is the factory boost control system in place and unaltered? Stock turbo, wastegate, diverter valve, ECU, boost control solenoid, original factory boost/vacuum hose assembly, etc.?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by sparky
Is your Evo totally stock? Is the factory boost control system in place and unaltered? Stock turbo, wastegate, diverter valve, ECU, boost control solenoid, original factory boost/vacuum hose assembly, etc.?

yes its absolutely stock, just i have installed turbo back and now i am overboosting, how can i fix it without remaping?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SpooksEvo
You should do a write up on the shield. That looks really nice. You could seriously sell those!
I agree a write up would be awesome! All those in favor say "I"
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

"i"
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:38 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kirbyryu
I agree a write up would be awesome! All those in favor say "I"

I will probably do a write up but it's definately going to be a month or two before I will have the time. I will be fabbing up another box for the write up so I will have at least one box for sale at that time.

Dan (drb)
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drb
I will probably do a write up but it's definately going to be a month or two before I will have the time. I will be fabbing up another box for the write up so I will have at least one box for sale at that time.

Dan (drb)
If the price were right, I'd definitely be interested. I think it is very functional and unique. Can you do any type of before and after intake temp testing? Many people shy away from cone filters because they're apparently "warm air intakes" and this might be a good option.

Back to topic, I think the BEST way to install an MBC is not to tap the DV line for a boost source, but use the turbo nipple. With the DV method, there have been reports of inconsistent boost. A few others will probably agree with me.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:34 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Yes I will be doing some before and after intake air temperature testing.

I haven't had any problems with inconsistent boost using the DV line but I am going to be trying the turbo nipple method just to see if I see any difference.

In this thread it lists the pro's and con's of using the turbo nipple vs. the BOV line:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=114794

Here are the pros and cons of both hook-ups

1. Hooking it up the compressor outlet nipple:

A. This way gives you less spikes but slower spool up.

B. It does not seem to give repeatable boost. It seems to fluctuate more with the temperature.

C. Boost seems to be harder to control below 15 psi or above 22 psi. Almost everyone who wrote me said this.

D. It is easier to hook up this way. No cutting any boost lines. Plus the lines are kept shorter. (Thus the less spikes).

2. Hooking it to the hose between the BOV and the intake:

A. This way seems to give slightly faster spool up than the other way.

B. It gives more repeatable boost. It doesn't seem to fluctuate as much with temperature differences.

C. The boost seems to be more controllable down to stock turbo levels. (Like down to 7 or 8 psi for a 1G with a stock 14B turbo).

D. It is more work to hook up. You have to cut the hose between the BOV and intake and tee it in. (Not that this is hard, its just
an extra step so I put it in here)

E. Both Hallman and Extreme tell you to do it this way

I'm not sure how accurate this is because I haven't done any testing.

Dan (drb)

Last edited by drb; Apr 21, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I just followed the instructions and double checked our work to make sure it was setup correctly. We started with the hallman all the way turned down and it was at 12psi. We have given it almost 4 full turns now and we're barely hitting 14psi. Did any of you notice you had to turn the controller more turns then you had expected?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

My EBC is tee'd into the compressor housing per AEM's instructions. I wonder how it would be if I tee'd into the DV line.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crusin_lancer
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I just followed the instructions and double checked our work to make sure it was setup correctly. We started with the hallman all the way turned down and it was at 12psi. We have given it almost 4 full turns now and we're barely hitting 14psi. Did any of you notice you had to turn the controller more turns then you had expected?
i am experiencing this problem
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbodemon
i am experiencing this problem
I guess I should have updated this. We cured this problem by switching out the spring in the MBC. I must of overlooked it, but our MBC came with an extra spring which was actually a stiffer spring. Swapped it out and am able to get up to 21psi no problem. Just make sure when you swapped the spring to turn the MBC all the way down as you don't want to overboost.

Quick Reply: MBC Installation Procedure