Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Installation Procedure

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crusin_lancer
I guess I should have updated this. We cured this problem by switching out the spring in the MBC. I must of overlooked it, but our MBC came with an extra spring which was actually a stiffer spring. Swapped it out and am able to get up to 21psi no problem. Just make sure when you swapped the spring to turn the MBC all the way down as you don't want to overboost.
Isn't the stiffer spring provided only if you want to add more than 4-5psi to the stock boost level?

My boost level was about 24psi with a Flash, I added the Hallman and am now at 12-13psi - I'll add the stiffer spring, but..........
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but the original spring it came with wouldn't allow us to boost passed 13psi. The hallman wasn't made specifically for the evo, hence the softer spring.

Our flash tuner doesn't deal with tuning with the stock solenoid, so we were limited to the stock solenoid pressure. We ended up getting the Hallman so we could get tuned for 24psi. The hallman and the stiffer spring made this possible.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, but the original spring it came with wouldn't allow us to boost passed 13psi. The hallman wasn't made specifically for the evo, hence the softer spring.

Our flash tuner doesn't deal with tuning with the stock solenoid, so we were limited to the stock solenoid pressure. We ended up getting the Hallman so we could get tuned for 24psi. The hallman and the stiffer spring made this possible.
Going out to do it now

I have mine hooked up from the turbo outlet and the Wastegate - recommended by another Evo guy. What way did you hook it up?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
Going out to do it now

I have mine hooked up from the turbo outlet and the Wastegate - recommended by another Evo guy. What way did you hook it up?
We actually used the intake manifold as boost reference instead of the turbo. So ours is hooked up to the wastegate and intake manifold/DV. I believe it is Option #2 at the beginning of this thread.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

We actually used the intake manifold as boost reference instead of the turbo. So ours is hooked up to the wastegate and intake manifold/DV. I believe it is Option #2 at the beginning of this thread.
Yeah - I'm the other option #; going out for a test drive now
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info subscribing for when i do mine over the weekend i have a reference!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lowso
thanks for the info subscribing for when i do mine over the weekend i have a reference!
Good luck with your install.

Dan (drb)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:52 PM

how much would you charge for another one of your intake setups. its the nicest i've ever seen. props on the write up btw
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:25 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo845
how much would you charge for another one of your intake setups. its the nicest i've ever seen. props on the write up btw

I wish I had the time but right now I am too busy to start making these for others. It does work very well.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by drb
Here are the pros and cons of both hook-ups

1. Hooking it up the compressor outlet nipple:

A. This way gives you less spikes but slower spool up.

B. It does not seem to give repeatable boost. It seems to fluctuate more with the temperature.

C. Boost seems to be harder to control below 15 psi or above 22 psi. Almost everyone who wrote me said this.

D. It is easier to hook up this way. No cutting any boost lines. Plus the lines are kept shorter. (Thus the less spikes).

2. Hooking it to the hose between the BOV and the intake:

A. This way seems to give slightly faster spool up than the other way.

B. It gives more repeatable boost. It doesn't seem to fluctuate as much with temperature differences.

C. The boost seems to be more controllable down to stock turbo levels. (Like down to 7 or 8 psi for a 1G with a stock 14B turbo).

D. It is more work to hook up. You have to cut the hose between the BOV and intake and tee it in. (Not that this is hard, its just
an extra step so I put it in here)

E. Both Hallman and Extreme tell you to do it this way

I'm not sure how accurate this is because I haven't done any testing.

Dan (drb)

We would never recommend to go with route #2. If you're hooked up using route #2, there is a good probability that if your boost curve is much flatter than going with the compressor for the source, then it is because your BOV/DV is being boost regulated by the MBC. There is no flatter or smoother boost curve than one produced by boost regulation via the BOV/DV, period. However, most people don't have a clue what the truly detrimental effects are of using the BOV/DV to control boost on an exhaust driven turbocharger.

As for #1, there is a reason why the OE uses restrictors in the compressor line signal to attenuate the flow from the compressor so that it isn't so overpowering for the MBC. Using a restrictor will also minimize the post-MAF leak that an MBC creates, since the bleed isn't being brought back into the system like a 3-port or factory BCS does.

If you really want to use vacuum, use a separate line from the BOV/DV straight to the intake manifold. Just bear in mind that you are introducing a vac leak this way since most MBC's are not designed to take vac.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Synapse
We would never recommend to go with route #2. If you're hooked up using route #2, there is a good probability that if your boost curve is much flatter than going with the compressor for the source, then it is because your BOV/DV is being boost regulated by the MBC. There is no flatter or smoother boost curve than one produced by boost regulation via the BOV/DV, period. However, most people don't have a clue what the truly detrimental effects are of using the BOV/DV to control boost on an exhaust driven turbocharger.

As for #1, there is a reason why the OE uses restrictors in the compressor line signal to attenuate the flow from the compressor so that it isn't so overpowering for the MBC. Using a restrictor will also minimize the post-MAF leak that an MBC creates, since the bleed isn't being brought back into the system like a 3-port or factory BCS does.

If you really want to use vacuum, use a separate line from the BOV/DV straight to the intake manifold. Just bear in mind that you are introducing a vac leak this way since most MBC's are not designed to take vac.
I'm a bit confused with your response, are you basically recommending Option #1 and removing all the restrictor pills?...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:05 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I'm a bit confused with your response, are you basically recommending Option #1 and removing all the restrictor pills?...
I'm confused as well. The way I read it they recommend option 1 and they recommend keeping the resrictor pills. I have tried option 1 & option 2 exactly as I described above (without the restritor pills) and both methods worked well for me. Hallman and some other MBC manufacturers recomend option 2.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I would recommend option #1. If you aren't able to raise boost easily this way, then I would use the restrictor pill before MBC.

Either option will work to control boost. But an MBC manufacturer doesn't exactly care what it is doing to the BOV/DV. With the OE and Synapse DV, using option 2 opens up the DV when the MBC starts to boost regulate. You wouldn't really know this unless you can measure the discharge flow at the DV, which we've done and validated. No bueno.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:33 AM

Good writeup.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:36 AM

theres some good info in here im sure will help alot of people.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MBC Installation Procedure