Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo advice and other mods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TKEVO
That's good man. The only thing you have that I don't have is the ARP head studs which I plan to get and the 10.5 hotside. That's impressive. The meth Im looking into that now cause Im really considering but I dont know much about it. thats why I started a forum to learn about meth(not this one another one)
Thanks bro! But like I said, every car responds differently.

Meth is a good thing though.. I love it and will never look back (unless my engine blows). If you have any questions about it, just PM me.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
if all you plan on running is pump or ump /meth:

i suggest getting a used e9 turbo, keep your invidia o2, as it is better than any ebay style o2, as the i.d. of the invidia o2 housing is larger 2.8" vs. 2.4"....if this doesnt matter, than why are people running 3" exhaust....yeah, thats what i thought.

if you want cams, buy some used hks 280's with adj cam gears.

get tuned.

if you have money to spare, get your exh man & turbine housing ported. this will add transient response & mid/top end power too.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Not many 8s with the minor mods I have put those numbers down (meth or race gas). Just like not many IXs with your mods put down over 110whp from stock with just TBE, intake, boost and a FMIC.

Headstuds are safety for high boost. Just like a fuel pump is.

-M
I didn't see stock cams. I retract my previous statement. Still no need for headstuds. Too many cars running 28+ and no problems. I haven't heard of a head going because of it yet. I have heard of more heads leaking because of the installation.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I didn't see stock cams. I retract my previous statement. Still no need for headstuds. Too many cars running 28+ and no problems. I haven't heard of a head going because of it yet. I have heard of more heads leaking because of the installation.
Perhaps, but I also haven't heard of a stock fuel pump not supplying enough fuel to the injectors on stock turbo either..

We are even then..
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Perhaps, but I also haven't heard of a stock fuel pump not supplying enough fuel to the injectors on stock turbo either..

We are even then..
On an 8 yes you need one. I would suggest a IX fuel pump. You can get them very cheap any they will supply almost 390whp. I have yet to max mine out.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

On an 8 yes you need one. I would suggest a IX fuel pump. You can get them very cheap any they will supply almost 390whp. I have yet to max mine out.
What makes you think you need a pump on stock turbo on an 8? What's the flow difference between an 8 and 9? And where's your proof?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

What makes you think you need a pump on stock turbo on an 8? What's the flow difference between an 8 and 9? And where's your proof?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...fuel+pump+test

Do a little research.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

We learned a few interesting things, especially with the EVO VIII & IX pumps. The EVO VIII pump has a pressure relief valve that opens up at around 65-68psi and the flow output drops dramatically after that
So this goes along with my hunch - and that is - unless you are pushing really high boost (which can't be done anyway on pump unless you are running meth) - you won't really need a fuel pump on an VIIIs stock turbo pushing <= 25psi of boost. This goes along with the recommended ARP head studs for very high boost applications that MAY cause the head to lift..

But thanks for the link anyway.. it was a good read!

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Jan 28, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WOT

i suggest getting a used e9 turbo, keep your invidia o2, as it is better than any ebay style o2, as the i.d. of the invidia o2 housing is larger 2.8" vs. 2.4"....if this doesnt matter, than why are people running 3" exhaust....yeah, thats what i thought.

get tuned.

if you have money to spare, get your exh man & turbine housing ported. this will add transient response & mid/top end power too.
Yea I plan on portin and coating my exhaust manifold but I need to get a used one cause its my daily driver.

Would I need 280's insead of 272's? I thought 280's were used for racing and 272's were used for street/strip? 280's would be too much on a stock head or no?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Well I already have an aftermaket Walbro FP
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WOT

get tuned.

Yea I plan on portin and coating my exhaust manifold but I need to get a used one cause its my daily driver.

Would I need 280's insead of 272's? I thought 280's were used for racing and 272's were used for street/strip? 280's would be too much on a stock head or no?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO

I wouldn't do 280's. Stick with the S1's. Proven themselves and great for stock style turbos.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

OK....Megan manifolds....Yes or No? I've heard both sides of the story on these. or should I stay stock and port and coat
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

You can make the same hp as a megan but with more torque on a ported stocker. Also if you know how to port it is free. If not people with the name starting with R and ending with O can do it.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm I don't know. Enlighten me....lol