Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ams Evo Cam Test

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 272 hks top hp

Someone know what is the top hp rated for the hks 272 cams?? I want to get around 650-700whp and i don’t know if with my configuration i will able to do it

• 2.3L Eagle Stroker kit 0.40 8.6:1
• Precision Turbo 6262 .82A/R PTE BB
• 86mm.bore 1mm. thick cometic head gasket
• BC Exhaust valve+1mm. O.S.
• BC Intake Valve +1mm. O.S.
• BC Spring Set
• Balance Shaft eliminator kit
• Custom Ported head
• ARP Head Studs
• Main Arp Studs
• HKS 272 Cams
• Fidanza Cam Gears
• Gates Racing timing belt
• Aluminum Harmonic balancer
• AEM EMS
• 2.0 Liter I4 Turbo INJEN Intake and charge pipe
• Buschur Full Race Intercooler
• Buschur Turbo Out Pipe
• Custom Turbo Header
• Greedy 3” EVO exhaust
• Cat Delete resonator
• HKS Twin Power Ignition Amplifier
• Ralliart Plug Wires
• 880cc Delphi injector
• Obx Fuel rail
• MagnaFuel EFI Fuel Pressure Control Units 35-85 psi
• Dual Walbro 255lph in-tank Fuel Pump
• 8AN feed fuel line upgrade
• 6AN return fuel line upgrade
• Inline Fuel Filter TFX 40 micron 8-AN 300psi
• Aquamist HFS-5 Methanol Injection
• Works Throttle Body
• WR Engine Torque Stiffner
• GFB Blow off Valve
• Blitz Dual SBC i-D Spec R boost controller
• APEXI Turbo Timer
• 44mm. Tial external Wastegate 1.1 Bar
• Custom Oil Catch Can -10 and -8an
• Valve cover fitting upgrade -10an an 8-an (pcv eliminator)
• Avid motor mount kit
• Optima Red Battery
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ All I'm going to say is you are missing a lot of HP because of those POS HKS cams. Look at my before and after. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...stom-cams.html

Move on to a better cam. Go GSC!!! I have a black and I made 675hp, so I think you would be able to get what I am with bigger cams. I make 613hp on only 25psi.

Mikey
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
^ All I'm going to say is you are missing a lot of HP because of those POS HKS cams. Look at my before and after. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...stom-cams.html

Move on to a better cam. Go GSC!!! I have a black and I made 675hp, so I think you would be able to get what I am with bigger cams. I make 613hp on only 25psi.

Mikey
Holy crap! Man that’s over a 100hp different, but what lope will be better for my 2.3l?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crisdiarata
Holy crap! Man that’s over a 100hp different, but what lope will be better for my 2.3l?
Well a lot of people bpt really large duration cams in their strokers but a large duration cam is designed to rev above 9k which our motors do not and you will lose a lot of spool with a huge duration cam. That is why I had a custom cam made for what Greg thought would be the best stroker cam. The advertised duration is only 274*, the same as the S2... However, the effective duration is larger than a S3 and so is the lift. A design like this allowed me to lose no spool and make crazy power out the top. People usually go for large advertised duration cams but pay no attention to the effective duration which is where all the power comes from. I can tell you that my cam doesn't act like a S2, even though it has the same advertised duration.

Mikey
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:48 PM

Mikey
I am currently running hks 272's as well. They came in the car and I'm currently doing a 2.1 build due to the fact of throwing a rod. Think the GSC's would be the best route for my setup. For now Ill be on a red on e85. Also not gonna lie I can hardly tell these cams are their. They dont lope much just sometimes idle will get a bit choppy. I like the lope sound. How do the GSC's sound?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Guys,
ive just installed a set of GSC S2 cams on my almost stock set up and im wonder on how to get the best low end torque without sacrificing much on the high end power.
Should i just follow exactly GSC cams spec's or should i advance the intake cams to get more response?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jameswwt
Hi Guys,
ive just installed a set of GSC S2 cams on my almost stock set up and im wonder on how to get the best low end torque without sacrificing much on the high end power.
Should i just follow exactly GSC cams spec's or should i advance the intake cams to get more response?

Thanks

I have told than for the stock setup hks 272 is your best option, i'dont if is true.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Well a lot of people bpt really large duration cams in their strokers but a large duration cam is designed to rev above 9k which our motors do not and you will lose a lot of spool with a huge duration cam. That is why I had a custom cam made for what Greg thought would be the best stroker cam. The advertised duration is only 274*, the same as the S2... However, the effective duration is larger than a S3 and so is the lift. A design like this allowed me to lose no spool and make crazy power out the top. People usually go for large advertised duration cams but pay no attention to the effective duration which is where all the power comes from. I can tell you that my cam doesn't act like a S2, even though it has the same advertised duration.

Mikey
they need your car to do a custom cams? how much did you pay for the cams?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

i need to trade my hks 272 camssssssssssssss
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:55 AM

Has anyone ever did a cam test on kelford 280's?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crisdiarata
they need your car to do a custom cams? how much did you pay for the cams?
custom are $575 ish but it depends on the blank. dont expect to call them up order custom cams and have them next week though! he grinds in batches and if you want higher than normal lift he may have to go thru a couple batches to find one that can be ground to the specs you need. it may take a couple months.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

880cc injectors are too small for your goal. You also need to ditch the aluminum harmonic balancer and go back to a stock piece. HKS 272s are going to be a major restriction at 600+ whp.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Whats up with a new cam test? Love to see how the new gsc stack up. Also to see how the awd cam and bushur cams stack up aginst the kelford and gsc 272's
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
880cc injectors are too small for your goal. You also need to ditch the aluminum harmonic balancer and go back to a stock piece. HKS 272s are going to be a major restriction at 600+ whp.
stock Harmonic balancer will no hold that power right? why the aluminum are not good?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jameswwt
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Anyone to share?

Quick Reply: Ams Evo Cam Test