Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ams Evo Cam Test

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crisdiarata
they need your car to do a custom cams? how much did you pay for the cams?
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
custom are $575 ish but it depends on the blank. dont expect to call them up order custom cams and have them next week though! he grinds in batches and if you want higher than normal lift he may have to go thru a couple batches to find one that can be ground to the specs you need. it may take a couple months.
You are right on the blanks and it took me 4-5 months to get my cams. However, mine were more than 575 and I didn't have to pay full price. I think they are 800 for a regular customer but not 100% sure. The cams I'm running are more aggresive than JUNs fyi but I'm not giving out the specs. Not sure that Gregs wants them out on the market right now. sorry...

Originally Posted by crisdiarata
stock Harmonic balancer will no hold that power right? why the aluminum are not good?
Stock is good for all the hp you can throw at it.

Mikey
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
You are right on the blanks and it took me 4-5 months to get my cams. However, mine were more than 575 and I didn't have to pay full price. I think they are 800 for a regular customer but not 100% sure. The cams I'm running are more aggresive than JUNs fyi but I'm not giving out the specs. Not sure that Gregs wants them out on the market right now. sorry...

Mikey
Mine were $575 but for an evo 8 so they might be cheaper. Mine should be at my door this friday! Ordered them oct 1st.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m4tt VIII
Can anyone chime in on the new GSC S2 cams? I had a set from ~4 years ago and I was very pleased with them except the idle was very choppy.
I switched from the kelford 272 to the new gsc s2. I had some headwork done at the same time but I LOVE the way the car drives now. The kelfords were a little rough to drive on in my car. Weird idle sometimes, midrange felt soft. Switched to the s2's and the car drives like a stock car again. Smooth idle, off idle throttle feels nice and smooth and the car trapped mid 140s on a very conservative tune. Mind you it was a 6262 at 40psi on a quartermaster but as stock driving as it can get for 700+hp.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheatley
I switched from the kelford 272 to the new gsc s2. I had some headwork done at the same time but I LOVE the way the car drives now. The kelfords were a little rough to drive on in my car. Weird idle sometimes, midrange felt soft. Switched to the s2's and the car drives like a stock car again. Smooth idle, off idle throttle feels nice and smooth and the car trapped mid 140s on a very conservative tune. Mind you it was a 6262 at 40psi on a quartermaster but as stock driving as it can get for 700+hp.
Looks like I'll have a set of HKS 272's for sale if anyone is interested.....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Midnightevo8
Looks like I'll have a set of HKS 272's for sale if anyone is interested.....
hahaha mee too... lol
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what cam would you all suggest for a 4g64 block with a E7 4g63 head and a BC 2.6 Stroker kit that mostly a DD and the occasional Time Attack hill climb?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Great Thread, just finished reading. I guess im on the late train, but GREAT work AMS! So this might be why i see new greddy easy cams go on Ebay for about what one might pay for an intake kit?

How much for the hks cams? lol
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheatley
what do you mean it felt rough? i have kelfords and my car seems fine. im curious what you mean. the only negative i have to say regarding kelfords is they are prone to create phantom knock because they make so much damn valvetrain noise.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO

Mikey
Ok stock harmonic balancer is good for al the hp, but what's wrong woth the aluminum harmonic balancer, why people don't like it?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

awesome test, i find mixed reviews on the kelford 272s and im really leaning towards the fp4rs with a close second of bf272s for my lr2.0 black setup....any insight?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

i have the fp4rs in my IX and love them switched from cossi m2's.....the 4rs are more on the aggresive side and i pickd up alot of midrange and top end power thinking about eventually going to 5rs when i get headwork done
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Hi guys,a month has passed since ive installed a GSC S2 camshafts and i just wonder why my turbo still kick in late around 3,700rpm and when the turbo kicks in, ive a massive knock (60~80) shown on my PFC commander.
Why?
Btw, ive not re-tune my ride yet...
Is this normal? or should i advance or retard the cams deg or just follow according to GSC spec's in order to achieve low end & mid range response???
Old Dec 8, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Retune your car immedietly. Cams need a tune
Old Dec 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HighwayStarX
Retune your car immedietly. Cams need a tune
agreed
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jameswwt
Hi guys,a month has passed since ive installed a GSC S2 camshafts and i just wonder why my turbo still kick in late around 3,700rpm and when the turbo kicks in, ive a massive knock (60~80) shown on my PFC commander.
Why?
Btw, ive not re-tune my ride yet...
Is this normal? or should i advance or retard the cams deg or just follow according to GSC spec's in order to achieve low end & mid range response???
Thanks Guys, i'll re-tune my car asap but again how about the cams setting?
Anyone knows what is the best setting for GSC S2 cams on stock turbo in order to achieve great low and mid end torque and hopefully improve turbo spooling.

Or should i just follow the cams setting spec's from GSC for my S2 cams?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ams Evo Cam Test